Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My uncle is at Providence in Novi and I have to get there for a code conference. I hate to leave Ravine and Roq alone...

Thanks for the updates Gnome and Res.... I too remember him fondly over all these years of posting. My prayers too are with him.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    My uncle is at Providence in Novi and I have to get there for a code conference. I hate to leave Ravine and Roq alone...
    So understand that comment. Did home hospice for three people almost all at the same time frame. Trying to get to Florida to see my aunt who at 90 is failing. It will happen.

Today just dealing with 3 dogs getting shots and one ailing pup. Only two are ours.

Growing old is not for the weak. Best wishes of course for due recovery! sumas

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    So understand that comment. Did home hospice for three people almost all at the same time frame. Trying to get to Florida to see my aunt who at 90 is failing. It will happen.

Today just dealing with 3 dogs getting shots and one ailing pup. Only two are ours.

Growing old is not for the weak. Best wishes of course for due recovery! sumas
    I didn't know you were up at the hospital sitting with Ravine and Roq like Gnome has been.

Well...this is going to be awkward and a little strange, but I have to say that it's really eye-opening and comforting to see all these kind words about my father. He told me about his online presence, and I always thought that he was probably overstating his popularity and infamy. I'm glad to see that he was not. A few years ago, I gave brief consideration to joining the forums that he frequented, but honestly, I felt as if he could be himself with you guys and I didn't want to ruin that. He didn't really censor himself around me, but I was worried that he wouldn't be as comfortable here if I was around. This was his thing. Besides, who wants to hang out with their super lame father anyway?

I wanted to join the forum[[s) just to see a side of him that I never really saw, and to also tell you guys about a side of him that he may have never told you. It's been pretty cool meeting the handful of you that I've met the past few days, and I can't overstate how much you guys have helped ease my burden over the course of the past couple weeks. When I first found out he was ill, I figured I'd have to shoulder this burden alone, but you guys have really stepped up and been there when BOTH OF US needed you the most. I truly appreciate that.

From what I've read, my father is really admired for his writing ability. He's truly masterful with the language, but I'm sure a few of you have read his lengthy diatribes only to go, "He wrote ALL THAT to say that one simple thought?" Can you imagine what it was like having to sit through him verbalize those things?!?! There were times when I would see him walk up to me and go, "Michael..." and I knew I was in for a long discussion about the Tigers from which I would not be able to escape. "It took you 2 hours to tell me how great Al Kaline was?"

Speaking of baseball, I've seen my father cry twice. Once was when I was about 8 years old. My mom was late picking me up from school, and I lived on the same street as my school - only a few miles down. So I figured, "Eh... I can walk from here." This was of course before cell phones [[speaking of which, I'm 32 years old by the way) so when my mom finally arrived, no one knew where I was or had any way of contacting me. I could have been lost, kidnapped, etc. My parents were frantic, but my mom drove down the street toward home and found me only a couple of blocks away. When she got me home, they both hugged me and cried while I stood there thinking, "What's the big deal? I was just walking home."

The other time was when I met Al Kaline, took a picture with him, and showed my dad.

You guys know my father's internet persona, which I can assure you is IDENTICAL to his real life persona. Let me tell you about who he was a father. My father raised me to be a gentleman. He taught me to open doors for women, say please/thank you, and just conduct myself like a good man. He was FAR from a neat freak, but he was also kind of germ-a-phobe. He NEVER let me touch the inside of a bathroom door. He told me to open the door with the paper towel I used to dry my hands. He never let me touch the lever on the toilet. I was always to flush the toilet with my foot [[again, this was before the automatic ones). He taught me to read and write by reading to me every night as a child. To this day, I still feel as if I wouldn't be anywhere near the writer that I am if it were not for those bedtime stories. Most importantly, he taught me BY EXAMPLE to instill all of these traits in MY son. So not only will his name live on, but who he was a man and a father will live on, and he can always be proud of that.

I look forward to getting to meet some more of you. I welcome all of you to the hospital. There are no visiting hours, so you can come whenever you're free. You just have to come through the emergency entrance if you come after 9. I'll be staying overnight tonight. Again, I'd like to thank you all for showing so much support for my father, as well as introducing me to a side of him I've never seen. I appreciate the hell outta you guys, goddammit.

Wishing for a smooth transition on Ravines new journey.

We no doubt crossed paths over the years, probably crossing swords more than anything but I have respect for all old Dyesers.

Good post Kid.

Well, my post was ill-timed. I regret to inform you all that my father has passed.

Very sorry to hear that.

It is wonderful to meet you, Ravine the Younger. I hope you will join us for many a day into the future. You have all my sympathy for your loss. Keeping him close in friendship and memory, I will miss one who was a source of strength and inspiration.

PS, when you have time, check out the first page or so of the thread on the Detroit Connections side, Paging Gazhekwe.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-05-14 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I didn't know you were up at the hospital sitting with Ravine and Roq like Gnome has been.
    I was identifying with how hard it is to deal with life threatening issues. didn't see you sitting with my husband when he almost died. Or for that matter my surgeries either.

I should be able to express concern. prayers and support without some ass dissing me

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine_82 View Post
    Well, my post was ill-timed. I regret to inform you all that my father has passed.
    Memories are never ill timed. Thank you for sharing some. Please post what charity we could contribute to.

