Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Well this Free Press story, posted today, is apropos of the discussion here:
    From detroit free press:
    Police make arrest in 7-Eleven armed robbery
    Morey-Greer was arrested on Jan. 16 by St. Clair Shores Police and charged with one count of armed robbery.
    The 7-11 robber is found to be a female resident of Grosse Pointe Park.
    I can't communicate how startling it is, for a person who grew up on the lower east side, shopping in the Village, swimming, skating with friends from GPP and aware of the standards required to have a home there [[so impossible to comprehend now) how startling this story is.

http://on.freep.com/1JbjUMe

Sent from my iPhone
    What's disturbing to me, is that Jefferson is clearly marked "East Jefferson" and "West Jefferson" yet she fled "North" on Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What's disturbing to me, is that Jefferson is clearly marked "East Jefferson" and "West Jefferson" yet she fled "North" on Jefferson.
    It's common for locals to say North or South when referring to Jefferson or Mack in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It's common for locals to say North or South when referring to Jefferson or Mack in this area.
    I suppose she could've just ran accross the street on Jefferson. Nice photo of her too.

That young woman attended GP South HS [[unknown if she graduated) and was arrested three years ago for assaulting the Principal and another staff member. Arrested at the scene.
    This according to an article in the Grosse Pointe News online.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Quite the future prediction there. I, being a glass half full kind of guy, will predict just the opposite. In 15 years, not thirty, high resolution wireless cheap digital cameras connected to computers will be able to search the path of any vehicle even pedestrians and will be hung on every utility/light pole almost everywhere making your "ghettos" shrink considerably when the ability to commit mobile crime is practically extinguished. It will be too hard to pull off. Whenever a crime is committed, they will be able to identify the vehicle/individual going to it and literally right back to where they settled. Then the developers will be putting new subdivisions on the urban prairies of the east side not being able to resist the affordable well located land.

Then crime will be a thing of the past. I don't think so! Criminals can find a way to hack into any electronic crime prevention devices and rob any area they want without getting caught in seconds. Minority Report "pre-crime" prevention culture is not going to work.

As long you have folks donning Trayvon Martins carrying glocks in the back of their pants, crime will happen. This will put middle class folks in state of fear, move away from the neighborhoods, lower property values, and bringing in lower income welfare folks. Thus you have a crime laden ghetto.

I don't think rich white and middle class folks of the remaining Richvilles will lose their precious million dollar mansions near their lakefront properties. It's a smaller home stock in some areas Grosse Pointes and Harper Woods will lose out to lower income welfare pacificied black folks. Grosse Pointe Woods will be the first victim then Grosse Pointe Park, but only in smaller fashionable and dressed up homes.

For as I know white folks had already lost Harper Woods and Eastpointe. They don't want to live too close ghetto hoods of Detroit. At least some of them.

Last edited by Danny; January-23-15 at 08:35 AM.

you guys crack me up. Grosse Pointe is fine. It should ignore its super liberals residents and the condemnation of Detroiters and Detroit politicians and close off some more roads into GPP. Focus more police on the border areas it shares with the city and put some cameras on the entry points to capture license plates of those coming in. Schools should have residency requirements. Insulate the community. If this were to happen, instead of suffering threads like this with Detroit resident provocateurs surreptitiously celebrating the problems caused in the Pointes by their ilk we would have more threads where they cry about how racist and unfair the Grosse Pointe communities are.

Grosse Pointe Woods citizens believed they were exemplars of tolerance when the town transitioned from under 1% black to 4.5% black. A black professional moved in on one block and people three blocks away didn't bat an eyelid, but rather told friends how tolerant and accepting their community was for accepting this person.

Now that it's been confirmed that a black person may have committed a crime in St. Clair Shores, some residents fear they may have to move. It has nothing to do with the color of the suspect, but rather test scores.

Wow. A 182 posts and not one whining about the parks being closed to non-residents. Come on progressives, get on the stick!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Grosse Pointe Woods citizens believed they were exemplars of tolerance when the town transitioned from under 1% black to 4.5% black. A black professional moved in on one block and people three blocks away didn't bat an eyelid, but rather told friends how tolerant and accepting their community was for accepting this person.

