Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Good Polish restaurant recommendation

I will be visiting family during the Thanksgiving holiday long weekend and was wondering if anyone can reccomend a good Polish restaurant. I haven't lived in the "D" since 1991 so my "good eats street smarts" are a little rusty. Dziekuje in advance.

I know many people have their favorite, but this is mine: http://www.polishvillagecafe.us/

Right in Hamtown.

If you want an "only in Detroit" experience, you can check out Ivanhoe Cafe. Also slightly off the beaten path is Krakus.

Otherwise, the two in Hamtramck are the easy choices.

The two already mentioned are going to be your best options. Polish Village and Ivanhoe Cafe [[Polish Yacht Club). I've never been to Krakus, but I will definitely be trying it in the future!

There is a restaurant on 13 Mile just east of Greenfield called V&M Polish Kitchen; one of the owners used to be at Two Sisters in Rochester. Nothing fancy, but the food is excellent and they have all the favorites. We go there when Hamtramck isn't possible

I can't think of any 'bad' Polish Restaurants. Certainly the Hamtramck oligopoly of Kraus [[old-style), Polish Village Cafe [[quaint), or Polonia [[white-slavery genetically modified waitresses).

While not as well known as some the other Polish restaurants in the area, Polonus in Wyandotte on Biddle [[Jefferson) has been serving us well for almost 30 years. My sister used to bring home free pierogi when she worked there in high school. Second only to my dad's pierogi.

Sabina's in Melvindale, on Oakwood, just east of Allen Road. It seems to always be busy so consider yourself warned.

Three brothers in plymouth, heard its a decent spot.

I also like V&M in Royal Oak for convenience. Food is traditional and good, not expensive, and service is friendly. This place used to be Ann Sayles Tea Room back in the day. Enter at the back, where there is parking along the alley.

I've never had a bad meal or bad time at Polonia or Polish Village, in fact they have both been excellent every time. For my money Polish Village edges out Polonia because of the bar and decor but if you are entertaining a male crowd Polonia should be considered.

It's comfort food time again in the D.

Jim's Place, on MI Ave, just East of Schaefer, in Dearborn.

My only brother supports 3 Brothers, 8825 General Drive, Plymouth, MI [[Joy Road and Haggerty area, late of Warrendale). 734 416 3393.

Also, cannot miss with Krakus on Jos. Campau, a ittle north of Hamtramck. Look for the used car lot. Polka bands on Saturday nights.

Polish Yacht Club FTW

Celinas in St Clair Shores

If you want a real nice sit down Polish dining experience, go to Wawel restaurant located in the American Polish Cultural Center in Troy.

How is that Polish restaurant on Rochester Road in Troy? Lukish or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think it's Lukich's; I ate there once. It was meh

I've only been to Three Brothers when it was in Warrendale [[its not there anymore)
    and Sabina's on Oakwood in Melvindale. Sabina's is fine. A restaurant in Berkley on
    Coolidge just north of Eleven Mile is called Ellie's Grill - I've never been there but they
    serve Polish specials ON WEDNESDAYS AND THURSDAYS ONLY according to everything
    I've read. That neighborhood used to be slightly Cornish - there used to be a pasty
    shop about where Ellie's is now and a Knights of Pythias further down the street.
    It now has the incomparable Elwin's Scones a few blocks north of Ellie's as well as
    a handful of other small but worthy shops for connoisseurs and gourmands. May I
    mention the Star Bakery maybe a half mile south of Ellie's for their wonderful bread.
    If you only have two dollars for your dinner then go to Star Bakery for a loaf of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I guess you need to differentiate a Polish restaurant from a restaurant that serves a few Polish dishes. Lukiches serves ahalf dozen or so Polish dishes but I wouldn't consider it a Polish restaurant.

If you're looking for a Polish restaurant, try the Hamtramck restaurants, Wawel in Troy, Sabina's in Melvindale, and Celina's Polish Kitchen in St Clair Shores.

Other restaurants that have a good menu of Polish dishes include the Lakeside Family Diner in Sterling Heights and Marcus restaurant in Shelby.

See this article:
    http://archive.freep.com/article/201...oit-freep-five