Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can Detroit street lighting system get stray voltages?

What is stray voltage? It is caused by either loose or fray wires or insulation from underground wiring. A recent report from NBC News Today Show said that Stray voltages are beginning to surface in most American Cities. Washington, DC. has the highest report of stray voltages in the United States. Leading people, pets and any creatures to their deaths!!!

Does Detroit Public Lighting and DTE Energy know about these stray voltages? Surely we have more broken street lights and expose wiring from its transformer deposits. What can Detroiters do to stay away from the stray voltage areas? One step and we're in for a shock! What can Mike Duggan, Detroit City District Council and its workers can do to fix this problem? Detroiters and their pets don't want a shocking experience when they came in contact with a anything conducting electricity.

Wikipedia's stray voltage article

I don't see any new hazard here. It does explain the importance of proper grounding for safety.

I once worked on a communications system in a very large old facility in Phoenix. We discovered a large voltage potential between earth ground at opposite ends of the plant. No one could explain it. We had to take it into account in our design though otherwise our communications would get all garbled. Weird problem. Grounding is important.

What about all the water??? Do Detroiters and DWSD know they can't breathe under water??? One misstep and boom you're drowned!! Ohhhhh the humanity!!!!!

This has been a problem since the dawn of electrical distribution. Thomas Edison had to deal with it. So, I'm pretty sure the city & DTE are aware of it. Frankly, I'd be more worried about "lead poisoning" while walking down the street than the possibility of an electrical boogie man zapping me to death.

It's not much of a problem with underground wiring - as electricity wants to travel towards the earth, not away from it. Most problems come from high voltage overhead cables.

You might have problems under unusual circumstances, say if there is a high voltage wire is too close to the surface, is frayed, the ground is wet and you're walking without shoes. A lady was electrocuted in NYC after stepping on a metal plate that was sitting on a broken power cable.

Then there was this recent nightmare story: Short circuit killed middle school student at football game.

So sad.

The district will implement a new preventative maintenance schedule, according to Superintendent Ellen Bonter.
    I should hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Then there was this recent nightmare story: Short circuit killed middle school student at football game.

So sad.

I should hope so!

It was truly a stray voltage that killed a 13 year old boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

It was truly a stray voltage that killed a 13 year old boy.
    Yes, and despite my dismissive
    I don't see any new hazard here.
    above, I should add that this is a legitimate concern, a suddenly increasing consequence of deteriorating infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What is stray voltage? It is caused by either loose or fray wires or insulation from underground wiring. A recent report from NBC News Today Show said that Stray voltages are beginning to surface in most American Cities. Washington, DC. has the highest report of stray voltages in the United States. Leading people, pets and any creatures to their deaths!!!

Does Detroit Public Lighting and DTE Energy know about these stray voltages? Surely we have more broken street lights and expose wiring from its transformer deposits. What can Detroiters do to stay away from the stray voltage areas? One step and we're in for a shock! What can Mike Duggan, Detroit City District Council and its workers can do to fix this problem? Detroiters and their pets don't want a shocking experience when they came in contact with a anything conducting electricity.
    Well that explains everything. You get your news from the "Today" show. Always wondered what kind of person can't find something better to do with their time than watch that crap.

DetroitBoy Guest

Don't we need to get more voltage to streets where there are no lights before they worry about stray voltage? And hey, I like Hoda. She's hot!
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; November-13-14 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Don't we need to get more voltage to streets where there are no lights before they worry about stray voltage? And hey, I like Hoda. She's hot!
    Hey no problem if you think someone is "hot" you get a free pass, just not for content, altogether different reasons for watching.

What street lights?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well that explains everything. You get your news from the "Today" show. Always wondered what kind of person can't find something better to do with their time than watch that crap.

I get my street more from the ghetto hoods of Detroit before the local and national news.