Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What kind of car is this.

I am curious if anyone of the motorcity's grease monkeys and gear heads out there would know what make of car is in this photo of the John Lodge freeway from the 1950's?Name:  Car on Lodge, c1950's.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  62.0 KB

Looks like a Porsche.

Just a wild guess, a Pontiac Chieftain.

Hudson Hornet.

Early '50s. Most likely a convertible though, from the rear window configuration.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-19-14 at 12:11 PM.

Better yet, what area of the Lodge was the pix taken? I remember when the Lodge was constructed, but I sure can not identify the area in the photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Better yet, what area of the Lodge was the pix taken? I remember when the Lodge was constructed, but I sure can not identify the area in the photograph.
    Looks north of the city to me, maybe up by 9 mile.

Hudson was my first guess too.

I believe that's the southbound exit at Elmhurst. I think the pedestrian bridge is the one at Monterey, and house in the foreground is the now-bedraggled one seen in this Streetview image [[the chimneys and dormer match, as does the two-toned color configuration). The big building in the background is, I believe, the long-gone Crittenton Home and Hospital.

What remained of this neighborhood appears to have been in the process of being torn down at the time the Streetview images were taken last year.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-19-14 at 02:21 PM.

Excellent job, EastsideAl. I think you got it. Also note the pedestrian bridge location - it matches up.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Excellent job, EastsideAl. I think you got it. Also note the pedestrian bridge location - it matches up.

Well done EastsideAl. I used to tell jjaba many years ago on this site that Eastsiders rule, but he never believed me.
    And is there concurrence that the mystery car is indeed a Hudson? I recall touring the plant with my 4th grade Cub Scout troop.

Nowhere near Nine Mile, that is Highland Park General Hospital coming up on the right side of the Lodge ahead. You are about to go under my grandparents' former house on Leslie Street.

OK, reading above, that could be Crittendon, though I thought it was dark red.

I agree that looks like the Hudson bathtub shape.

my favorite part of this site, is how many can place old with new. thanks,

And is there concurrence that the mystery car is indeed a Hudson? I recall touring the plant with my 4th grade Cub Scout troop.
    Hard to tell for sure given the graininess of the photo, but the body type and oddball wheelbase configuration do seem to match the Hudson.

It's certainly the most likely American car, but it could also be something foreign. One of my first thoughts on seeing the photo was Citroen DS, which began production in 1955, but the back window looks too small and the trunk lid too long for that

My grandfather worked at Hudson Motor Car for over 20 years, right up to the day the plant closed. My Dad worked there as a teenager during WWII, while starting college at Wayne.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-19-14 at 03:29 PM.

I wonder if that could be Morgan Freeman driving Miss Daisy. I saw that movie completely for the first time the other night. Miss Daisy's first car is a Hudson hornet. The time period off that photo would be close to that of the movie.

They were in Atlanta, though. Did they make a trip to the Motor City? I haven't seen the movie in years.

I was thinking Nash,51,52.

Nashes didn't have that scoop for the front tires, straight across they were. Here's a 52 Hudson:

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    They were in Atlanta, though. Did they make a trip to the Motor City? I haven't seen the movie in years.
    Not in the movie but the story did cover a couple of decades and Miss Daisy was kind of whacky so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I wonder if that could be Morgan Freeman driving Miss Daisy. I saw that movie completely for the first time the other night. Miss Daisy's first car is a Hudson hornet. The time period off that photo would be close to that of the movie.
    Miss Daisy's car was too early to be a Hornet. It was a '48 Commodore [[Hornets were new in '51).

I think it's a 52 Hudson - the 51 had more prominent brake lights higher on the fenders

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx2 View Post
    I am curious if anyone of the motorcity's grease monkeys and gear heads out there would know what make of car is in this photo of the John Lodge freeway from the 1950's?...
    Would it help to disclose the source of the image or would that spoil the thrill of the hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Miss Daisy's car was too early to be a Hornet. It was a '48 Commodore [[Hornets were new in '51).
    Thanks. Can't slide anything about cars past a Detroit crowd!

Here is the full photo and I hope it helps.
    Name:  Lodge Freeway, c.1950's.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  50.5 KB

The source?
    Foto stond eerst in spiegelbeeld, even aangepast want dat kijkt wat lekkerder
    Google translate from Dutch:
    Photo was first mirrored, equally matched because that what looks better
    Hmmm. Nice photo! The plot thickens:
    Attachment 24982
    "Lodge Freeway, c.1950's.jpg"
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-20-14 at 09:30 PM.

Okay, at first, after flipping the image about the Y-axis, I wondered, "Why are they driving on the wrong side of the road?!" But then I noticed which side of the cars the drivers were on.

Someone must have accidentally flipped the negative before stamping the WSU © onto the image then the Dutch poster corrected that mistake.

Confusing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast