Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gold Cash Gold: Transformation complete!

Restaurant opens this weekend!

While seeing the David Whitney [[and other large projects downtown) finishing up work is PHENOMENAL news.... it's also GREAT to see smaller buildings getting rehabbed to continue greater downtown's transformation!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.43.42 PM.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  49.8 KB

Today!
    Name:  B34X62PCEAA5G-N.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; December-02-14 at 04:49 PM.

Wow! How cool! Is this really a restaurant or just a revamp of a pawn shop? I'm glad to see a functional thriving building in the D -- not abandoned and scrapped, or or tagged to death!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-02-14 at 08:21 PM.

Yep, it BE a restaurant......!! Wild to leave much of the original 'pawn shop' look, feel and wording on the building! Here's some more info:

Gold Cash Gold [[PREVIEW) – Detroit MI

Three Glorious Lofts Still Available Above Gold Cash Gold
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-02-14 at 08:40 PM.

What's the menu like there?

Good riddance to the awful pawn shop. Hello hip cool restuarant with no retail.

I really like how they modified it, but preserved the history. It looks good, but gives more than a nod to the past.

Looks like a respectable pawn shop if ever one to exist.

This looks great, but I definitely see some people being confused. I was.

I think it is fine and dandy if some people are confused at first. Two+ hour waits for a table are no fun. Maybe that'll keep initial crowds at bay somewhat [[she imagines hopefully ...)

The "Farmstead restaurant" moniker is not just jumping on the trendwagon for GCG's chef Josh Stockton. He grew up with family-farm-based holidays, and still has a familial connection to Berkshire hogs. I'll be ordering the pork!

http://detroit.eater.com/2014/7/8/61...old-talks-pork

http://goo.gl/4uYiRM

Well this is bizarre. I wonder how often people are going to show up with their stuff to try and sell?

is this the joint just up the block from Slows BBQ?

and it IS a restaurant right?

Yes, and Yes.

Les Gold [[the owner of American Jewelry & Loan) inherited that pawn shop from his father. There was a Hardcore Pawn episode about them [[Les and the kids) selling the building.

I'm one of the partners and also a longtime DYes member. Can't wait for you guys to check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    I'm one of the partners and also a longtime DYes member. Can't wait for you guys to check us out!
    will you have mexican/latin dishes?

Good luck with the new venture.
    It looks like it is going to be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post

Have heard all good things from the folks who made it to the "soft" opening. A very welcome addition to the neighborhood. Thank you

Seems like a VERY limited menu according to the news article. But I will definitely need to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    will you have mexican/latin dishes?
    Certain items will have latin influence from time to time. For instance, on the opening menu, we're serving braised pork cheek with green chiles, slow-poached potato and radish salad.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Good luck with the new venture.
    It looks like it is going to be really cool.
    Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Have heard all good things from the folks who made it to the "soft" opening. A very welcome addition to the neighborhood. Thank you
    Thanks preserve, at heart we're a neighborhood joint but also hope to bring a lot of new eyes on the dining scene in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Seems like a VERY limited menu according to the news article. But I will definitely need to try it out.
    Our opening menu has 24 items total [[includes sides & dessert), so you'll have options. And being a strictly seasonal restaurant, we'll rotate dishes and print new menus very often. Right now you'll see a lot of braised meat, root veg, citrus, autumn herbs, etc but soon enough it'll be spring chicken, asparagus, english peas, rhubarb, and the like. See you soon!

@ eliboyer , when is the official open ? will it be open this weekend or next week ?

Lets hope the front house management ensures that the waitstaff and bartenders provide what has been lacking at Slows --- quality, friendly service. Slows staff can score the trifecta of rude, arrogant and condescending with little effort.
    Last edited by detroitbob; December-06-14 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Lets hope the front house management ensures that the waitstaff and bartenders provide what has been lacking at Slows --- quality, friendly service. Slows staff can score the trifecta of rude, arrogant and condescending with little effort.
    Maybe that's where the name came from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast