Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default He's Ba-aack. Kwame Kilpatrick to get Appeals Hearing

The US Court of Appeals has agreed to listen to Kwame Kilpatrick's appeal that he did not get a fair trial. He is citing the issue that he was forced to go to trial with a lawyer he didn't want.

Kilpatrick's longtime defense attorney, James Thomas, and his associate were working for a law firm that was suing Kilpatrick over the same alleged crimes of which Thomas was defending him, according to the filing.
    Source and more at the Detroit Free Press

Fortunately the circus won't be here. The Court of Appeals for this area is in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The US Court of Appeals has agreed to listen to Kwame Kilpatrick's appeal that he did not get a fair trial. He is citing the issue that forced to go to trial with a lawyer he didn't want.

Source and more at the Detroit Free Press

Fortunately the circus won't be here. The Court of Appeals for this area is in Cincinnati.
    Interesting timing. With protesters complaining the legal system stacked against blacks in Ferguson. So maybe the protesters are right and KK got shafted.

I would think his appeal was filed long before Ferguson.

Kwame was a lawyer and he has plenty of time to hit the books. He is smart too. Unfortunately he was also foolish.

An yet again Kwame reaches into the taxpayers' wallets.

I should probably correct myself. The circus will be in Cincinnati but could come to town IF he wins his appeal and doesn't get a change of venue. Lawyers correct me if that is wrong.

I would think his appeal was filed long before Ferguson.

Kwame was a lawyer and he has plenty of time to hit the books. He is smart too. Unfortunately he was also foolish.
    Yeah. No doubt. But more fun to assign conspiracy theories. Guys gotta have some fun.

If Dick Cheney is allowed to be free then Kwame should be free.

Willi Guest

Taxpayers pay for everything - and they should PROTEST vigorously -
    Yell loudly , with megaphones, signs, banners, etc. for a final NO from the judge.
    He should not be allowed to waste another penny from anyone.

That guy should sit and rot . No time off, no special anything, just ordinary prison time.

Damn, I feel like Im the only guy who feels a little bad for the guy. The American prison system is overcrowded and underfunded. No doubt the privatized prison corporations are making bank but prison today is a sentence verging on the line of torture. As see it a young man who obviously was not raised right but was raised in the proper circles got his hand caught in a big ass cookie jar. How is keeping him in prison for 25 years gong to improve things? His indigence is what bothers me most but I would think maybe a shorter sentence would be whats proper if it could somehow be understood that he takes responsibility for his thieving. Prison is supposed to be a correctional facility not a retribution facility.

Prison I believe has become obsolete when it comes to non violent offenders. Those of you who think otherwise are just old and in the way.

The guy stole 90 mil from those of us Detroiters who actually pay taxes, and helped engineer the bankruptcy of Detroit. F 'em. Those who think otherwise are high on their own supply.

A lot worse goes on ever day on Wall Street.

Its he judicial system I have lost faith in KK no doubt fucked us all but putting ppl in prison for so many years only serves a vengeful attitude. Now it costs $50,000 a year to keep him and over another one million non violent offenders in jail and prison. I think there could be an easier solution.

Willi Guest

There is, put him on a chain gang and make him grow his own food.

Chain gangs offered a solution to the problem since they generated revenue
    for the state and relieved the government of prison expenditures.
    They also eased the burden on the taxpayer

http://scotthoustonphoto.com/VIDEO/1/

Last edited by Willi; November-29-14 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Damn, I feel like Im the only guy who feels a little bad for the guy. The American prison system is overcrowded and underfunded. No doubt the privatized prison corporations are making bank but prison today is a sentence verging on the line of torture. As see it a young man who obviously was not raised right but was raised in the proper circles got his hand caught in a big ass cookie jar. How is keeping him in prison for 25 years gong to improve things? His indigence is what bothers me most but I would think maybe a shorter sentence would be whats proper if it could somehow be understood that he takes responsibility for his thieving. Prison is supposed to be a correctional facility not a retribution facility.

Prison I believe has become obsolete when it comes to non violent offenders. Those of you who think otherwise are just old and in the way.
    So white collar & non-violent offenders should just walk? Keeping him in prison keeps him out of any future governmental operations that he could screw over like he did the city. His actions were more than just something that requires a slap on the wrist. Like HT and others have said, his actions helped contribute heavily to Detroit going bankrupt. That's a whole more serious than having " a hand in a cookie jar".