Now that it's been confirmed that a black person may have committed a crime in St. Clair Shores, some residents fear they may have to move. It has nothing to do with the color of the suspect, but rather test scores.
    Hey that's pretty funny stuff. Let me ask you a few questions. Did the "Black Professional" get hauled in for armed robbery of a party store? Did the "Black Professional" break in to his neighbors apartment next door, choke her with an electrical cord, and steal her I-Phone and laptop? Did the "Black Professional" threaten to put "a cap up her ass" when a neighbor went over, @ 2:30 a.m., and asked them, politely, to turn the blaring music down? If the answer is "no" to my questions, then you can probably understand why the neighbors of the "Black Professional" didn't have an issue with him/her. I hope you can see the difference.

We reached out to the fictional resident Gross Woods for comments.

"Look, it's just one crime by one person. I get that. It happens," he said. "We're a very tolerant community. A black woman moved in 7 streets from me, and no one I knew cared. This is the 21st century. We've moved on."

Then why do you have a for sale sign in the lawn?

"Oh, this? Like I said, I'm very accepting. But this one single crime perpetrated by a lone actor could have a very negative effect on test scores. It could snowball. Would you subject your kid to that?"

No. No, I wouldn't. But could it be that if a school is well-equipped and the neighborhood is safe and quiet, your child should be able to do fine even if the student in the next seat over scores just a smidgen lower?

"Now wait a minute. You're trying to say my daughter is responsible for her scores? That I'm responsible, too? No. It's all on the district. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. I'll move my daughter to a bunch of different schools before I'd ever point the finger at her or myself."

We thanked Mr. Woods for his time.
    Last edited by nain rouge; January-23-15 at 11:02 AM.

Mr. Woods called us after the report with a few clarifications.

"I want to make it clear that if a white person committed this crime, I'd be half as worried. Half. Those alleged graffiti artist teenagers didn't bother me one bit," Woods said. "White, female troublemakers? That shouldn't effect test scores in the slightest!

"This is Metro Detroit. You know the drill."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk
    I hope you can see the difference.

How many of those crimes happened in Grosse Pointe Woods? In the Shores? Farms? Etc? The fear is overblown, though some of the crimes are heinous.
    Last edited by nain rouge; January-23-15 at 11:43 AM.

White middle class folks will not move out of St. Clair Shores in accelerated numbers. But by really slow percentage. If they see at least 10 to 20 black folks moving to St. Clair Shores, 30 to 50 white folks will move out. But most white folks don't want to give their lakefront properties yet.

How many of those crimes happened in Grosse Pointe Woods? In the Shores? Farms? Etc? The fear is overblown, though some of the crimes are heinous.
    Other then the party store robbery, the other two did, and there are more, a lot more.

But, be sure to note that the armed robbery of the party store was committed by a long-term resident of Grosse Pointe Park. At least she was attending South when she was arrested for assaulting the principal in 2001 and the report said she was then a student at South.
    I know that getting into a fight in HS is retry common [[although in my Catholic school of several decades ago, I never witnessed or heard of one in school) but I never before read of a Grosse Pte. Resident arrested for armed robbery.
    Unless someone can prove me wrong, I see this is as new low-water mark for the community.

Unless someone can prove me wrong, I see this is as new low-water mark for the community.
    It's all relative. Compare to our immediate neighbors.

DetroitBoy Guest

But, be sure to note that the armed robbery of the party store was committed by a long-term resident of Grosse Pointe Park. At least she was attending South when she was arrested for assaulting the principal in 2001 and the report said she was then a student at South.
    I know that getting into a fight in HS is retry common [[although in my Catholic school of several decades ago, I never witnessed or heard of one in school) but I never before read of a Grosse Pte. Resident arrested for armed robbery.
    It really is a low point. The Farms is no better with residents up in arms about the number of rentals there and trying to change the law to prevent them. They were told 'no' by the City Council. Sad that there are so many rentals running the Farms down now too.