I'm sorry for your loss. I was in the blue jacket when you entered your father's room to say goodbye. He would have been pleased that his final sight was looking at Roq because he loved her very much. I hope there's some small comfort knowing that he was surrounded by friends and people who loved him. I will miss you Ravine and I'm proud to have called you a friend.

Godspeed,

Cheddar Bob

My heartfelt sympathy to you and all his loved ones. I considered Mike a friend and truly admired him. I also know he loved you a lot

Sorry for your loss.

God bless you , Ravine.

Sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Ravine/Gully.

Well...this is going to be awkward and a little strange, but I have to say that it's really eye-opening and comforting to see all these kind words about my father. He told me about his online presence, and I always thought that he was probably overstating his popularity and infamy. I'm glad to see that he was not. A few years ago, I gave brief consideration to joining the forums that he frequented, but honestly, I felt as if he could be himself with you guys and I didn't want to ruin that. He didn't really censor himself around me, but I was worried that he wouldn't be as comfortable here if I was around. This was his thing. Besides, who wants to hang out with their super lame father anyway?

I wanted to join the forum[[s) just to see a side of him that I never really saw, and to also tell you guys about a side of him that he may have never told you. It's been pretty cool meeting the handful of you that I've met the past few days, and I can't overstate how much you guys have helped ease my burden over the course of the past couple weeks. When I first found out he was ill, I figured I'd have to shoulder this burden alone, but you guys have really stepped up and been there when BOTH OF US needed you the most. I truly appreciate that.

From what I've read, my father is really admired for his writing ability. He's truly masterful with the language, but I'm sure a few of you have read his lengthy diatribes only to go, "He wrote ALL THAT to say that one simple thought?" Can you imagine what it was like having to sit through him verbalize those things?!?! There were times when I would see him walk up to me and go, "Michael..." and I knew I was in for a long discussion about the Tigers from which I would not be able to escape. "It took you 2 hours to tell me how great Al Kaline was?"

Speaking of baseball, I've seen my father cry twice. Once was when I was about 8 years old. My mom was late picking me up from school, and I lived on the same street as my school - only a few miles down. So I figured, "Eh... I can walk from here." This was of course before cell phones [[speaking of which, I'm 32 years old by the way) so when my mom finally arrived, no one knew where I was or had any way of contacting me. I could have been lost, kidnapped, etc. My parents were frantic, but my mom drove down the street toward home and found me only a couple of blocks away. When she got me home, they both hugged me and cried while I stood there thinking, "What's the big deal? I was just walking home."

The other time was when I met Al Kaline, took a picture with him, and showed my dad.

You guys know my father's internet persona, which I can assure you is IDENTICAL to his real life persona. Let me tell you about who he was a father. My father raised me to be a gentleman. He taught me to open doors for women, say please/thank you, and just conduct myself like a good man. He was FAR from a neat freak, but he was also kind of germ-a-phobe. He NEVER let me touch the inside of a bathroom door. He told me to open the door with the paper towel I used to dry my hands. He never let me touch the lever on the toilet. I was always to flush the toilet with my foot [[again, this was before the automatic ones). He taught me to read and write by reading to me every night as a child. To this day, I still feel as if I wouldn't be anywhere near the writer that I am if it were not for those bedtime stories. Most importantly, he taught me BY EXAMPLE to instill all of these traits in MY son. So not only will his name live on, but who he was a man and a father will live on, and he can always be proud of that.

I look forward to getting to meet some more of you. I welcome all of you to the hospital. There are no visiting hours, so you can come whenever you're free. You just have to come through the emergency entrance if you come after 9. I'll be staying overnight tonight. Again, I'd like to thank you all for showing so much support for my father, as well as introducing me to a side of him I've never seen. I appreciate the hell outta you guys, goddammit.

Tldr,
    goddammit.

Ravine_82 and Roq,

So sorry for your loss. Ravine will be missed. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Kathleen

Tldr,
    goddammit.
    Yes, what he would have said, for sure. But in a loving way, of course.

My sincere condolences to you and your family Ravine_Jr, and to Roq.

It is apparent that you are a mirror of the man you describe. He now lives on in you. May your days ahead be blessed.

Res

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Yes, what he would have said, for sure. But in a loving way, of course.

That's right.

FYI, Ravine82 is a very nice man.

Not like his dad at all.

That's right.

FYI, Ravine82 is a very nice man.

Not like his dad at all.
    Not too many like Ravine/Gully

So sorry for your loss. He will be terribly missed!

Stromberg2

I was only a lurker in the time frame that Ravine was posting very often. He had a terrific
    sense of humor and will be missed. Glad he had forum friends and his family with him at the
    end.

Thank you to everyone for the thoughts and prayers; they were much appreciated. I want to give special thanks to gnome, Cheddar Bob, Stosh, LodgeDodger and jcole for the support you've given me; I don't know what I would have done without you all. You mean the world to me.

I'm going to finish with a special lyric that Ravine sent to me early on that's giving me great comfort now.

"Suddenly I turned around and she was standin’ thereWith silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
    She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
    “Come in,” she said, “I’ll give you shelter from the storm"

I love you Ravine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast