Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Weekend Freeway Closures/Detours

Should be fun.

Shutdowns set for I-696, I-96

BY MATT HELMS • FREE PRESS DRIVING COLUMNIST • July 31, 2009

Two major metro Detroit freeways will see complete shutdowns this weekend, starting tonight.

West I-696 will close between I-94 and Gratiot in Macomb County from around 9 tonight to 5 a.m. Saturday for ongoing bridge work. The eastbound side in that stretch will go down to one lane from 9 tonight to 3 p.m. Saturday.

I-696 also will lose its two left lanes each way between I-75 and Telegraph in Oakland County for bridge work from 9 tonight to 5 a.m. Monday, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation.

Meanwhile, I-96 will close between Schaefer and Livernois in Detroit for bridge demolition, kicking off a $16-million project to fix 10 bridges between Davison and Livernois. The posted detour is Grand River Avenue during the shutdown from 9 tonight to 5 a.m. Monday.

And starting at 5 a.m. Monday, I-96 in Detroit will lose its left lane each way between Wyoming and Livernois through late November. Grand River over the freeway will be reduced to one lane each way with a center turn lane.

Meanwhile, I-96 in Oakland County will lose one eastbound lane between Beck and Novi roads from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.

Elsewhere:

• North I-75 will go down to one lane between 12 Mile and 14 Mile roads for maintenance from 9 tonight to 4 p.m. Saturday.

• South I-75’s entrance and exit ramps at Mack Avenue in Detroit and the north I-75 exit ramp to Warren Avenue will be closed for resurfacing work from 6 a.m. Saturday to 9 p.m. Sunday.

• The southbound Southfield Freeway ramp to east Michigan Avenue in Dearborn will close today through Aug. 10 for bridge and pavement repair.

The east 8 Mile ramp to south I-275 will close for about a month starting at 5 a.m. Monday for the addition of another lane for that turning movement. Traffic will be redirected to access the southbound freeway from 7 Mile Road.

North I-75’s right lane will close from South Huron River Drive to Gibraltar Road from 7 a.m. Monday to 5 p.m. Friday.

Just got caught on the I-96 at the Livernois closure. Grand River was not fun, all the way to Schaefer.