January 22, 2015
    GROSSE POINTE FARMS — Cheryl Sieber grew up in the Grosse Pointes and thought she knew the community.

She lived in the Shores and Woods before buying a house last spring on Moran between Charlevoix and Beaupre, almost dead center in the Farms.

Instead of feeling like scoring a bull's-eye, it's more like biting an apple and tasting a worm.

"I never expected it," Sieber said. "Some crazy things have gone on."

The same with block resident Geraldine Lacombe.

She wouldn't give specifics, saying mainly, "See the police reports."

Indeed, a page 1 story in the Jan. 1 Grosse Pointe News headlined, "Crash causes chaos," chronicled three men allegedly fleeing a single-vehicle car wreck to rental property on the block.

Lacombe added, "Code violations on cars, landscape issues, trash issues; cell phone conversations that are completely inappropriate and loud."

Vulgar language?

"Oh, yeah," she said.

The nexus, both women and about a dozen neighbors assured the Farms city council Monday, Jan. 12, is the seemingly high number of rental properties in the 200 block of Moran.

Neighbors agreed with Councilman Peter Waldmeir to appoint a liaison to work with the city toward improvements.

"That's exactly what we were trying to do — initiate dialogue, raise our concern to a higher awareness, address what we can, find out what we need to be doing so we can prevent this," Lacombe said.

"We did something similar a couple years ago on Belanger," said City Manager Shane Reeside. "We made good progress."

"We want to take care of things to bring them up to a standard," said Mayor James Farquhar.

Waldmeir, an attorney, said it's premature for the group to form a neighborhood association disallowing rentals, even with a grandfather clause.

"There's a mechanism in place," said Waldmeir, referring to fixing problems through the enforcement of existing building codes. "An investigation will be undertaken. We need to be given the opportunity to do those things.

He added, "You're ultimate concern of restricting rental usage on your street or any street — that's a wrong way to go. The law is the law."

There are about 150 rental properties in the Farms, according to Reeside.

You guys have wayyyyyy to much time on your hands. Do any of you work?

I do a couple hold-ups once in a while but nothing to keep me away too long.

It's been going ghetto for a long time. June, 1930:

TWO PARK PATROLMEN, VICTIMS OF RUTHLESS GUN FIRE OF GANGSTERS, BURIED WEDNESDAY

Gangsters' Cold Blooded Double Murder of Park Officers Marks Grosse Pointe's First Patrolmen to Pay with Lives in Discharge of Duties

Also that week:

Two Daring Robbers Ransack Sales Home Escaping With $300

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    So GPwrangler, I know you might be biased and all, but do you think this is a good area to purchase a home right now or not? I don't want to see the price of my home steadily drop over the next 5-10 years. Is this rental property thing really a big deal going on in GP and should it be a place that I stay away from? I have noticed the pointes on a slight decline over the past 5-10 years atleast, anything else I should know. In DetroitBoys post the lady said a lot has been going on, just check the police reports. What did she mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    So GPwrangler, I know you might be biased and all, but do you think this is a good area to purchase a home right now or not? I don't want to see the price of my home steadily drop over the next 5-10 years. Is this rental property thing really a big deal going on in GP and should it be a place that I stay away from? I have noticed the pointes on a slight decline over the past 5-10 years atleast, anything else I should know. In DetroitBoys post the lady said a lot has been going on, just check the police reports. What did she mean by this?
    Seriously? WTF do you think that means, and WTF do you think you should check? You never leave the dock, do you? Good Idea. You'd run it aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler

That's a zinger, man. I'm destroyed.

Seriously? WTF do you think that means, and WTF do you think you should check? You never leave the dock, do you? Good Idea. You'd run it aground.

Funny, you smell the fishfry too, eh?

Rarely, actually. I live on my boat. Keeps me from having to deal with real world problems that are going on in the area. This board keeps me up to date with whats going on though. Scary world out there isn't it?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast