Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help me ID this Downtown building...

I was shooting this pic at the corner of Fort and Shelby...

Name:  475-2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  35.1 KB

... then I photographed these buildings, which sit beside the Penobscot. I guess I'm photographing the back of the buildings, seeing as I was standing on Shelby. Can anyone name/identify these towers? [[Django, Lowell, Gannon?) I think Gannon saw me wandering around taking these snaps:

Name:  508.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  49.9 KB

First image [[l to r) Federal Courthouse, Westin Book Cadillac Hotel and Old Federal Reserve Building.

Second image [[l to r) Rising above the People's State Bank Building are the twin wings of the Penobscot Annex and the Buhl Building.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-10-14 at 07:00 AM.

Gistok, thanks!

That Penobscot Annex is actually the second of the 3 now-connected Penobscot buildings. It was opened in 1916 and fronts onto Congress. Just to the left of the view you shot, facing Fort St., is the original Penobscot Building of 1903. And, of course, facing Griswold is the famous Penobscot Building tower from 1928.

Yow~ Detroit knowledge requires history knowledge!