Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit was # 1 in 2013 murder rates and violent crime rates

Detroit led US in murder, crime rates, FBI says
    The Detroit News - ‎30 minutes ago‎

Detroit was tops in both murder rates and violent crime rates among cities with populations of more than 100,000. Two more Michigan cities, Flint and Saginaw, joined Detroit among the top five most dangerous cities with populations greater than 50,000.

Silver lining?

Craig said the city has 261 murders so far this year and is on pace to end with its lowest number in four years. Savings from the city's bankruptcy are expected to increase the ranks of the police, which now has 2,800 sworn and civilian personnel.

... have plans worked out to bring in more civilian employees to do desk work?

Well, it can be argued that we're alot further along in getting the crime mess down then back when Chief Ella Cummings was busy distracted defending the actions, ala standing side-by-side of a rogue mayor [[Kilpatrick) on the nightly network news broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Silver lining?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-11-14 at 06:06 PM.

Crime has been falling but it's kind of cancelled out by the population loss. Less crime with less people still means everyone else still has the same chance of being affected.

I know that murders went up between 2010 and 2012 despite the loss in population so to me we can't say there is always a direct correlation between the two.

So many things wrong, so many things right. I prefer my silver linings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Silver lining?
    sumas
    So many things wrong, so many things right. I prefer my silver linings.
    Hopium ?...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Hopium ?...
    I like that too. I truly wish I could express better all the fantastic experiences I have, My D is just so different from what gets published. Certainly huge crime and weird shit but I'll stick with Toto, nothing wrong here and the rainbows are great.

And in other news, the sunrise was in the east this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And in other news, the sunrise was in the east this morning...
    and it promises to be a new day! just like each and every one of them are.

I really do wake up to fantastic sunrises. Our 5.6 acres of urban prairie mowed and maintained by fantastic neighbors afford me a gorgeous morning every day.

Live every day like it is your last. The doom and gloom I read implies I'll be murdered just being a Detroit resident. Of course I would prefer to be murdered for opinions and a stance on issues. Wait .... where is the DY idiot that sent hate mail to my home.

I admit I was quite intimidated by that mail. Actually did sign up for a home invasion alarm as a result. Being a forum member shouldn't be scary, Some how I doubt that creep was a Detroit resident. I'll take my chances in the city.

I agree. Stay Urban. Fact is: I like that Detroit-living gave me a realistic view of the entire world. I find so many who move out, eventually come back, because they felt Detroit was "more real", and those other places are contrived and over-engineered and Nerf-ish. I also like that Detroit gave me eyes in the back of my head; in actuality, Detroit is so spread-out and vacant, you can usually see when trouble is coming from a distance [[usually...). Also, The issue at hand about "top murder city" has also applied to Gary,In., East St. Louis, and at times, Rochester, NY. If you want to escape violence, see if living in San Antonio is any better, and get back to me....

Willi Guest

Wonder why Detroit doesn't seek "options" for more Visibility and Presence on the Streets

http://ipmba.org/images/uploads/IPMB...2013V2-WEB.pdf

INTERNATIONAL POLICE MOUNTAIN BIKE ASSOCIATION
    583 Frederick Road, Suite 5B
    Baltimore, MD 21228
    PH: 410-744-2400 ~ FX: 410-744-5504
    E-mail: info@ipmba.org

In todays world of Wireless Communications it's tough to outrun a radio
    - especially once your description, clothing, etc. are broadcast to all in a neighborhood.
    Combined with a helicopter searchlight, it becomes damn near impossible.
    Automotive Vehicles can be dispatched to a scene as needed
    Last edited by Willi; November-15-14 at 10:35 AM.