Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Buildling near the corner of Picquette and Russell?

I was photographing the Fisher 21 Plant and spotted another building in the distance [[seen here) - I guess it's near the corner of Picquette and Russell. Does anyone know anything about the building - its name or history? I think it might be a storage facility nowadays. Comments appreciated.

Name:  IMG_0416.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  37.9 KB

That building was built as part of the main plant of the American Blower Company. American Blower, in fact, once had very large facilities on both sides of Russell there, joined by a bridge across that street. After American Blower moved on the building was occupied by the Square D Co.

Later on it was used as an intake, storage, and shipping facility by the Volunteers of America. Many many years ago this week, in another lifetime, I spent a long, dreary, and cold Thanksgiving weekend in that building serving a community service sentence, which entailed folding thousands of pieces of clothing.

http://americanblowercorp.com/History.html

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...97/101212.html
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-26-14 at 01:55 AM.

Always fascinated by your historical knowledge. Thank you for sharing.

A friend of mine owns that building, stores "stuff" and vehicles for people, and perhaps a Government agency or two.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I was photographing the Fisher 21 Plant and spotted another building in the distance [[seen here) - I guess it's near the corner of Picquette and Russell. Does anyone know anything about the building - its name or history? I think it might be a storage facility nowadays. Comments appreciated.

Name:  IMG_0416.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  37.9 KB
    That shot looks like my playground growing up in the D. Brings back nostalgic memories.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That building was built as part of the main plant of the American Blower Company. American Blower, in fact, once had very large facilities on both sides of Russell there, joined by a bridge across that street. After American Blower moved on the building was occupied by the Square D Co.

Later on it was used as an intake, storage, and shipping facility by the Volunteers of America. Many many years ago this week, in another lifetime, I spent a long, dreary, and cold Thanksgiving weekend in that building serving a community service sentence, which entailed folding thousands of pieces of clothing.

http://americanblowercorp.com/History.html

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...97/101212.html
    My dad was the head of the DPD branch of the Goodfellows back in the late 60's/early 70's and he would go and be Santa Claus in that building for the Volunteers during this season. The Ruth Alden ladies would pack dresses for the little girls getting Goodfellow boxes and the Goodfellow wives would have their annual doll dressing competition there. I have a lot of good memories of that building and one great picture inside of it:
    Name:  santa dad.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  34.0 KB