Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help me remember an Irish Pub. Circa 1981-82. Cadillac Square Bldg I think...

A long long time ago, I used to play darts in a league. My "home bar" was Cowley's in downtown Farmington.

We played matches both home and away.

One of the away bars was located in Detroit. It was on the first floor [[down a few steps) of a large building...I THINK in Grand Circus Park.

The restrooms were a long haul from the bar, but the place when in it's heyday must have been pretty spectacular, as the fixtures in the bathroom were large and gaudy. I remember passing Ping-Pong tables and a kitchen on the way to the Mens room. Giant shoe-shine chair in the vestibule to the men's room.

Ring any bells with anyone? I think I would remember the name if I heard it.

Would have Irish entertainment occasionally on weekends. I remember one acoustic guitarist singing pro-IRA songs. Obviously had dart boards and Guinness.

Anyone?
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; November-07-14 at 02:12 PM.

It sounds like it may have been Charlie Taylor's bar, which was in the Tuller and had a Harp on the outside of it.

Ahhh...I think you've got it.

Now...Did it have another name?

TUS

Oh crap.

Might it have been called "The Golden Harp"?

Yup. Saw pictures of the Tuller. That was it.

Been gone for nearly 25 years now. Damn.

Thanks DP. I enjoyed that bldg. during it's last few years.

C
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; November-07-14 at 02:12 PM.

I remember the pub, can't recall the name offhand. It was a last name, like Dooley's or Donovan's, something like that. Neither of those is right, though. I;ll be back if my memory will work. I used to work in the First National Bldg and that pub was there in the 60s.

OK, I'm back, I bet you are thinking of Charlie Shannon's, around the corner from the one I am thinking of, it was in the old Greyhound station, 130 East Congress.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-07-14 at 02:19 PM.