Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Now Hiring: Detroit City District Councilman or Councilwoman.

City of Detroit Gov't is putting out applications for a new district Detroit City Councilman or woman. This is for Detroit resident only and living in Detroit for over a year. The annual salary is $76,000 dollars a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    City of Detroit Gov't is putting out applications for a new district Detroit City Councilman or woman. This is for Detroit resident only and living in Detroit for over a year. The annual salary is $76,000 dollars a year.
    Would I get a free car, secretary, and a get out of DUI free card?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Would I get a free car, secretary, and a get out of DUI free card?
    Hey, I want to say, do you know who the fuck I am.

^^^also a get out of paying for your house! your water bill, your property taxes, and a bonus "get out of jail free" card. Maybe some "extra" cash for ignoring proper procedures and protocols. If we look at those on the clowncil right now and use them as an example, Detroit politics will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    ^^^also a get out of paying for your house! your water bill, your property taxes, and a bonus "get out of jail free" card. Maybe some "extra" cash for ignoring proper procedures and protocols. If we look at those on the clowncil right now and use them as an example, Detroit politics will never change.
    Just to be fair, you still have to pay $59 a year in property tax.

You can apply to be on city council? You don't have to be elected? Seems weird, but maybe logical given the cost and logistics that would go into filling one council seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link to where one would apply for the job, or something that stipulates the requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Interesting...

So new employees still qualify for pensions...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Interesting...

So new employees still qualify for pensions...
    The sky did not fall.

I hope we've returned to the good ol' days where working for the City meant you would earn a little less than in the private sector -- but in exchange received above-average benefits. To me, that seems quite appropriate.

where do you pick up the applications?

CTY it would be nice if you gave it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    where do you pick up the applications?

At the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center starting November 19th to December 5th. Act fast! be there early. There will be lots of Detroiters waiting in line for that kind of a 'Golden Ticket!' to politics. You don't even have to campaign for a seat.

WOW! sounds easy!
    Last edited by Danny; November-13-14 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sorry to be the one to debunk this, but I wouldn't want my bargaining unit to be the "Detroit Police Offers Association"

Go to the City of Detroit human resources page http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...bOpenings.aspx

Any legit city jobs are posted there.

My bad. It is egit in the fact that the city clerk will distribute applications and the city council is planning on appointing a new member. http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...or-vacant-seat

Quote Originally Posted by loveDetroit View Post
    Sorry to be the one to debunk this, but I wouldn't want my bargaining unit to be the "Detroit Police Offers Association"

Go to the City of Detroit human resources page http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...bOpenings.aspx

Any legit city jobs are posted there.
    I didn't even catch that. THAT'S funny!

I've a felony record. That would qualify me for the position right?

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I've a felony record. That would qualify me for the position right?
    Qualify? That would be prerequisite.