In a U.S. Court of Law everyone victim who is found guilty of any crime can file an appeal. Yall's Boy Kilpatrick has got his wish. Let's hope the Court of Appeals rule no case for him.

i just hope it doesn't become a debacle. Reportedly, each defendant gets 20 minutes to present their case, while the prosecution gets 40 minutes.

But Django, you are making a mess of what public office represents. I don't feel a bit sorry for the guy. He had enough perks serving as mayor without having to sponge and spoliate the city.

And as far as his indigence is concerned; I'm fine with it, besides; he doesn't need much money where he is at. There are plenty of Detroiters who have kept clean for years taking home small pay, and their difficulties are what saddens me. Let Kwame stew. Only problem is, that conflict of interest thing with his counsel sounds like he could get some traction on this...

I don't feel sorry for a man who stole from a nearly-bankruptcy city for his personal benefit. And this wasn't a close case. He was guilty as sin.

Your last point has merit. Prison probably isn't the best punishment. But it does underline societies interest in honorable public service. Stealing from your corporation is wrong. But stealing from taxpayers is a far greater wrong.

Thus, we need strong punishment for those who break the public trust. Otherwise, government will become nothing but vultures feasting on tax revenues paying themselves pensions of 90% of their wages after 25 years of service.

Im sorry but I just do not feel prison is going to help the situation that KK put himself in or help us. You all may feel better that your basically taking his life but why not take away his power, make him work off his debt to society, something has to be better than putting someone in a cage so you can feel better. I believe non violent crimes can be punished in a different way.

I stand firmly for sentencing and prison reform.

Goodness can this just go away, already? I could see some arguing the number of years Kilpatrick received, but to re-cogitate this to the level of actually questioning his bold-faced corruption, violation of the public trust and criminal enterprise? Really?

What does this teach his sons?
    I feel most sad for them.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 01:54 PM.

Umm, the unions won't be allowing any full-out free labor like that! Just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    There is, put him on a chain gang and make him grow his own food.

Chain gangs offered a solution to the problem since they generated revenue
    for the state and relieved the government of prison expenditures.
    They also eased the burden on the taxpayer

http://scotthoustonphoto.com/VIDEO/1/

Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 03:08 PM.

Good call. An honest wage for honest rockbreaking.... with bennies and a pension, of course.

Im sorry but I just do not feel prison is going to help the situation that KK put himself in or help us. You all may feel better that your basically taking his life but why not take away his power, make him work off his debt to society, something has to be better than putting someone in a cage so you can feel better. I believe non violent crimes can be punished in a different way.

In principle I have some agreement with your position. However, I feel his particular punishment is fair. He did more than just break the law in numerous charges of which he was found guilty. He broke faith in public office. Unfortunately there is no offense for that. I think there should be a special offense for breaking oath of office that should be akin to the offense of treason. It erodes trust in government and encourages 'if he can why can't I' behavior and worse and hurts everybody in the jurisdiction.

Yes, agreed. Especially re. the corruption encouragement factor in the broader context ala 'if they can, why can't we' justification! Which IMO was the ideological base for why some were initially willing to look the other way.

Even when they weren't a direct recipient of the favors and graft!

...I think there should be a special offense for breaking oath of office that should be akin to the offense of treason. It erodes trust in government and encourages 'if he can why can't I' behavior and worse and hurts everybody in the jurisdiction.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 08:41 PM.

I should probably correct myself. The circus will be in Cincinnati but could come to town IF he wins his appeal and doesn't get a change of venue. Lawyers correct me if that is wrong.
    There will be no circus. Appeals of criminal convictions are routinely filed and almost never [[0.01%) granted. The defendant won't appear before the appeals court; they may not even have oral arguments [[they can be requested if the court wishes, but are not mandatory).

Tell me more about your thoughts. I don't understand what you're saying.

Certainly prison isn't best -- but isn't it better than nothing? And if not prison, then what?

What would be the right 'working off of his debt'? The court has assessed significant monetary fines to him -- but frankly its a fraction of the damage he did to our City. The true cost to Detroit is quite arguably much greater than his ability to repay.

Your thoughts on how he might repay? And how it would help future city leaders from becoming felons?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast