Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Somerset collection commercial

Watching the parade right now on TV and there is a Somerset commercial airing with a beautiful interior... Is this local? Anyone know where this was shot? Parts look familiar but I can't place it.

Perhaps FNB Building? I haven't been there in a while, perhaps their new space is ready.

By beautiful interior, you mean a store interior? Or like a house or something?

No, it's probably a public space, maybe a hotel interior? No furniture visible. It's not the Book Cadillac. Maybe some place in book tower?
    Last edited by kklemmer; November-27-14 at 10:46 AM.

I'm more inclined to think it's not a local building. Based on the other film in this ad campaign, it's likely somewhere pretty well-known for luxury estates.

http://panzanoandpartners.com/somers...omerset-films/
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-27-14 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    No, it's probably a public space, maybe a hotel interior? No furniture visible. It's not the Book Cadillac. Maybe some place in book tower?
    I think it's a house. Not sure of the location but here is the full video: https://www.thesomersetcollection.com/film/

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I'm more inclined to think it's not a local building. Based on the other film in this ad campaign, it's likely somewhere pretty well-known for luxury estates.

http://panzanoandpartners.com/somers...omerset-films/
    Yes. The company that made the ad is headquartered in New Jersey, and state that their business is "enhanc[[ing) the business of high quality developers of unique destinations, through intense branding of the experiences they provide ... by developing emotion-evoking advertising that promotes the benefits rather than the features". So, my guess is that the location of the ad is supposed to simply evoke a feeling of luxury and is somewhere out of this area but more local to the agency. Perhaps one of the giant old mansions in the Hudson Valley or on the north coast of Long Island.

Now, how a giant, ugly, overpriced, mall in the blandest of bland midwestern suburbs is in any way a "unique destination", or will have the possibility of making you feel like you're diaphanously twirling around in a sumptuous 19th century mansion, is another question entirely. But such is the world of marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Now, how a giant, ugly, overpriced, mall in the blandest of bland midwestern suburbs is in any way a "unique destination", or will have the possibility of making you feel like you're diaphanously twirling around in a sumptuous 19th century mansion, is another question entirely. But such is the world of marketing.
    It was worth a shot.

Yes. The company that made the ad is headquartered in New Jersey, and state that their business is "enhanc[[ing) the business of high quality developers of unique destinations, through intense branding of the experiences they provide ... by developing emotion-evoking advertising that promotes the benefits rather than the features". So, my guess is that the location of the ad is supposed to simply evoke a feeling of luxury and is somewhere out of this area but more local to the agency. Perhaps one of the giant old mansions in the Hudson Valley or on the north coast of Long Island.

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state, but the interesting part is that their marketing strategy does make it seem like it's the 5th Avenue of Detroit or something.

This ad is from 2011 and if you didn't know any better, you would get the sense that the mall was located downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTkYKzhNMs

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state, but the interesting part is that their marketing strategy does make it seem like it's the 5th Avenue of Detroit or something.
    That's exactly what it is.

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago. While the other malls slowly die, Somerset has full occupancy and a wait-list for retail spaces. It's a huge cash cow for Forbes.

There are maybe a dozen retail hubs in the U.S. that are comparable or better than Somerset.

To be fair, Somerset does draw in shoppers from out-of-state,
    That is a technicality. Somerset might attract shoppers from Windsor and Toledo but that's about it. I doubt it attracts anyone who has to travel more than two hours. They could just go to Chicago or Toronto and have a far better shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That is a technicality. Somerset might attract shoppers from Windsor and Toledo but that's about it. I doubt it attracts anyone who has to travel more than two hours. They could just go to Chicago or Toronto and have a far better shopping experience.
    I think it's far less likely that someone from Toledo would shop at Somerset than someone from Toronto. Somerset has flagship stores for some of those luxury name brands that aren't anywhere else in the Midwest other than Chicago. Not everyone who buys those luxury brands may necessarily enjoy the locations in Chicago or Toronto. Toronto especially has higher taxes than here in the states and shoppers can get better deals.

Toronto especially has higher taxes than here in the states and shoppers can get better deals.
    I guess this explains why I always see at least one Ontario plate every time I shop somewhere with at least a decent-sized parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I guess this explains why I always see at least one Ontario plate every time I shop somewhere with at least a decent-sized parking lot.
    Yea, the sales tax in Ontario is something like 15%. Plus the currency exchange rate for the Canadian Dollar is currently 87 cents. That is 1 Canadian Dollar is equal to 87 cents of American money. A $60 dollar product in Canada only costs $57 dollars in the US [[not including taxes of course). I worked at Somerset for a while and met a good number of people willing to make the weekend trips from Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's exactly what it is.

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago. While the other malls slowly die, Somerset has full occupancy and a wait-list for retail spaces. It's a huge cash cow for Forbes.

There are maybe a dozen retail hubs in the U.S. that are comparable or better than Somerset.
    Well, except for every real city in the U.S., Canada, and the rest of the developed world [[other than Detroit) that doesn't have their "dominant retail center" in a mall in the middle of a former cornfield surrounded by endless hideous parking lots and bland office park tundra land. And, hey, maybe we can go to Applebee's once were done shopping!

Well, except for every real city in the U.S., Canada, and the rest of the developed world [[other than Detroit) that doesn't have their "dominant retail center" in a mall in the middle of a former cornfield surrounded by endless hideous parking lots and bland office park tundra land. And, hey, maybe we can go to Applebee's once were done shopping!
    What about Mall of America?

I think it's far less likely that someone from Toledo would shop at Somerset than someone from Toronto. Somerset has flagship stores for some of those luxury name brands that aren't anywhere else in the Midwest other than Chicago. Not everyone who buys those luxury brands may necessarily enjoy the locations in Chicago or Toronto. Toronto especially has higher taxes than here in the states and shoppers can get better deals.
    I think you're delusional if you believe that any meaningful amount of people are traveling to Somerset from Toronto for a shopping trip.

Somerset is, without question, the dominant retail center in Michigan, and probably the dominant retail center between NYC and Chicago.
    Holy caveat, Batman!

I think you're delusional if you believe that any meaningful amount of people are traveling to Somerset from Toronto for a shopping trip.
    Then you've never worked at a Somerset Collection store. While Toronto is closer to Buffalo, we have the better stores/malls. I would say the most of our Canadian customers come from Windsor, Sarnia, and London but Canadians from the GTA are definitely well represented. I would gather though if you have the money to live in Toronto you don't need to make weekend shopping trips to the States, maybe NYC

Also King of Prussia Mall outside Philly is a dominant retail center. Market St. East and Chestnut St. are nice and active, but not KOP is where it's at.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; November-30-14 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Then you've never worked at a Somerset Collection store. While Toronto is closer to Buffalo, we have the better stores/malls. I would say the most of our Canadian customers come from Windsor, Sarnia, and London but Canadians from the GTA are definitely well represented. I would gather though if you have the money to live in Toronto you don't need to make weekend shopping trips to the States, maybe NYC

Also King of Prussia Mall outside Philly is a dominant retail center. Market St. East and Chestnut St. are nice and active, but not KOP is where it's at.
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good old suburb bashing. Detroitists like iheartthed love to bash Somerset and anything else that is not in the city of Detroit. They think the world revolves around Detroit. It does not and has not for a long time.

There is a whole civilized and prosperous world outside of the city of Detroit. They just refuse to understand the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good old suburb bashing. Detroitists like iheartthed love to bash Somerset and anything else that is not in the city of Detroit. They think the world revolves around Detroit. It does not and has not for a long time.

There is a whole civilized and prosperous world outside of the city of Detroit. They just refuse to understand the truth.
    Yeah, sure. No where in Michigan does there exist destination shopping. Neither Detroit or Troy. That anyone would insist that Troy is a long distance shopping destination is flat out absurd, and only makes you sound like an insular hick.

Yeah, sure. No where in Michigan does there exist destination shopping. Neither Detroit or Troy. That anyone would insist that Troy is a long distance shopping destination is flat out absurd, and only makes you sound like an insular hick.
    I challenge you to point out anywhere that I stated that Somerset is a long distance shopping destination. You cannot do it because I have never made such a claim.

Who really gives a damn if there is so-called "destination shopping" in Detroit or anywhere else for that matter? Feh!

Somerset actually is a long distance shopping destination, which huge visitor numbers from Canada, Ohio, and other parts of Michigan. They advertise in markets well outside of Metro Detroit.

Why knowledge of retail demographic trends makes someone an "insular hick" is beyond my capabilities, but I always learn new things on DYes.

Somerset actually is a long distance shopping destination, which huge visitor numbers from Canada, Ohio, and other parts of Michigan. They advertise in markets well outside of Metro Detroit.

Why knowledge of retail demographic trends makes someone an "insular hick" is beyond my capabilities, but I always learn new things on DYes.
    Toledo and Windsor are not long distance commutes.

I'm all for Detroit, obviously, but Somerset and Great Lakes Crossing are two of the most important retail centers we have and are definitely regional draws from outstate, Ohio, and SW Ontario. While we may not be an international destination, they are a destination. If driving over an hour to go shopping isn't a long distance commute, I don't know what is.

Why do you think that Holiday Inn was built next to Great Lakes?

Yes. I live four hours away and prefer Somerset over the suburban Chicago malls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast