Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

is the food good at Niki's?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is the food good at Niki's?
    Damn good pizza, although the price for two slices after yesterday's visit, including the ticket, was $49.

I had their Feta Pizza last weekend. It was delicious, and while I am glad I tried it sans toppings, I will try adding JUST onion next time.

thoro Guest

The posters must all be from suburbia, cornfield country. A Detroiter would have a handicap plate or placard. If they forgot to display the placard, they simply would not pay the fine.
    THAT is the difference.

You should know by now, meter maids are like roaches. The world may be coming to an end but they will still be giving out tickets. The most conscientious and dogged civil servants ever. If they ran the rest of the city this way, they'd be making money instead of losing it. Learned my lesson a long time ago about those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by thoro View Post
    The posters must all be from suburbia, cornfield country. A Detroiter would have a handicap plate or placard. If they forgot to display the placard, they simply would not payhe fine.
    THAT is the difference.
    Huh????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Huh????????????????
    Don't feed the troll.

The posters must all be from suburbia, cornfield country. A Detroiter would have a handicap plate or placard. If they forgot to display the placard, they simply would not pay the fine.
    THAT is the difference.
    I think that both city folks and suburbanites [[like myself) find your comments appalling...

I don't know which is redder.... the look on Sumas's face when she got the ticket... or the back of your neck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I think they can put 'another' parking ticket on your car if you stay beyond an hour after the first ticket.
    Hey now, don't give them ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    NYC parking tickets for meter violations are now $65 in Manhattan south of 96th St., and $35 in the rest of the city. In Chicago it's $65 downtown and $50 in the rest of the city.
    Ah try $65 on Broadway and 196th. And $119 within a certain distance from a fire hydrant.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Hey now, don't give them ideas.
    You can get a ticket if you run out and re-load the meter. When meter readers check the meters sometimes they mark the tires then come back and if they see where the owner came out before the meter expired and loaded it up they will give you a ticket for staying past the 1 or 2 hour limit. It happened to me. The judge said staying parked in the same spot over the posted time is a violation. I had to pay the ticket.

Here are two of my Detroit ticket experiences from several years back.
    1.) I visited the Renaissance Center in the early eighties. I parked on Jefferson.
    The ticket was for about $25.00, and I was sure I was validly parked, but paid
    the ticket anyways. [[It might've been only $10 that I paid.)
    Around that time I also went to the Paperbacks Unlimited bookstore in Ferndale.
    I browsed for a little too long, and when I got back to my car, there was a parking
    ticket, which I paid immediately for $3.00. I was sure I stayed in the store for
    too long so I felt better about the Ferndale ticket than the Detroit ticket.
    Keep in mind that at the time most shopping was done at shopping malls, where
    a big draw luring shoppers from all of the old downtown districts was that you
    could park at the mall for free for all day long if you liked.
    2.) Right after I moved to Detroit, street cleaning was still in effect. This was
    admittedly very occasional, maybe twice a year. Once I missed seeing the "street
    cleaning tomorrow - do not park in the street" signs until I looked for them, AFTER
    getting a ticket on my car in front of my house.
    Dream tickets...

Ehh, what? I'm from the D. Midtown are dead center of the city... I have a handicapped tag as I have problems walking, though I don't always park in handicapped. I've gotten tickets in the past. If you overstay your time you ARE getting a ticket - handicapped tag or not... '4-5' dollars worth or more. Though I have faught a couple of them and won.

THAT is the difference.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-12-14 at 02:11 AM.

There was a story on the radio today about a new TowStop idea. Funding for its development is being sought on Indiegogo.

It's basically a simple way for someone to contact a driver via their improperly-parked car — an attempt to avoid being towed.

I'm skeptical about it but it's interesting. Maybe it will spark another idea.

This is a little off-topic, but I couldn't find the thread on it. Over a number of
    years one of the biggest issues in Dearborn politics was whether the parking
    lots behind the West Dearborn shopping district along Michigan Avenue should
    be paid parking or not. The Little Professor Bookstore owners there went out
    of business complaining long and loud about the instituting of paid parking in
    the city owned parking area by the bookstore. It was an issue for the
    Dearborn City Council elections as well.

If it were up to me I would neither charge for parking nor would I give out parking
    tickets in a shopping district [[especially so long as there are malls). In general I feel
    that the increase in visitors to the stores would make up for money gained by parking
    fees and fines. I can't prove this. I can only point out malls to you.
    But Detroit does have the particular problem of having more car breakins and thefts.
    [[Side note one. I thank all of the Detroiters who over the years have placed warning
    notes on my car to not leave belongings in sight in my car while I have been in shopping/school/medical areas within Detroit). [[Side note two. My Dad the GM retiree showed me the neat
    trick of how to replace a broken car side window very easily. Of course he makes it look easy).
    So what I would do for Detroit instead of tickets are VOLUNTARY visitor contributions
    specifically for breakins, thefts, and petty issues that would bother visitors. I would have
    the businesses and visitors themselves be participants. So within the business there would
    be some little kiosk where for five dollars you could enter a raffle to win a used bait car after it has been used a few times in that business district. For another five dollars you would get a ten dollar coupon for a future purchase [[maybe anywhere in the area?) [[more foot traffic DISCOURAGES crime). If the VOLUNTARY visitor contribution requests are placed on
    windshields instead, I would have some way that, if and when you make your contribution,
    you are asked to report any immediate problems in that area, or receive notifications of
    immediate problems in that area. For comparison there are notices on doors in public
    restrooms showing checks of the restrooms as well as who to contact if there is any
    problem.

I actually like the voluntary idea. My poor sweety got a ticket while doing jury duty. Paid for parking and the bozos put his car in the street. he got a ticket. Actually too funny. Civic duty aside, that was insult on injury. Paid that ticket too.

I really do remember when a a nickel did pay for an hour at a meter. God I am getting old.

As to restrooms, gross stuff. People don't seem to have common decency.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yeah, right. Thanx for the yucks.

I am sorry, but why is that funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think that both city folks and suburbanites [[like myself) find your comments appalling...

I don't know which is redder.... the look on Sumas's face when she got the ticket... or the back of your neck!
    Always love your posts. Keep me laughing.

thoro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Always love your posts. Keep me laughing.
    Like minds have come together.
    Or rather, two heads with less than one thought between them.

Although I live in a "backwards cornfield community," we have old fashioned meters in some parts of town that cost a nickel for 12 minutes or a quarter for an hour of parking. In other parts of town we have smart meters that are somewhat more expensive, but the station where you pay the meters is solar powered, and if you have a smart phone will alert you if your meter is about to expire. You can simply add more time to your meter via your cell phone and you're good to go. I would assume that Detroit has a similar system in place. Am I correct? I only shop in the areas that have old meters because I don't enjoy standing in line at a kiosk that has a line of people trying to figure out how it works. When I'm downtown, I'm usually just running into a business to grab some quick carry out or grab a few quick items from a store. Doesn't the D have this type of system? Cornfield type guy..........

Attachment 24909 I always thought this was a good way to get people to feel comfortable utilizing a shopping, food area. My son was at an area restaurant a few years back in Colorado. It took a bit longer to get their food at a restaurant and they were a few minutes late returning to their vehicle. They found this on their windshield. He conveyed to me that it gave him a good feeling about the community. If you didn't plug the meter after about 15 minutes, they would issue a ticket.

$45 sucks but it's lower than most cities.

That's true. I think the adaptation from the long-standing $20 [[$10 if you paid withing 10 days) past rate is what was initially unsettling. Now when I see a meter I think $45 mula and go find a lot or leave and do my business or dining elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    $45 sucks but it's lower than most cities.

Like minds have come together.
    Or rather, two heads with less than one thought between them.
    What a lame comment. If you had a brain in your head it would be lonesome. Really now, 27 posts and you try to be insulting. I truly enjoy witty re-posts and you sure don't qualify.
    Last edited by sumas; November-12-14 at 03:55 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast