Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Brady Hoke is Fired!

Former University of Michigan football head coach Brady Hoke is Fired!

And here's the proof!

http://www.freep.com/sports/

Looks like it turn out to be a 'Brady joke!'

Just when I had lost all hoke that they were going to do something.

Guess he's got "hoke" on his face.
    Hop his replacement doesn't have his "hoke" in the ground when rebuilding next years team!

The worst kept secret ever.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-02-14 at 05:10 PM.

damn, we all knew this sad day was approaching

It was pretty obvious. Even if he had beaten OSU he still would've been shown the door.

His team floundered on the field and that wasn't gonna fly with the Michigan alumni base. They expect better. To get the beat down from MSU and OSU on a regular basis is more than what those folks can stomach. They haven't been relevant in about ten years.

But I also think a lot of this has to do with the fired AD, David Brandon. He seemed like the prime dope that wanted to re-brand Michigan with upping the ticket prices on the kids and do gimmicky things like fireworks, sky writing and a whole host of other Barnum & Bailey-esque stunts that just doesn't fit classic collegiate football.

Comment on Michigan coaching search - "Captain Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects."

Any word from Jim Harbaugh if he wants to be head coach of the University of Michigan's football team?

He will say 'HELL NO!! I'm better off coaching an NFL team that win playoffs and Super Bowls.'

In the meantime MSU Spartans football team might get the Orange Bowl! Conner Cook still all American star quarterback.

Remember this Wolverine fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-zGhbKhAI
    Last edited by Danny; December-03-14 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    They haven't been relevant in about ten years.

But I also think a lot of this has to do with the fired AD, David Brandon. He seemed like the prime dope that wanted to re-brand Michigan with upping the ticket prices on the kids and do gimmicky things like fireworks, sky writing and a whole host of other Barnum & Bailey-esque stunts that just doesn't fit classic collegiate football.
    Well, seven years to be precise. Lloyd Carr's final season ended with a New Years Day bowl win over #9 [[and defending national champion) Florida...coached by a guy named Urban Meyer, with a Heisman-winning quarterback named Tim. The year before that, they were ranked #2 headed into a close showdown with #1 Ohio State. Make no mistake, the irrelevance began with Rich Rodriguez.

Then-AD Bill Martin believed the hype that casual fans fed him--namely, that "the game is changing. Everything is going to spread offense." Martin bought-in, and Rodriguez went scorched earth with the entire program, in a case of ego gone awry.

Enter Dave Brandon. Brandon, IMHO, wanted an atmosphere that revolved around him [[Read John U. Bacon for more). So he conducted an extensive coaching search that involved interviewing one candidate. From Day One, Dave Brandon wanted a coach that was low-maintenance and would remain subservient to him. I find it hard to believe that the AD who wanted "A Super Bowl every week" would have been able to stomach a vocal, no-nonsense coach like a Harbaugh or Miles. Brandon wanted a lap dog, and he got it with Hoke.

By all accounts, Brady Hoke is a great guy, and I wish him well. He was simply promoted beyond his capability. I think he can take this experience and become a fantastic defensive line coach at another program--hell, I'd be okay with him coaching D-line at Michigan again.

Some people say Michigan is outmoded. I don't believe that for one second. You look at Alabama, Michigan State [[among others), and they're winning by playing dominant smashmouth old school Big Ten Woody-and-Bo football. I think Michigan got caught flat-footed in Keeping Up With the Joneses. That's where the mistakes were made--in trying to be "modern" and "cool" and "flashy". This team needs some coaching-up, and a leader who can get the best out of them, improving them week-to-week. This is where a no-bullshit motivator like Schembechler is needed. It may not be a Harbaugh. It may not be Les Miles. But I'm convinced there's a cantankerous sonofabitch out there who's hungry to run over people. And if he's dying to run over guys named Meyer and D'Antonio, so much the better.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; December-03-14 at 09:22 AM.

Maybe its time to bring Lloyd Carr out from retirement.

As a 3-semester alumnus, I'm ticked. This guy gets fired from coaching football [[and, ultimately, losing a lot), and he gets a $3 million bonus for his failure. Most of the graduating seniors this year will have tens of thousands in debt to pay back, and likely won't be getting any lucrative dream jobs right out of the gate. God bless higher education.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Some people say Michigan is outmoded. I don't believe that for one second. You look at Alabama, Michigan State [[among others), and they're winning by playing dominant smashmouth old school Big Ten Woody-and-Bo football. I think Michigan got caught flat-footed in Keeping Up With the Joneses.
    I wouldn't go that far. Alabama has a the best receiver in football, and is almost always one of the fastest teams on both sides of the ball [[esp. defense). They are somewhat more run-oriented than other elite programs, but that probably has more to do with the fact the have the best offensive line every single season, and don't need to throw as much.

When you are [[on paper) the best team, year after year, and essentially favored in every game you play, it's rather foolish to completely open up the passing game. You play an average, conservative game and you'll win, against anyone in college football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Alabama has a the best receiver in football, and is almost always one of the fastest teams on both sides of the ball [[esp. defense). They are somewhat more run-oriented than other elite programs, but that probably has more to do with the fact the have the best offensive line every single season, and don't need to throw as much.

When you are [[on paper) the best team, year after year, and essentially favored in every game you play, it's rather foolish to completely open up the passing game. You play an average, conservative game and you'll win, against anyone in college football.
    You never watched a game coached by Woody or Bo, did you? Thanks for making my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You never watched a game coached by Woody or Bo, did you? Thanks for making my point.
    Woody and Bo had a receiver with nearly 3,000-4,000 yards per season? And a an option quarterback who regularly picks up big yards, esp. on 3rd and long? And cover corners with 4.4 speed? Uh-huh.

SEC football is basically anti-Bo football. Alabama, as the class of the SEC, just plays it a bit more conservative, because they are [[at least in terms of talent) always the best team on the field. They don't need to make big plays, they need to not make big mistakes, and they'll win, against anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Woody and Bo had a receiver with nearly 3,000-4,000 yards per season? And a an option quarterback who regularly picks up big yards, esp. on 3rd and long? And cover corners with 4.4 speed? Uh-huh.

SEC football is basically anti-Bo football. Alabama, as the class of the SEC, just plays it a bit more conservative, because they are [[at least in terms of talent) always the best team on the field. They don't need to make big plays, they need to not make big mistakes, and they'll win, against anyone.
    What are you even talking about, son? I mean, thanks for regurgitating the ESPN / USA Today narrative, but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

What's next--you're going to suggest Michigan should find a coach who knows how to run a spread offense? LOL. Run along now....

Wonder if he ever grasped the state he coached in: http://mvictors.com/audio/2011/hokesounds/godsakes.mp3
    Last edited by Smirnoff; December-03-14 at 05:33 PM.