Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default East English Village Information

Good evening. Since I believe some of the smarter, more intelligent Detroiters linger on here and always have good advice, I figure I would ask. I am currently living in Grosse Pointe Park, want to stay, but finding a house in my price range is kinda tough. Everyday I drive past East English Village [[EEV) and I am quite curious. I have asked around and I get mixed signals, some people love, some people say stay away. What do you guys think? Is EEV a good spot? If so where should I look? I have been seeing a lot of property in the village on the auction sites which makes me think that it could be a desirable neighborhood soon. Any help is appreciated.

There have been a number of discussions here on East English Village. The link below might be helpful if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/East-English-Village-Detroit-MI.html

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Good evening. Since I believe some of the smarter, more intelligent Detroiters linger on here and always have good advice, I figure I would ask. I am currently living in Grosse Pointe Park, want to stay, but finding a house in my price range is kinda tough. Everyday I drive past East English Village [[EEV) and I am quite curious. I have asked around and I get mixed signals, some people love, some people say stay away. What do you guys think? Is EEV a good spot? If so where should I look? I have been seeing a lot of property in the village on the auction sites which makes me think that it could be a desirable neighborhood soon. Any help is appreciated.
    Looks nice enough but I couldn't find a single active listing. Adjacent to the neighborhood prices are in the teens.

Lived there on Bishop since 2000. Paid $145k for a Cox & Baker with pewabic tile, now worth maybe $85k. Going steadily downhill. Finally got rid of squatters and a dope house after many tense months and a break-in. That being said, You can get a good deal on a house if you are handy. Depends on what you're looking for - Got any kids?

Grew up in EEV. Returned after many decades to care for my Mom whose declining health needed personal attention for 7 years and liked it just fine. Nice neighbors. Bill Barlage is the association president and personally I think he was very pivital to maintaining the area. They have a website so check it out. I have family that still live/own in EEV. Two separate households and both like it just fine. lovely homes.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Grew up in EEV. Returned after many decades to care for my Mom whose declining health needed personal attention for 7 years and liked it just fine. Nice neighbors. Bill Barlage is the association president and personally I think he was very pivital to maintaining the area. They have a website so check it out. I have family that still live/own in EEV. Two separate households and both like it just fine. lovely homes.
    Do you have any recommendations as to what streets I should pursue or possibly avoid?

Do you have any recommendations as to what streets I should pursue or possibly avoid?
    At the risk of offending current EEV residents I would stick with EEV south of Warren, closer to Mack the better. If you worry about renters so would avoid Grayton.

If you have kids there is a choice of private schools in the pointes. The biggest drawback to Detroit is car insurance and schools. I love my city but am a realist.. Any of the communities on the Eastside that call themselves Villages are a good bet for home ownership.

EEV has a great garden club. Several city officials still live there which doesn't hurt either.

Sorry for split posts. EEV has a 48224 zip so insurance rates are not bad. They also do the occasional tours of available homes usually ends up at Cadieux Cafe. Really very like GPP, the wine and beer flows.

I would try Kensington, it has some very nice houses. Sumas is spot on, the closer to Mack the better.