Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default High Wind Warning

Hang on to your hats, high wind warning until tonight.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...onday/29896966

It's already getting loud in my area.

Branches from my beloved trees are hitting my roof, makes me feel like my friends have turned on me. So far, no big ones, crossing my fingers.

Let Nature blow our city out!

Already saw a branch fall in Southgate.

Those numbers are far too normal here in NM. Yesterday, we had sustained winds of 25-30 mph, with gusts to 50 mph, all afternoon. It's slightly less today. We know we'll have a 1-3 days every year with sustained winds of 40-45 mph and gusts up to 60-65 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Hang on to your hats, high wind warning until tonight.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...onday/29896966

It's already getting loud in my area.
    Well that blows.

I saw some guy holding onto a pole today on Fort St.

People driving those toy cars, be fore warned. High wind reeks havoc on them.

Name:  IMG_9173.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  23.9 KBOur sign that has been stationary for 42 years just decided to spin.We don't know what's holding it up.We moved the cars out from under it,hope it doesn't launch!

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Name:  IMG_9173.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  23.9 KBOur sign that has been stationary for 42 years just decided to spin.We don't know what's holding it up.We moved the cars out from under it,hope it doesn't launch!
    Gives a whole new meaning to "take it for a spin"....

I was in the New Center area earlier this afternoon. The wind was blowing so hard I thought I was going to get lifted in the air & blow away like Aunt Marge in Harry Potter 3.

Not a good day to be on Lake Huron.

I chased some attack shopping carts today and nearly launched myself, luckily I caught the cart in the nick of time.

CBC says the Detroit River is flowing in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I saw some guy holding onto a pole today on Fort St.
    I saw that. The Pole's name was Casimer Kozlowski.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    People driving those toy cars, be fore warned. High wind reeks havoc on them.
    High winds wreak havoc on small cars.

And vans with raised roofs, as I found out today. The faster you go to get home, the worse it is.

Weather buoy 45008, east of Oscoda: Waves over 13 feet, wind gusts at 51 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to "take it for a spin"....
    Honk you are crackn me up!

I can already hear people whining about DTE.

"Why doesn't DTE have enough resources to simultaneously repair hundreds of thousands of outages? Oh, that costs money and it would raise my bill? Well, I'm still mad because I don't have power. WHAAAA! WHAAA!"

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I can already hear people whining about DTE.

"Why doesn't DTE have enough resources to simultaneously repair hundreds of thousands of outages? Oh, that costs money and it would raise my bill? Well, I'm still mad because I don't have power. WHAAAA! WHAAA!"
    It’s bad enough that nothing is ever done about my pet peeve. Like clockwork, when there is a moderate to severe storm, thousands of people in Michigan lose electricity for an extended period of time.

Mind you, they never lose telephone service, even if they still have a land line, and their natural gas is supplied. [[Although without electricity, the gas isn’t much help in keeping the furnace running.)

Those^ words are not WHAAAA! WHAAA! from DetroitYES. They are those of Keith Crain in his editorial of this week's Crain's Detroit Business.

He makes a good point. This did not use to happen to this extent. It now seems that whenever nature sneezes a hundred thousand households lose power.

Unfortunately Crain goes on to turn this into an argument for coal fired plants that has nothing to do with the failure of the delivery infrastructure.

Our electrical infrastructure needs serious updating and maintenance. Trees are not trimmed as regularly as they were 20 years ago when we bought in this neighborhood of mature trees. There was a five year schedule back then. Now the trees are bigger and trimming is done less often. When we had a lengthy summer storm outage four years ago we had a man who came in from another state working on our pole. He said it was missing a crucial update and where he was from he never sees them like this any more.

I lost a lot of leaves off my yard that I didn't get to yet. They just went on down the block. I like big wind.

I have posted on this forum several times that I lost power over 500 times. Over 20 years.

DTE- This is on you.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-25-14 at 07:01 AM.

It's Michigan folks! its fall. There will be high winds once this tilted wobbly planet reach its solstice. Then the wacky weather begins. It's God cleaning our mess we make with his mighty hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast