Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    DetroitBoy Guest

Default Grosse Pointe going ghetto?

What is with the recent rash of home invasions in the Pointes? I am sad to hear the news where these are becoming daily occurrences in what is [[or was) one of the finest areas in SE Mich. Are the Pointes going ghetto like the bordering Detroit and Harper Woods areas have become?

LOL No, still is. I personally haven't heard about anything but I would hardly surmise this is the end of the Pointes.

Whatever happened to that post about Somerset becoming ghetto? Can we bump that up to get a good laugh?

Willi Guest

Are we allowed to use the word "Ghetto" on this forum ?

Many felt offended when I used the word in my Forum Thread Title
    Does Detroit Suffer From Ghetto-Itis

Let's see, I was accused of

- white cultural chauvinism
    - intrusive busybody
    - post is complete gibberish
    - post IS thoroughly offensive....
    - You are an amazing asshole
    - A nonstop barrage of chest-beating suburban ex-Detroit triumphalism
    - Holy cow this thread is something else
    - those who are calling it are seeing it mistakenly
    - quite a bit of condescension towards people in the city
    - this thread unusually misguided

Now the word Ghetto - is okay - depending on who posted it ?
    Double Standard, Forked Tongues, Etc.
    Last edited by Willi; November-12-14 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Are we allowed to use the word "Ghetto" on this forum ?

Many felt offended when I used the word in my Forum Thread Title
    Does Detroit Suffer From Ghetto-Itis

Let's see, I was accused of
    - white cultural chauvinism
    - intrusive busybody
    - post is complete gibberish
    - post IS thoroughly offensive....
    - You are an amazing asshole

Now the word Ghetto - is okay - depending on who posted it ?
    dont you fret, your thread is still stupid.

"Going Ghetto" = "More Detroiters Moving In" = "More Black People Moving In"

Willi Guest

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh It's like the N word - I get it now

Some can use it, but others can't

Wonder if they use the N word in Somerset or Grosse Pointe ?
    Do they need permission first, a certain eligibility card they pass out somewhere

Most figure out if they are in the Ghetto, even if they don't have that permission card first
    Last edited by Willi; November-12-14 at 08:19 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

The story of a lady having her home broken into today while she was raking leaves in the front of her house was on channel 7 and 2 today. There have been home invasions in Grosse Pointe Farms every day now for 5 days. Two Banks have been robbed in Grosse Pointe as well in two weeks. There's nothing funny about any of this.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    The story of a lady having her home broken into today while she was raking leaves in the front of her house was on channel 7 and 2 today. There have been home invasions in Grosse Pointe Farms every day now for 5 days. Two Banks have been robbed in Grosse Pointe as well in two weeks. There's nothing funny about any of this.
    And they quickly found the perps in all cases.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...invasion-case/

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...bery/18000555/

For one, burglaries and robberies aren't limited to ghetto areas, plenty of affluent cities tend to see higher rates of property crime because most of them are crimes are opportunity. People assume crime won't happen where they live which leads criminals to commit said crimes. It has nothing to do with being or in proximity to a "ghetto" area. In fact, I've read crime reports from Bloomfield Hills where police have to constantly remind people to simply lock their doors when leaving their property unattended to prevent 99% of most crimes.

Yes. That's exactly what's happening.

Sometimes I wonder that I bother to post at all. Detroit Boy and Cliffi sound like a mated couple already. Veiled racism is just simply unacceptable. Dictionaries still exist on paper and on line. Try looking up words you use to just stir the pot. Personally, I have decided to no longer be PC, age and grumpiness compromised that. Values and concern for fellow enlightened citizens will never cease. Hard to pick between the two of you which is a bigger ass hole

No there's nothing funny about crime. But what I do find funny is your jump from a rash of robberies, which let's face it happens every 6 months in some "safe" suburb, to mean that said suburb is suddenly now the "ghetto". And after 4 years on this forum and only 7 previous posts, you come out of seemingly nowhere to discuss this?

C'mon dude, quit the sensationalism. We're not stupid and it's not appreciated.

DetroitBoy Guest

They have not caught the people committing the invasions in Grosse Pointe Farms. Frankly, I don't accept that just because these people have been caught that the residents of GP should react with anything less than outrage by these incidents. When people start to accept these as normal occurrences, that's when neighborhoods really start to dive. That has happened in the neighborhoods all around the Pointes. There was even a church burned a few weeks ago in GPW. Is that suppose to be considered a crime of opportunity as well?

