Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where to take old tires?

First off:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/de...s_231620_7.pdf

MDEQ website states that Metro Tire service will take them, called them, they don't. So in a city that has a huge waste tire dumping problem, where do you take them to dispose of them? Currently they are in the alley with a sign on them stating that they are free[[have rims attached too, still usable if you are in a desperate situation). Thanks!

Thanks Johnny five, I knew sand had to do something besides traction, its cheaper,
    I know a few years ago some cities in Ohio were experminting with beer -[[yes beer)

I've taken tires down to Silver Lining Recycling in Wyandotte. I think they charged me $1/tire to take them. They are on the list Russix posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    I've taken tires down to Silver Lining Recycling in Wyandotte. I think they charged me $1/tire to take them. They are on the list Russix posted.
    16 Miles and you have to pay to dispose of them. Why do we have a tire dumping problem in the city again? Thank you Llama for the input.

Anywhere you go there's a tire disposal fee. It's pretty much nationwide, as far as I know. Most tire shops roll it into their prices, or give you an out-the-door-total quote, rather than an itemized invoice showing a $1-$3 per tire disposal fee. But the long and the short of it is, pretty much nobody can turn a legitimate profit from worn out tires, so they cost something to get rid of. Which means, by virtue of supply and demand, there is a cottage industry in getting paid a few bucks per tire to dump them in an overgrown lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Which means, by virtue of supply and demand, there is a cottage industry in getting paid a few bucks per tire to dump them in an overgrown lot.
    There may indeed be such a cottage industry, but I know dumping them is not what Silver Lining does. Driving up to their place you are met with mountains of tire shred. I'm not sure what they do with it, perhaps pass it along to the makers of rubber mats. There were also Bell Tire semi trailers on the premises, so apparently that is where some of the tires Belle Tire changes you to take end up.

Yes it was a bit of a drive but I didn't mind too much. I hadn't been to Wyandotte in about a million years so I got an updated view of the place [[seems like a nice little community), plus I got to see the shred mountains. All in all, not a bad little adventure.

Twice in the past year I have taken scrap tires to Silver Lining. They charged two dollars
    per tire. According to what I've been able to Google, Silver Lining used to send the shreds
    to the Wyandotte Power Plant to be burned but recently has been landfilling the shreds, so
    the per-tire charge may have gone up from $1 to the present $2. I'm not sure how
    decommissioned the tire burner at the Wyandotte Power Plant is.
    A decade ago there were eight tire burning power plants in Michigan with two more as
    permit requests. One coal and tire burning power plant, Endicott Power in Litchfield, MI,
    will be decommissioned within a year. Aging, water pollution [[from the coal) concerns,
    labor costs, and the overarching national goal to reduce fossil fuel consumption
    probably all played a role in the decision to close this plant. Tires are the preferred fuel
    at this plant. However the value of the scrap steel recovered from the tires has gone
    down to the point where the steel is being stockpiled there.
    Cities with scrap tire piles love to have a recycling fee added to the purchase price of a tire.
    Industry players don't like that. [[Thanks to all of the reporters I cribbed this info from).

I personally am of the belief that if you gave a dollar for every tire someone brought in [[charge up front like bottle deposits, you could clean up most of these illegal dump sites overnight. There are a few places I can think of you could rake in a couple hundred bucks with a shopping cart in a day or two.

Hamtragedy, I think you are correct. You would still see the occasional tire here and
    there just like you do the occasional ten cent returnable bottle. You might have trouble
    with people bringing tires from other states just as happens with returnable bottles. I'd
    still sign that petition! I might pair this policy with one that gives auto insurance buyers
    a discount in the event of a recent purchase of tires, in effect subsidizing new tires.
    [[One estimate for the number of scrap tires in Detroit is a million tires though).

Honorable Detroit tire recycling organizations include SDEV which has an Annual Tire
    Sweep Challenge in Southwest Detroit; Brightmoor Alliance; and Audra Carson of De-tread LLC.

The City of Detroit has an illegal tire dump cleanup task force. Note that the City of
    Detroit dispenses $1000 blight tickets and tends to treat you as guilty until proven
    innocent in Blight Court should you receive a ticket. I am not sure if tires will be
    picked up as part of bulk trash. The Advanced Disposal webpage didn't specify what
    was to be done about tires.

After you've disposed of them, be sure to tell your children that "they're happily frolicking and rolling about a huge prairie field somewhere on a farm upstate".

Do you think this place would take them?

http://cass-community-store.myshopif...treads-sandals

I'm kinda shocked Mi doesn't have a mandatory return policy. Usually, if you get rid of old tires at a dealer or tire shop in Quebec, you leave the old tires for a 3 dollar apiece fee. Dealers are obliged to take them in, much like empties in supermarkets. In fact, if you bring in bottles of brands they don't sell, the big supermarkets refund them anyway. It pisses people off when they don't, and their aim is to keep you in the store.

For tire fees, I think the camel that broke the straw's back here is a huge tire dump fire that burned for four days south of Montreal in the 1990. 4 million times burned and it cost the govt 16 million to decontaminate. That's when the govt stepped in and regulated scrapyards more forcefully.
    Last edited by canuck; August-15-15 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scene View Post
    Do you think this place would take them?

http://cass-community-store.myshopif...treads-sandals
    That is a charming pair of sandals, thank you very much!
    I looked at my shoes after looking at that pic and wondered just how much
    recycled rubber they have in them.
    I really enjoy looking at all of the creative and useful things people have been
    able to do with used tires.
    While picking up scrap tires I did leave one in the street as it appeared to still
    be a good one. It may be that "tire scrappers" will recover it and it will be
    reused.
    I doubt there are any million-plus tire piles in Detroit but there are at least
    two 20,000-plus piles.

I called the City of Hamtramck Department of Public Works and asked what to do with old tires. They told me to put them in the trash. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I called the City of Hamtramck Department of Public Works and asked what to do with old tires. They told me to put them in the trash. No joke.
    I just put mine in the trash. They were gone, no kidding.