Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What should be built on the corpse of Michigan football?

The temporary AD said he thinks Hoke is doing an "excellent job under the circumstances." At least Rich Rod's record got BETTER every year, and what was largely his team went 10-2 in Hoke's first year. Maybe we should have let RR stick around

As a MSU alum I would personally recommend giving Hoke another year.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    As a MSU alum I would personally recommend giving Hoke another year.
    Nah.

Let them bring their messiah Harbaugh in.

The excuses when he's getting double bagged by MSU and the Bucks...it's almost too delicious for words.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Nah.

Let them bring their messiah Harbaugh in.

The excuses when he's getting double bagged by MSU and the Bucks...it's almost too delicious for words.
    Harbaugh knows how to win, but he's not built for the NFL - owners, presidents of player personnel, etc. etc. cramp his style.

If you MSU and OSU fans really want to be taken seriously as competition to those southern teams on the national stage, you should hope Michigan's program gets resurrected. does you no good to flog a dead horse

Wherever he ends up it's about the money. As a player he made a fraction what they make today, Stanford didn't have big $ and he's still on his first contract with the niners. He wants his payday, and somebody will give it to him...will spartys crippled brother dig really deep?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Harbaugh knows how to win, but he's not built for the NFL - owners, presidents of player personnel, etc. etc. cramp his style.

If you MSU and OSU fans really want to be taken seriously as competition to those southern teams on the national stage, you should hope Michigan's program gets resurrected. does you no good to flog a dead horse
    If all those people "cramp his style" then he probably REALLY hated his time coaching in college. Being a college head coach means meeting with the university president, the board of regents, the AD, the big shot donors, and the various chapters of alumni association nationwide. Throw in a weekly radio and/or TV show and you are constantly being forced to interact with a huge group of people pulling your time and energy away from your primary job. In addition, there is a much stronger push for you and your wife to be involved in a variety of charity work that eats up more of your time.

Then there is the added pressure of being held responsible for the academic and off-field behavior of 100+ men between the ages of 18 and 23. If something happens, college coaches are partially blamed because they are also looked at as being teachers and mentors for those young men. In the NFL, the players are grown men and coaches aren't expected to carry any responsibility for their players' off field mistakes. You didn't see John Harbaugh being blamed for running a "renegade program" over the Ray Rice stuff.

Then lastly, there is the recruiting. Thousands and thousands of hours spent reviewing film, calling, texting, travelling to games, wooing, selling, and stroking the ego of 16 and 17 year old kids. It is a grueling, time consuming, frustrating process. In the NFL, there is basically free agency and the draft. That's pretty much it. And unless you are one of the few coaches with control of personnel decisions, your input is only partially required.

Only megalomaniacs who desire total control over their operation [[see Nick Saban) prefer college to the NFL. Being a college head coach is more work for the same or often times less money.

Plus, this is a moot point. Harbaugh's wife doesn't want to leave NorCal.

As an MSU alum [[hence the username), I really do want U of M football to get back to what it once was, as rb336 stated, to have more respectable competition in the big ten.

Hell it's even more fun when the rivalry games MEAN something. Like this year for example, we had nothing to gain by playing UM. I mean if we didn't win by at least 20 it would've looked bad for us. We need them to be respectable at the very least, and I'm sure the next coach they hire will bring them somewhat towards that [[can't mess up the hire 3 times in a row right?)

having said all that i HIGHLY doubt that jim harbaugh will come back to college to coach UM. They will probably offer him a relatively good deal in terms of $$, comparable to what most NFL teams will offer. I mean let's get real UM isn't short on athletic department funds [[ahem Stephen Ross). But Harbaugh accomplished a lot in college, and moved up the pecking order, has won an NFC title, and is DYING to win a Super Bowl. I don't see him moving back to college to coach, even if it is his alma mater. If San Francisco really does want him out the door in February, then there will be 10 NFL GMs calling his phone within the hour, all begging him to coach their team. Hell I wish the Lions would look at him too [[Caldwell is the most conservative coach on the planet, but that's another topic).

I think their top choice will be the mad hatter from LSU, but he's got a pretty good gig going too. But I would think that Michigan has a much better chance of getting Les Miles than harbaugh.

Regardless of who they have on their sideline next year, really can't wait for MSU to walk into the sardine bowl and spank them, yet again

I remember U of M's football program was the best team in the 20th Century. The program won 11 national championships and lots of Rose Bowls. After the Bo and Lloyd left. The program start to go down the drain. It would be 25 years before the Wolverines football team can will the Rose Bowl in the 21st Century.

Rich Rod was a yutz! And Brady Hoke turn out to a Brady JOKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I remember U of M's football program was the best team in the 20th Century. The program won 11 national championships and lots of Rose Bowls. After the Bo and Lloyd left. The program start to go down the drain. It would be 25 years before the Wolverines football team can will the Rose Bowl in the 21st Century.

Rich Rod was a yutz! And Brady Hoke turn out to a Brady JOKE!
    In fact, they were probably the only local team who did well in the bicentennial year of 1976-the Spartans, as well as the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons, all were awful that year and so was the city of Detroit itself.