Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Parking situation: Book Cadillac

What is the parking situation like at the Book Cadillac these days? For spending the night, is it best to use the Valet? How does this work/what is the cost? If I were just coming for a lunch or dinner at one of the restaurants, what is the best parking choice? I'm looking forward to patronizing the B-C and a restaurant or two, and am curious to know what experienced forumers have to recommend.

I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I go downtown I park at Compuware. Its $5.00 All Day, Every Day. No matter if I am walking on the Riverfront or touring the new hotels. It is really convenient and secure place to park.

Now Overnight parking I don't know. There is a parking deck right next to the Book.

A friend of mine uses the valet when he visits the city on business but has complained that it can take thirty minutes for them to retrieve his car. I second the recommendation to park at Compuware if you are just around for an afternoon/evening.

LodgeDodger Guest

Go with valet.

ROAST is exquisite. Better than most restaurants that I've been to in NYC. If you have the opportunity to go, do it. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny, unfortunately.

As for Valet, I know that with Roast, if you park Valet they will validate and you only have to pay $5 for parking. I'm not sure if Westin has the same policy, but I would assume so. Our experience with the Valet Staff has been wonderful -- very professional, happy, people. Never had a problem with them.

If you are staying the night at the hotel, parking is free, but of course, tip.

If you are popping into one of the three bars alone or with a buddy, cruise up and down Washington and park at a meter. Tip: Leave nothing in plain view in the car and you'll be fine. Parking is free after five or six.

If you're on a date, actually "doing the town", or feeling really lazy, be a shooter and use the valet. You can avoid a wait on a busy night when just before you need your car, simply excuse yourself to the valet. Tell him your party will be leaving in the next several minutes from 'X' and to be aware. Tip him. Don't abuse the time you told him and your car will be there. I nearly always self-park, but if I recall correctly, the valet service is free with validation at the hotel's bars and restraunts. Again, tip.

If I might add, the Book-Cadillac is Detroit's treasure. It is a very special place and it's very presence speaks volumes about us as a regional people.

The service strives to be, and for the most part is, superb. Employees of the enterprise are sincere, friendly, down-to-earth professionals who come to us from some of the region's best service industries. They 'exude Detroit' and are fine representatives, frankly.

The Book-Cadillac is also a people place, and one with such character and richness of experience, it becomes memorable and makes for excellent lore.

All of which is to say, gentlemen will wear jackets.

Park at Compuware, get your ticket validated at the Hard Rock and it is free

When I stayed at the Book Cadillac recently on a weekend [[July 10-12), I was told that the valet would be $20-25 per night, so I parked in the Griswold parking structure located next to the Book Cadillac. That lot is $10 per night.. [[I am calling it the Griswold structure because the Griswold condo development originally would have gone above the parking deck.) To access the Book Cadillac from the parking structure, you need to go to the ground floor and then can usually enter the hotel on the Michigan Ave. side [[but once the door was locked and I had to walk around to Washington). If they are indeed charging for valet parking and you want your car right at the hotel, I'd suggest the Griswold Parking structure [[enter on Michigan).

I went in and out of the structure after dark, and while I saw no security actively monitoring the lot, it seems very safe and there were no sketchy characters around, so I would say go for the self-park next door unless the valet is free.

$20-25 a night for parking in Detroit? Have those people lost their minds?

I've used the valet all three times I've stayed at the BC this year. It's a $25.00 charge that's added to your bill. You can come and go as you please and I've never waited more than ten minutes for my vehicle.

Non-locals are not going to park at Compuware and walk to the Book Caddy. It just doesn't normally happen. I've tried to get them, many times, many different parties. 95% of people want to park next to where they're going, or going isn't an option.

Best bet is to bite the bullet and spend the $10 at the garage and self-park. Valet is OK but only on non-event days or days they don't have something going on at a ballroom. I waited about a half hour for the car going there to an event. I don't know if there's complimentary for the restaurants - if I've gone I've walked in - there have been comps for events I've been to. If there isn't, there should be.

I know someone from spa1924grille reads this forum so I'm sure they'll jump in an help you if they see it. And since I typed their name in here, it'll probably show up in their Google alert if they have it ;-)

Considering I paid $20 in Toronto and $35 in Chicago to park at the hotel [[both nice like the BC), for that class of hotel that's not unheard of to charge $25 for valet for overnight.

You should enjoy your experience. It's all good, there's been a masterful job done with the place :-)

I was in Detroit last week and had lunch at the Grille on the ground floor. [[$110 w/tip, for two.) Food/service was good.

The person who drove me tried two parking meters on Washington Blvd and lost $.50 in each because neither worked. We parked in the Griswold [[?) Garage next door and asked our waiter if he could validate the parking ticket. Said they couldn't do it but had we used the valet we would not have had to pay. The garage cost $8.00.

Life in the big city.

Haven't stayed the night at BC but have eaten at both Roast and 24G. Valet was free [[just tip). However, when I went to 24G the person I was w/ didn't valet and he was able to easily find a metered-parking spot. BTW. I recommend both Roast and 24G. Also, both had great "mixologists" if you just want to just stop in for a drink. And my bill for 24G wasn't that high from what I recall. Roast, yes.