Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Brooks Patterson whining about Detroit luring business from Oakland County

Last edited by jt1; November-05-14 at 09:06 PM.

Lol I'm sorry but this is funny lol

What's funny is the people that are backing him without realizing the history of Oakland County's growth.

Perhaps the guy is just getting too old and senile. Perhaps be can't remember anything since his last glass of wine and painkiller cocktail so he forgot all the businesses he poached

Magnanimity, gentlemen. Magnanimity.

[[By "gentlemen," I'm referring to Patterson and Gilbert.)
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-05-14 at 10:09 PM.

lolol this is pretty funny. While I agree it would be great to get jobs to move here from other regions, it is still the best thing to get these major corporations back into our city center. Reverse the sprawl, continue Greater downtown's resurgence, and good things will happen city & region-wide.

I'm fine with him doing his damndest to keep employers in Oakland County. That's his job.

But instead of doing his bit he's got to lash out at Gilbert for doing a better job at it. Frickin' sour grapes. LBP poached companies to Oakland County and now turnabout's fair play.

And how come he isn't busting his pearly white ass getting people jobs from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and wherever else he deems is ripe for the picking?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm fine with him doing his damndest to keep employers in Oakland County. That's his job.

But instead of doing his bit he's got to lash out at Gilbert for doing a better job at it. Frickin' sour grapes. LBP poached companies to Oakland County and now turnabout's fair play.

And how come he isn't busting his pearly white ass getting people jobs from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and wherever else he deems is ripe for the picking?
    i wish someone would've asked him this. spot on.

Minus the epithet, very good question. If Oakland County is so competitive and such a great place to be in its own right, then it should be able to lure those jobs more easily than Detroit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Minus the epithet, very good question. If Oakland County is so competitive and such a great place to be in its own right, then it should be able to lure those jobs more easily than Detroit, right?
    I believe it was Snoop Dogg who said, "The game is to be sold, not to be told"

Oakland County is growing jobs, and obviously is eating Detroit's lunch. The subsidized job increases downtown are a tiny fraction of regional job gains, and irrelevent in the big picture.

Patterson is complaining about taxpayer subsidized job transfers, where suburbanies are taxed to force companies to move downtown in a game of regional musical chairs. No net economic growth, and increased costs for families and businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Oakland County is growing jobs, and obviously is eating Detroit's lunch. The subsidized job increases downtown are a tiny fraction of regional job gains, and irrelevent in the big picture.

Patterson is complaining about taxpayer subsidized job transfers, where suburbanies are taxed to force companies to move downtown in a game of regional musical chairs. No net economic growth, and increased costs for families and businesses.
    Yeah, sure.

He's obviously worried about this trend or he wouldn't have bothered to mention it. He specifically complained that Detroit is poaching from the suburbs, and not neighboring states. That raises the legitimate question of why Oakland County doesn't/hasn't done the same thing.
    Last edited by iheartthed; November-06-14 at 10:09 AM.

If it's so irrelevant then why is Brooksie bitching and moaning about it to anyone who'll listen?

Are you really saying Brooks doesn't game tax payer subsidies to lure business to OC. Jesus christ man, you're just ridiculous. OC owes its entire existence to taxpayer subsidized sprawl. Besides, he called out DAN GILBERT for luring business, especially tech and financial jobs out of OC. He didn't level his criticism at City or County government.

Brooks is bitching about Detroit engaging in the same poaching OC has for the last generation.

It's the very definition of hypocrisy. And it's actually pretty fucking hysterical to watch Brooks panic like this.
    Last edited by bailey; November-06-14 at 08:41 AM.

So Patterson doing it = economic development and an unrivaled economic environment... but Detroit does it and it's poaching? Brooks claims Oakland County is the best place ever in the history of ever, yet has to whine about someone poaching his precious jobs? Why doesn't he say "We'll do everything we can to be a BETTER environment than anywhere else in the state of Michigan" instead of saying "Waahh, wah wah!! The Big Bad City took some of our jobs! That's mean guys!!"?

Because nobody in the rest of the Midwest knows where Oakland County is, or even gives a rats ass.

They *do* know DETROIT, however.

A quick look at OCs top 25 employers and [[taking out government employers), looks like they are either healthcare or primarily poached or based elsewhere.

1. Beaumont Health System
    2. Chrysler Group LLC - Poached from Highland Park
    3. General Motors Co. – Based in Detroit
    4. CHE Trinity Health C
    5. St. John Providence Health System
    8. Henry Ford Health System
    9. Flagstar Bancorp Inc. – Oakland County
    10. Botsford Health Care
    12. Comerica Bank – Founded in Detroit
    13. Detroit Medical Center D – Based in Detroit
    14. Lear Corp. - Poached
    15. Crittenton Hospital Medical Center
    17. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
    20. Delphi Automotive plc - Poached
    21. Comau Inc. – Part of Chrysler [[I believe) which was poached
    22. Kelly Services Inc.- Started in Detroit
    24. Faurecia North America

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    A quick look at OCs top 25 employers and [[taking out government employers), looks like they are either healthcare or primarily poached or based elsewhere.

1. Beaumont Health System
    2. Chrysler Group LLC - Poached from Highland Park
    3. General Motors Co. – Based in Detroit
    4. CHE Trinity Health C
    5. St. John Providence Health System
    8. Henry Ford Health System
    9. Flagstar Bancorp Inc. – Oakland County
    10. Botsford Health Care
    12. Comerica Bank – Founded in Detroit
    13. Detroit Medical Center D – Based in Detroit
    14. Lear Corp. - Poached
    15. Crittenton Hospital Medical Center
    17. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
    20. Delphi Automotive plc - Poached
    21. Comau Inc. – Part of Chrysler [[I believe) which was poached
    22. Kelly Services Inc.- Started in Detroit
    24. Faurecia North America
    I would like to see this as an op-ed in the Freep.

Good luck with that...

Would need a little more checking. This was my copy, paste and quick comment so some info may be a bit off [[I don't think so but I can't guarantee it).

What's frustrating is the local press allows his rhetoric to continue without calling him out on it.

I didn't realize there were vineyards in Oakland County.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I didn't realize there were vineyards in Oakland County.
    Vineyards in Oakland would be a dream for LBP; the old boozehound could have locally produced wine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Vineyards in Oakland would be a dream for LBP; the old boozehound could have locally produced wine.
    I could swear he did something like that in the past. I seem to remember he had a wine with his label on it at some point. I think it was a charity thing or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    the old boozehound could have locally produced wine.
    Instead we all get locally-produced whine.

he'll probably be reelected again next time.

The shoe was on the other foot for the past 40 years.

Why does anyone care what he says?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast