Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Robert Hudson Tannahill's house burns 11/16/14.

I was very surprised with all the sleuths on here that this one has not been mentioned.

Designed by Hugh T. Keyes for Robert Hudson Tannahill. 22 Lee Gate built in 1947 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

Tannahill's generous donations to the DIA were part of the collection that was in jeopardy during the bankruptcy proceedings.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

How bad was the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    How bad was the damage?

The roof on the main part of the house was destroyed.

It was on the news. I didn't post here because this is a Detroit forum. Belongs in Non Detroit section?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It was on the news. I didn't post here because this is a Detroit forum. Belongs in Non Detroit section?
    Suburbs count as Detroit for forum purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Perhaps you were being sarcastic but just in case the three main forums are:

Discuss Detroit
    Since 1999 the Internet's Largest Discussion of all topics relating to the Detroit - Windsor Family of Communities. All Detroit, all the time, all in one place.

Detroit Connections
    For relaxed discussions among DetroitYES forum members, making connections, call outs to forum members, and discussions about the forum.

Non Detroit Issues
    For general discussion of subjects NOT Detroit-related

Also available are:

DetroitYES Free* Ads*Free Ads permitted for DetroitYES forum members who have been a member for over one month and made at least ten non classified ad posts. Other conditions apply.

How To Use This Forum - Tips And Illustrations
    Illustrated tutorials - add yours

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Perhaps you were being sarcastic but just in case the three main forums are:

Discuss Detroit
    Since 1999 the Internet's Largest Discussion of all topics relating to the Detroit - Windsor Family of Communities. All Detroit, all the time, all in one place.

Detroit Connections
    For relaxed discussions among DetroitYES forum members, making connections, call outs to forum members, and discussions about the forum.

Non Detroit Issues
    For general discussion of subjects NOT Detroit-related

Also available are:

DetroitYES Free* Ads*Free Ads permitted for DetroitYES forum members who have been a member for over one month and made at least ten non classified ad posts. Other conditions apply.

How To Use This Forum - Tips And Illustrations
    Illustrated tutorials - add yours
    partial sarcasm.

Back to the topic... Robert Tannahill's name is on several major works of art at the DIA. He donated his 70+ collection to the DIA which includes several significant French impressionist works. It could possibly worth a half billion dollars today. My favorite from his many donations is Van Gogh's 'Diggers'.

Looks like the house is a total loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

http://www.grossepointenews.com/Arti...rd-to-get.html

November 20, 2014
    GROSSE POINTE FARMS — Sgt. John Bruno was first on scene and, 8 1/2 hours later, among the last to leave a three-alarm fire that destroyed the third-floor attic of a house built like a cement block at the end of Lee Gate Lane, a dead-end below Grosse Pointe Boulevard.

Although an overwhelming number of officers from multiple departments fought the fire, reported at 10:40 p.m. Friday, Nov. 14, flames held them off with home field advantage.

The 5,490-square-foot house dates to 1947 and is being renovated, according to public safety officers.

"I was told the original owner put a lot of cement in the house because he was an art collector and wanted to protect rooms from fire," Bruno said

Reminds me of the long gone attic 3rd story Verheyden Funeral Home on Mack and Outer Dr. It too was consumed by fire many decades ago... still leaving the first 2 stories...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Reminds me of the long gone attic 3rd story Verheyden Funeral Home on Mack and Outer Dr. It too was consumed by fire many decades ago... still leaving the first 2 stories...
    Here you go, Gisty. Here is the story from the G.P. News of when Verheyden's Funeral Home burned. http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitiz...1969-11-06.pdf

See the front page article.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Looks like the house is a total loss.
    On what do you base this assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    On what do you base this assumption?
    Inside information.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Here you go, Gisty. Here is the story from the G.P. News of when Verheyden's Funeral Home burned. http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitiz...1969-11-06.pdf

See the front page article.
    I was surprised given my close location to Verheyden, and a couple generation of my Belgian folks were run thru there I had no memory of that.

Then looked at the date, my first week in Basic Training. Half the world could've burnt then, I wouldn't have known.

A fire was Tannahill's worst nightmare. The home was constructed with steel trusses and concrete floors. It is a brick s**t house. The current owners who recently purchased it from the longtime owners were doing extensive renovations. I understand that the current owners are planning on rebuilding the home. I have been a guest in the home many times. It was a very elegant home, beautifully decorated.

Toughbeak get over,lots of houses burn around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    What a callous and shallow statement. That was a family's home.

How would you feel if your parent's basement burned and you lost everything?

Is that the "Ghetto Swag" or do you really have no feeling for people's misfortunes? Either way, there is a lot of room to improve, up there if you know what I mean...

Fire is an equal opportunity heartbreaker. Loss of a very modest occupied home tears a family up. Been to plenty, and never met a family who "got over it" right away as you suggest.

You can help clean up after the next one and tell the kids who have lost a pet how it's just another fire, and to man up. Sit back and armchair quarterback next time you watch the DFD or Pointe fire dept bust ass to save property or lives.

I am surprised The porch lights are still in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I am surprised The porch lights are still in the picture.
    Sometimes it takes awhile for DTE to get the meter pulled.

Was there loss of life? Are the folks that were renovating out on the street looking for somewhere to live? No insurance of course, if the renovations are under permit, insurance gets well... then lo and behold the renovations really take off. Honestly, I tire of the points having a thread at the top of discuss constantly, haters vs. deffenders, vice versa it gets old. It's a boring bedroom community and you like it that way, makes sense I get it, but does every time anything happens out there immeadiately have to go to the top of this board? It continues to pile on to the us vs them endlessly and that shit has been an endless failure.

As long as mom and dad supply the roof over your head, "what me worry?" eh?

Was there loss of life? Are the folks that were renovating out on the street looking for somewhere to live? No insurance of course, if the renovations are under permit, insurance gets well... then lo and behold the renovations really take off. Honestly, I tire of the points having a thread at the top of discuss constantly, haters vs. deffenders, vice versa it gets old. It's a boring bedroom community and you like it that way, makes sense I get it, but does every time anything happens out there immeadiately have to go to the top of this board? It continues to pile on to the us vs them endlessly and that shit has been an endless failure.

So we shouldn't discuss anything that you think is "no big deal". I get it. Become a moderator and delete any GP post then. Maybe when a historic building burns you should stay out of the discussion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast