Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Problems with News and Free Press

I am a big fan of print newspapers, and a current subscriber to the big papers in this town. To my chagrin, when I tried to contact the News/Free Press to let them know my credit card number had changed, they put me in line to speak with an operator - that was 17 minutes ago. Are they actively trying to go out of business or what? Have other people experienced this lately? Maybe this is how Michigan.com will operate. I didn't have similar issues with the Detroit Media Partnership. You'd almost think they were being run by Andreas Apostolopoulos.

I remember my parents telling me about print newspapers! I guess it makes sense, since it's a newspaper!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I remember my parents telling me about print newspapers! I guess it makes sense, since it's a newspaper!
    So how much paper is involved in a digital newspaper? Which is the electronic version of printed newspaper.

I deal with all different suppliers etc. It seems to be the norm anymore ,it's like they really hate to be bothered during the workday.

Try calling the postal service to locate a lost package,you have to figure 3 days of phone time.
    Last edited by Richard; November-21-14 at 03:56 PM.

Every time the phone company calls me and wants to upsell me more services, I tell them that the only upgrade I want is "Priority Override". When the telemarketer asks 'what is that?", I tell him it is a box next to my phone with a button where if anyone sticks me in a mindless menu, puts me on hold, or shuffles me off to voicemail, I push the button and every single phone connected to the switchboard on the other end rings like mad at double volume. I tell him that would be worth $150 a month for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Every time the phone company calls me and wants to upsell me more services, I tell them that the only upgrade I want is "Priority Override". When the telemarketer asks 'what is that?", I tell him it is a box next to my phone with a button where if anyone sticks me in a mindless menu, puts me on hold, or shuffles me off to voicemail, I push the button and every single phone connected to the switchboard on the other end rings like mad at double volume. I tell him that would be worth $150 a month for me.

Great, Hermod. There may be something there for the future of phone app development, a bunch of apps dedicated to suck the life out of all the corporate bullseye that came up in the past thirty years to make our lives a little more...pleasant.

Also, isn't this kind of insanity always paired with someone, virtual or no to ask us if that is all they can do for us? or how important our call is to them, etc...

On my very last shopping trip to Kroger there was a "enter to win free groceries"
    kiosk right by the front entrance just past the Salvation Army bellringer freezing
    in the lobby. I stood there and listened in on the spiel which was for print
    subscriptions to the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. If you entered, which
    I decided not to, you would be contacted by the Detroit News or the Detroit Free
    Press sales staff. The man could have been an independent contractor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    On my very last shopping trip to Kroger there was a "enter to win free groceries"
    kiosk right by the front entrance just past the Salvation Army bellringer freezing
    in the lobby. I stood there and listened in on the spiel which was for print
    subscriptions to the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. If you entered, which
    I decided not to, you would be contacted by the Detroit News or the Detroit Free
    Press sales staff. The man could have been an independent contractor though.
    I believe they have a contract with the News for such things every Wednesday. The Freep has a similar deal with Meijer that also runs on Wednesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I am a big fan of print newspapers, and a current subscriber to the big papers in this town. To my chagrin, when I tried to contact the News/Free Press to let them know my credit card number had changed, they put me in line to speak with an operator - that was 17 minutes ago. Are they actively trying to go out of business or what? Have other people experienced this lately? Maybe this is how Michigan.com will operate. I didn't have similar issues with the Detroit Media Partnership. You'd almost think they were being run by Andreas Apostolopoulos.

With all due respect 1953 there just is no chance in hell that they can afford to have people on the payroll sitting around waiting for your new digits for 40 bucks a month. They just flat out don't have enough people calling for that anymore. Economics sucks when your on the wrong side of it but that is how things roll now. If there were 500 of you every day things would be different.

I would just wait until they try to charge your old card. They will get in touch with you real quick!

I bought a Freep about a year ago to have something to read while I ate breakfast on my way to visit my husband in the hospital, and the Monday edition was about 3/4 sports - totally worthless considering there were about three pages of, y'know, news, and no op-ed page.

Don K:
    We buy the paper, either one doesn't matter, you are right sports, sports. sports. Spouse hates too, even while waiting in waiting rooms. Puzzle pages are pretty much the same. With so much going on in then world, the locals are not covering as well as they used to. Which leads to a loss of reputation and readership.

Scripps was founded in Detroit. The Free Press has a lauded history. How the mighty have fallen.