Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

RIP Ravine.... my condolences Ravine_82 and Roq... and to all that were there for support [[my good friend Gnome)... you are a true friend....

Mon ami! I never met Jmike in the flesh. He told me once that he preferred that nickname. Back in the year 2007, It took a handful of Forum members to encourage me to continue the schmaltz I offered. That being; I wrote about old Detroit during the Great Depression years, the War years, the Happy years and then,,, the fading years. Ravine was forever [[literally) my cheer leader. Never a word of decline. I knew from the start that he was a Maverick. There are no Mavericks quite the same so they get capitalized. It takes one to know one. Each one is special. Ravine was exciting to me. A little bit here and a little bit there and he could create a concoction [[to prepare by combining raw materials) that is unadulterated. The real thing. We had kept up an association via E-mail and/or Notifications. I had sent two Notifications in July, but never received an answer. I was sure that he would retaliate sooner or later. And now he has. Now, nothing but sadness and a few tears…..and yet there are many good memories to dry the eyes and bring on a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Mon ami! I never met Jmike in the flesh. He told me once that he preferred that nickname. Back in the year 2007, It took a handful of Forum members to encourage me to continue the schmaltz I offered. That being; I wrote about old Detroit during the Great Depression years, the War years, the Happy years and then,,, the fading years. Ravine was forever [[literally) my cheer leader. Never a word of decline. I knew from the start that he was a Maverick. There are no Mavericks quite the same so they get capitalized. It takes one to know one. Each one is special. Ravine was exciting to me. A little bit here and a little bit there and he could create a concoction [[to prepare by combining raw materials) that is unadulterated. The real thing. We had kept up an association via E-mail and/or Notifications. I had sent two Notifications in July, but never received an answer. I was sure that he would retaliate sooner or later. And now he has. Now, nothing but sadness and a few tears…..and yet there are many good memories to dry the eyes and bring on a smile.
    I really appreciate these kinds words - yours, as well as everyone else's. It's both comforting and astounding to see such a strong outpouring of support and kind words for a man that many of you never had the fortune of meeting. I've enjoyed seeing this side of him, and it pleases me to know that he touched some of your lives in a way that was impactful enough to make ME not feel so alone through all of this. As much as I'd rather have him back, I've met some truly amazing people the past couple weeks who *almost* give me faith in humanity.

Ravine_82- will you post the online obit. if there is one?

Funeral plans are being roughed in by the family. They will have a meeting today or tomorrow to start firm up locations and times.

What we know is that the day will be December 20th, mid to late morning. The funeral home is A. H. Peters. The service could be there or not.

Several folks have stepped up and have asked what they can do. A woodworking squad will be making the urn, and another member has volunteered to design the funeral brochure. We need a writer for the brochure.

Dont be shy, but I think the writer needs to be local as you will need to meet with folks.

You can PM me.

My condolences, Ravine_82. Prayers to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Ravine_82- will you post the online obit. if there is one?
    Pam, This is from AH Peter's website:
    James Michael "Mike" LaCombe, December 5, 2014 died after a brief illness. Survived by beloved companion Sabrina O'Brien Bennett; sons Michael Aaron [[fiancée Katrina Adam) and David Alan; grandson Michael Aaron, Jr; brother Charles R. LaCombe, JR. [[Kathleen); the mother of his children, Brenda Bullock LaCombe, and her mother [[Hazel Bullock), and dear friends and relatives. Memorial Service Saturday December 20 From 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM at A.H.Peters Funeral Home, 20705 Mack Ave at Vernier Road in Grosse Pointe Woods.
    http://obit.ahpeters.com/obitdisplay...isting=Current

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Pam, This is from AH Peter's website:

http://obit.ahpeters.com/obitdisplay...isting=Current
    Thanks. I don't see anything about suggested charities. Do you know if there is one?

Thanks. I don't see anything about suggested charities. Do you know if there is one?
    I haven't heard of any; I'll ask

Ravine's memorial service is today.

A. H. Peters on Vernier and Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods. 11 a - 2p

no, it will not be a 3 hour service. More like a Visit and some story telling. Slide in, slide out, slide by, say hi.

afterglow at Circa 1890 on Cass Ave

Can't make it, but I'd still like to do a donation. Any update on suggested charities?

Can't make it, but I'd still like to do a donation. Any update on suggested charities?
    Nothing was mentioned about donations at the funeral home; I'll try and check with Roq.

Pam, Roq says that nothing specific was chosen but she thinks Cub at Georgia Street would be a good fit for donations in Mike [[LaCombe)'s name.
    Info here: http://www.georgiastreetcc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Pam, Roq says that nothing specific was chosen but she thinks Cub at Georgia Street would be a good fit for donations in Mike [[LaCombe)'s name.
    Info here: http://www.georgiastreetcc.com/
    Ok, thank you.

Nice suggestion. GSCC is so worthy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3