Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Green Acres Information

Good morning, everyone. Can anyone tell me about personal experiences living in the Green Acres neighborhood? I met a guy over the weekend with a 6 year old kid who absolutely loves it. Some of the houses look beautiful and I like the proximity to Ferndale/Royal Oak. Thanks to all.

Great neighborhood, just north of Palmer Woods. Each home is distinctively built, in it's own right. Smaller less pricier version of the University District. Have very good security patrol, spotty crime hear or there, for the most part one of the safest areas in Detroit. A friend's parents been there for over 45 years. When a house hits the market, it generally sells quickly.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-24-14 at 03:27 PM.

I've heard that Green Acres is the place to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

I totally agree. Land spreading out so far and wide. I love Detroit, but give me that countryside.

Bump, set, SPIKE !

New York is where I'd rather stay.

I totally asked for that. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I totally asked for that. D'oh!

Totally...

Walking thru that area earlier this summer, homes seem to be well kept, and the neighborhood seems quiet. Close to lots of shopping and the amenities of towns to the north. I've never lived there so I can't speak for other issues.

I know folks in that neighborhood and as someone mentioned above the area is quiet and has an active [[nearly 100 member) radio patrol that meets up at the 12th precinct. Green Acres have a yearly picnic and also a Holiday event each year. Folks in that area really pay dues. Houses for sale in that area rarely stay on the market long. I will contact the Radio/Security patrol President Mr. Ward to get a website link to post here.

Yes, great area and bit less expensive than Sherwood Forest or Palmer Woods. Better had a rake and leaf blower. Lots of trees in GA......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I totally agree. Land spreading out so far and wide. I love Detroit, but give me that countryside.

After reading the G.A. chapter in Aaron Foley's 2017 book "The Detroit Neighborhood Guidebook", G.A. is painted as the model Detroit neighborhood for still remaining in-tact before and after post-'67 riots white flight, 80's crack epidemic, and crime rate increase that lasted until the early 90's.

Does anyone have any additional gems or historical information on G.A.? I wonder was it named Green Acres because of its close proximity to the two cemeteries or because of the classic TV show?
    Last edited by Sehv313; January-07-20 at 06:40 PM.

The neighborhood long predates the TV show, with houses dating back into the 1920s. I think the name Green Acres was chosen by the developers, probably because it just sounded like an attractive and bucolic place to live on what was then the fringes of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Does anyone have any additional gems or historical information on G.A.? I wonder was it named Green Acres because of its close proximity to the two cemeteries or because of the classic TV show?
    They were originally going to call it Petticoat Junction, but the name was already taken.

Great neighborhood. For sale signs are few, and far between. In law's have lived there for 53 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Great neighborhood. For sale signs are few, and far between. In law's have lived there for 53 years.
    I purchased a home in G.A. last year [[relocated from the East side), and I like it a lot so far! Very diverse neighborhood, almost half of my neighbors are suburban transplants or involved in Law or the Medical field. And I come across animals that I've never seen anywhere near Detroit city limits [[wild turkeys, coyotes, frogs, etc.) I would love to know more information if possible but online I didn't find much.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    They were originally going to call it Petticoat Junction, but the name was already taken.
    I was born in the 90's, so I didn't understand the joke until I YouTube'd it.

I was born in the 90's, so I didn't understand the joke until I YouTube'd it.
    You've just made me feel 10 years older than I already am. Sigh.

Guess I'll have to reconsider all future pop-cultural references to Wagon Train, Don Mossi, or Brewster the Goebel Rooster.....

You've just made me feel 10 years older than I already am. Sigh.

Guess I'll have to reconsider all future pop-cultural references to Wagon Train, Don Mossi, or Brewster the Goebel Rooster.....
    Yeah, The only brewsters i'm familiar with is Punky and the projects on Mack

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

It's not the late 1960 early 70s sit-com. It's a sub-division of beautiful white collar independent Detroit business families homes mostly brick. And they put a wall behind a dirt poor old black settlement behind Mendota St.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's not the late 1960 early 70s sit-com. It's a sub-division of beautiful white collar independent Detroit business families homes mostly brick. And they put a wall behind a dirt poor old black settlement behind Mendota St.
    That wall you speak of, is NOT in Green Acres. I grew up in that neighborhood on Pinehurst, one street over, west of the wall. The wall is located between Wyoming and Meyers, between Mendota and Birwood streets, south of 8 Mile Rd. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/eight-mile-wall
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-13-20 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Not even close to being Green Acres, that's 8 & Meyers, Pembroke/McDowell neighborhood [[West of Garden Homes Community). Please provide factual information before commenting.
    Last edited by Sehv313; January-12-20 at 06:52 PM.

^^ Yeah Danny.....

Please provide factual information before commenting.
    I'm FW'ing this to the White House.

I'm FW'ing this to the White House.

Well played... We know facts don't reside there.