Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dimitri Hegemmann discusses plans for Fisher Body Plant 21

Germany's Dimitri Hegemann was in Detroit today to discuss his plans for turning Piquette Avenue's Fisher Body Plant 21 into a music and arts venue.

Did anyone attend his lecture?

Hegemann is part of the 'Detroit Berlin Connection' and is credited with creating the Tresor nightclub in Berlin and other re-habs of old East Berlin Buildings.

Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  41.4 KB

I shot the above pic standing on Piquette at Fisher 23, looking up the road towards Fisher 21.

i really hope this happens! although some people would look down on this sort of thing, it would generate a start to a possibly major club scene that is lacking in detroit. I could picture this area becoming an area similar in New York City...a warehouse club called Stage 48. another called Pacha. Space in Miami. These are places every young, partying out-of-towner visits. It would be nice to say Detroit has one of these huge warehouse type of clubs.

... but I want to know his timeframe for getting this done.

The Piquette Avenue area is historic, but pretty desolate. I've hung out there a bit and found it to be very empty, both day and night. Not sure what crime is like there after dark, however. If it begins attrracting robbers looking to get one over the tourists, that's a problem.

Here's the older post on the topic: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...into-Nightclub

I don't like Hegemann's chances of turning MCS into a music venue. Although it could be done [[it's a much better location and the retail/hotel/lofts, etc, would work) Matty Maroun isn't interested in techno.

I mean, what sort of profit will Hegeman get from a multi-level disco covering an entire city block? It's a big task he's taking on.