They have not caught the people committing the invasions in Grosse Pointe Farms. Frankly, I don't accept that just because these people have been caught that the residents of GP should react with anything less than outrage by these incidents. When people start to accept these as normal occurrences, that's when neighborhoods really start to dive. That has happened in the neighborhoods all around the Pointes. There was even a church burned a few weeks ago in GPW. Is that suppose to be considered a crime of opportunity as well?
    So what, you think Detroiters aren't upset about the crime committed in their neighborhoods?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    dont you fret, your thread is still stupid.
    Thank you for my laugh for today.

The only thing I could find is a Harper Woods church that burned. Which, for all we know, was an electrical fire. But Harper Woods is already "ghetto", so it's no big deal. Happens all time in the ghetto.

I have heard that home invasions are up all over. They also seem to come in waves. Ann Arbor had 80 home invasions in two months a couple years ago. Of course, there were no attendant conversations on whether the tenor of the city was changing.

The way I see it, experience burglars will spend the time to case a house and fine out when somebody isn't home. I think it's the rookies who are going for the home invasions. Quite a few of them have been shot dead before they got far.

This thread is being what it is, I'll just say the larger question is why we worry, "Is violent crime spilling into this area?" Would it be acceptable if the crime stayed on the other side of Alter Road?

Actually, that church he is referring was a thrift store on Vernier. It was a pretty prominent location and I don't think that was at all random. Only "minor" items were ever taken during the reported break-ins. It's more likely insurance fraud if anything.

DetroitBoy Guest

There was no electrical fire according to the Pastor.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...-fire/29354756

The place has been there since 1958 and the church even longer. It's a fine welcome to Harper Woods and Grosse Pointe Woods when you come off at the Vernier exit and see that on the major thoroughfare.

Are thier restrooms open to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sometimes I wonder that I bother to post at all.
    I think a lot of other people wonder the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think a lot of other people wonder the same thing.
    Yes I love you too. Your amazing nasty Detroit snarks always amuse. Actually you are rather wrong. I have made many actual and virtual friends as a result of this board. Have hosted people from around the world who don't seem to hate Detroit like you do. Really please tell your story. The hate that gets shown is bemusing.

I could list so many people who make Detroit a better place, urban, suburban, Canadian and from elsewhere. Trust me you are not on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Yes I love you too. Your amazing nasty Detroit snarks always amuse. Actually you are rather wrong. I have made many actual and virtual friends as a result of this board. Have hosted people from around the world who don't seem to hate Detroit like you do. Really please tell your story. The hate that gets shown is bemusing.

I could list so many people who make Detroit a better place, urban, suburban, Canadian and from elsewhere. Trust me you are not on that list.
    You should make a movie about it. "Suma's List".

What is with the recent rash of home invasions in the Pointes? I am sad to hear the news where these are becoming daily occurrences in what is [[or was) one of the finest areas in SE Mich. Are the Pointes going ghetto like the bordering Detroit and Harper Woods areas have become?
    Most of the "invasions" seem to involve unlocked doors. So lock your doors. And this is not a recent occurrence. This has been going on for over a year, probably more, off and on. The media [[ who are just now reporting on stuff that happened 3 weeks ago) are way behind as usual. This is news? When I lived in the sticks there were thefts from unlocked barns, houses etc.

Fortunately the rapid police response in the Pointes is a deterrent. Quite a few of these folks have been caught. I hope no one breaks into the wrong house and loses their life over $15 worth of property.

The rest of this crap about "going ghetto" etc is just trolling and I won't address it. I wouldn't wish a crime on anyone anywhere. Some of these "invasions" have the potential to turn out bad. Take every precaution.

Now that's the question! Crime containment will shift for many reasons. And I cannot believe that everyone south of Alter is waiting prey for just one GP to happen to walk their dog, leave a door open or a awaiting a bank line short enough to wager a robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This thread is being what it is, I'll just say the larger question is why we worry, "Is violent crime spilling into this area?" Would it be acceptable if the crime stayed on the other side of Alter Road?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-13-14 at 04:48 AM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast