Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Why not Detroit? [Ferguson Aftermath Demonstrations]

nyt: "Demonstrations also played out across the country, including in Atlanta; Los Angeles; New York; Oakland, Calif.; and Philadelphia."
    No reports in the paper of demonstrations in Detroit. The freep reported 15 people at the Levin courthouse, then had to go to Ann Arbor to find a gathering of 40 students.

Why is Detroit not front & center on this?

What can Detroit do to prevent a future incident like this?

Is DPD any longer viewed as an occupying force by the residents, as it was in '67? If not, what did Detroit do to bring police and residents together and onto the same side.

Or is the next Malice Green just around the corner wherein protesters see prosecution of individual police officers as the resolution for feelings of social injustice?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    No reports in the paper of demonstrations in Detroit. The freep reported 15 people at the Levin courthouse, then had to go to Ann Arbor to find a gathering of 40 students.

Why is Detroit not front & center on this?

What can Detroit do to prevent a future incident like this?

Is DPD any longer viewed as an occupying force by the residents, as it was in '67? If not, what did Detroit do to bring police and residents together and onto the same side.

Or is the next Malice Green just around the corner wherein protesters see prosecution of individual police officers as the resolution for feelings of social injustice?
    Can you provide a link to the NYT article you quoted?

Context is needed before I can respond...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/us...-violence.html -- quote at about 15th paragraph.

Actually, there's supposed to be another one at 4 PM at Wayne State.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Thank you.

I guess I don't get your questions...

Are you asking why Detroiters weren't rioting like the folks in Ferguson, MO? And also, are you asking what can Detroiters do to prevent the shooting of a civilian by a police officer?

What do you specifically want to happen in Detroit? I don't get it. Why would Detroit be "front and center"?

Some people, unhappy with the decision, are protesting. Others aren't.

Willi Guest

It's over, simmer down now.
    Stay home, do nothing.
    Carry on your normal holiday routine

DetroitBoy Guest

Dude, there is nothing left to burn or destroy in Detroit. People here have their own problems to worry about these days in Detroit like just plain survival. It isn't as if there has a been a racial polarized police force in Detroit oppressing people for years. There has been little to no police enforcement in years. People are happy when ANYONE shows up!

http://youtu.be/n1KmTAY67zA
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; November-25-14 at 03:11 PM.

Too cold and windy

This is mainly a Ferguson, MO. incident not a Detroit incident. Detroiters and suburbanites have learned their lessons from the 1967 riot. Both Detroiters and Suburbanites are not planning some civil race war over a 18 year old black male being shot and killed from a white police officer and got away from it.

The Malice Green incident in W. Warren Ave. and 23rd St. in 1992. cause some racial tensions, but no big looting.

The Steve Utash incident on Detroit gas station on Morang and Balfour Streets of 2014 cause some racial tensions, but there was no looting.

When the Rodney King riots of 1992 in Los Angeles cause more racial tensions. But Detroiters stay out of it. We Detroiters know more about racism for we have seen it. But we have no plans to cause civil disobedience. Detroit already have urban scares from the 1967 riot and our city of slowly healing from its racial wounds.

Detroiters and suburbanites, its best to stay out of the Michael Brown Civil Race War. They have their battles and this city is not joining the flight.

African Americans today are still not afraid of white people. Most white people are scared of blacks than radical Islamic terrorists. And they tried to used some language of reverse segregation to keep black folks pacified. It's not going to work! Whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, red, green and blue people have to get along and make the best of it. A chance for a racial explosion is eminent if this so called free country don't bring order.

Black folks! we still have our civil rights. Let's make a use of it and live like free people.

White folks! get used to black people. We live everywhere, even next door to you. So deal with it.
    Last edited by Danny; November-25-14 at 03:33 PM.

Well, since the courthouse protest has already taken place, let's hope that the protest at Wayne State doesn't get raided and force us to watch these scenes happening right in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What do you specifically want to happen in Detroit? I don't get it. Why would Detroit be "front and center"?

Some people on here [[and on this thread) seem to want something to happen here. Not sure why. Inciting for months on end, and in print, seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Too cold and windy
    Too true, but if it makes someone happy, I do know of people who went to MO to protest,

There is no logic behind a protest.

Someone who is protesting is saying - courts and evidence don't matter. If a mass mob thinks you're guilty - you should die. Protesters, in effect, are saying they believe in lynching over a trial. Popular opinion matters more that facts or reason.

Otherwise, you would say - an event happened. The full evidence was laid out in a court of law - both on the prosecution and the defense side. Based on a preponderance of all the evidence [[which no one outside that court knows) - a mutual decision was made by 12 civilian peers. That decision stands. I may not agree with the decision but if I don't respect the process, anarchy ensues.

Rationale people support a process. Thugs support anarchy.

Mob of people on I 75 at Woodward blocking traffic as I write this. Unbelievable that these people actually got on the freeway and are blocking traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Mob of people on I 75 at Woodward blocking traffic as I write this. Unbelievable that these people actually got on the freeway and are blocking traffic.
    Wow, that's productive.

I was stuck on northbound Southfield at Ford Road this afternoon for a long time. It was an accident blocking traffic way up the road near Grand River.

Danny, you wrote a nice post but lost me on the last two paragraphs. Why would I be afraid of black people, I live in a mostly black community and our neighborhood is just fine. I doubt I fear black folk. Kinda of sounds like reverse racism, What--- watch your back whitey? Just wrong .

Perhaps people in Detroit aren't protesting much because they don't care that a person committed a strong-arm robbery, then walked down the middle of a street like a thug, and then got into a physical altercation with the police and ended up dead.

Death is a heavy penalty, but people that go around stealing and then walk the streets like thugs aren't good people. Why should Wilson have to die instead of Brown?

I believe the police officer's account, that is supported by some of the witnesses, that the shooting was an appropriate response.

I wish the Brown family the best, and I also wish the Wilson family the best.

For the rest of us: Don't want to be shot dead? Don't steal, participate in thuggery, and tussle with the police.
    Last edited by Scottathew; November-25-14 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

B'ham. I would have expected Detroit to be 'front and center' because from what I hear on this forum, racism is alive and well -- and thus requires action to remedy.

But clearly I don't understand the protesters. Its often said that we need a dialog on race. I want to hear why Detroit is not the center of protests wanting to convict Mr. Wilson. That's how we learn. Ask. Listen.

Our President has said...The fact is, in too many parts of this country, a deep distrust exists between law enforcement and communities of color. Some of this is the result of the legacy of racial discrimination in this country. And this is tragic, because nobody needs good policing more than poor communities with higher crime rates. Is this really true? Does most of the community feel this way? Or is this an impression imposed by activists onto this community? I wonder if you could ask black Ferguson residents by secret ballot what they thought, if the majority wouldn't say that Mr. Brown brought this on himself. Do most black Detroiters distrust law enforcement? Is our 'community of color' of one mind on this?
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; November-25-14 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added reference to Presidential statement

Actually, DPD has a pretty good connection with the community. At least as evidenced by Charlie LeDuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MappUyWPY5M

I've noticed this that even compared to other big cities, the residents of Detroit have a pretty well-off relationship with the police force. Possibly due to the fact that the city almost came to barely having a police force. So perhaps tasting a sense of anarchy it what makes Detroiters almost need a good relationship with the police, because the other option is pretty much irrational in every way. And the police themselves are very aware of this because essentially they are under-manned and outgunned in most cases.

One case I can think of is that case were the police raided that home and killed that little girl. People were certainly upset, but it hasn't exactly generated a city-wide protest or anything. And that's when the police screwed-up, raided the wrong house, and killed and innocent person. The office who fired the shot got involuntary manslaughter [[prior to the mistrial declaration), but again, it doesn't seem like a city-wide issue. So, and I've wondered this from the start, why does Ferguson seem different?

Being impartial to whether or not the officer was justified in shooting, many people who are upset seem to think the officer or the police force in general actively seeks out blacks. In Detroit, that's kind of an impossibility because there's simply not enough people of other races to make that claim. Maybe regionally that argument could be made, but being an African American in the suburbs, I don't feel as though that is true. Then again, I also don't dress up with saggy pants and speak like I didn't go school. That in itself is a big internal problem within the African American community that continually perpetrates stereotypes and makes separating between the innocent and the guilty much harder. But then are those young black kids acting like thugs guilty of their circumstances or guilty of their choices?

In the end, I just don't feel as if all black communities are equal and shouldn't be treated as such. Detroit is not Ferguson or St. Louis. Although histories are similar, they are not the same. Although conditions may also be similar, there are hugely different variables. As a young black man, I don't feel as if I have anything in common with Mike Brown other than racial description and I wouldn't expect a white guy in the suburbs of Detroit to have the same thought patterns as Darrell Wilson. In my personal experience, it's just not healthy to put so many people under the same umbrella on so few similarities and it's pointless to talk about racism if everyone already assumes that everyone of everyone other race fits a narrow pre-determined description. People have to actually remove themselves from race before talking about racism, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Actually, DPD has a pretty good connection with the community. At least as evidenced by Charlie LeDuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MappUyWPY5M

I've noticed this that even compared to other big cities, the residents of Detroit have a pretty well-off relationship with the police force. Possibly due to the fact that the city almost came to barely having a police force. So perhaps tasting a sense of anarchy it what makes Detroiters almost need a good relationship with the police, because the other option is pretty much irrational in every way. And the police themselves are very aware of this because essentially they are under-manned and outgunned in most cases.
    There's also the fact that Detroit essentially has a mostly black police force serving a mostly black city...

This wasn't hardly the case when the 1967 riots happened.

yes racism is alive and well on this forum, Non detroit people or detroit ex pats, Congratulate your selves You escaped. So proud you left. I mean that... you left like little weasels
    Detroit is dealing quite well with race sex ordination .religious issues. I exalt in how the city has emerged as a true melting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Congratulate your selves You escaped. So proud you left. I mean that... you left like little weasels
    I don't think that way of those folks. Some people want better for their family. They want a safer neighborhood, better schools, a community where snitches don't end up dead, etc...

I have never lived in Detroit, but similarly I lived in Warren. While the situation there was mostly acceptable, I wanted better and could provide better.

Detroit needs to become a viable choice for people who have one. Not a place for people with no resources to be stuck in.

Things seem to be improving in the neighborhoods from what I've seen, and I hope things will improve even more. Hopefully one day people with means will be choosing between Detroit and the 'burbs for where to live, with both being desirable options.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I don't think that way of those folks. Some people want better for their family. They want a safer neighborhood, better schools, a community where snitches don't end up dead, etc...

I have never lived in Detroit, but similarly I lived in Warren. While the situation there was mostly acceptable, I wanted better and could provide better.

Detroit needs to become a viable choice for people who have one. Not a place for people with no resources to be stuck in.

Things seem to be improving in the neighborhoods from what I've seen, and I hope things will improve even more. Hopefully one day people with means will be choosing between Detroit and the 'burbs for where to live, with both being desirable options.
    Things are no longer 2008-2012 dire in Detroit, but it's still a place where I wouldn't want my elderly parents living or my children growing up.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast