Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where's my recycling bin?!

When the garbage services were privatized in April, City of Detroit residents were told that they'd eventually get the recycle bins just like those who lived in the pilot area. Well, it's November, and nobody on my block has received them yet. This sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    When the garbage services were privatized in April, City of Detroit residents were told that they'd eventually get the recycle bins just like those who lived in the pilot area. Well, it's November, and nobody on my block has received them yet. This sucks!
    I could be mistaken, but I was told we would only receive recycling services if we paid the contractors $25 for a bin...

There is a one-time fee of $25 to get the bin, but regardless of that they still haven't started the program.

I've been on the "call me when I can get that" list [[with Rizzo) since July. I called in October just to check if they'd started and not called me for my $25: "the city has not yet authorized delivery of the carts."

Bad timing. I had an extra one I could have given you, but I threw it out in the trash last week.

Just ordered ours, there's a form on Advanced Disposal's website, one time fee of $25.

^^Throwing a recycling bin in the trash? Something's not right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Bad timing. I had an extra one I could have given you, but I threw it out in the trash last week.
    Which raises the question: If you're supposed to dispose of a trash can in a larger trash can, how are you supposed to dispose of the largest trash can?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Which raises the question: If you're supposed to dispose of a trash can in a larger trash can, how are you supposed to dispose of the largest trash can?
    Dumpster!!!

My recycling can arrived yesterday.

Rizzo never called to tell me they were available -- one of my neighbors got one, so I called them. They referred me to their website to pay the $25: https://www.rizzoservices.com/Payments/CartPayment.asp

It showed up about a week later.

Let's see whether Advance also provides them.

We got ours about a month ago. Every two weeks pick up. Still have to paint our address on it. The bin quality sucks but at least it is recycled material. Totally amazed at just how much we can recylce. I did dog Rizzo about getting our bin.

Last week our block was totally missed. We all left our containers out which made us look so street. Its cold, we all be old. Rizzo said they would be back for pick up. Never happened.

In Rochester Hills we have Republic Services. They missed our recycling pickup for the whole neighborhood one trash day. One call to Republic and they had it all picked up the next day.

It takes time. My daughter and her husband live on Avery in the Woodbridge neighborhood [[around Warren and Trumbull) and they just got their bin a couple of weeks ago--that is early January 2015. I guess we have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Last week our block was totally missed. We all left our containers out which made us look so street. Its cold, we all be old. Rizzo said they would be back for pick up. Never happened.
    I thought it was interesting that they privatized the one service I'd never had a problem with. For there to be any problems with the new service is troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakelover View Post
    It takes time. My daughter and her husband live on Avery in the Woodbridge neighborhood [[around Warren and Trumbull) and they just got their bin a couple of weeks ago--that is early January 2015. I guess we have to be patient.
    We have friends on Avery. They bought on that old $1 dollar auction in the 70.s. Totally restored the home. Some things do work.
    Last edited by sumas; January-22-15 at 04:17 PM.