Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sorry folks! Another Worst La Nina Winter coming to Metro-Detroit!

Last Summer a La Nina summer in Metro-Detroit Area resulted in less 90 degree temperatures. Cooler days and more rainfall that led to historic flooding in August.

This year Winter in Michigan and rest of Metro-Detroit will be worst than last year. There will be another La Nina effect that will result in colder temperatures due to Polar Vortex and more snow that will reach about a foot to two feet in some areas.

In November: There will be more chances for snow showers and colder temps. Follow by brief semi-cool warm ups in between that will last to mid-December.

In December: after a semi-cool temperatures end, before Winter Solstice, there will more snow shower chances. One winter weather advisory and a chance of winter storm watch by late December. More below normal frigid temps. A White Christmas may come early.

In January: The January thaw will be delayed until later part of the month. The Polar Vortex will leave the North Pole and creep down the Great Lakes area at least two times every three weeks. It will bring a record dangerous arctic chill to all of Michigan and Metro-Detroit. There will a chance for a Blizzard Warning by mid to late January. A Winter Storm Warning, a winter weather advisory. Every three weeks until Late February.

In February: More below freezing temps followed by the Polar Vortex followed by Blizzard Warning, A Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisory. Then a slow semi-cool warm-up will come.

In March We're not done with La Lina Winter yet. Fewer show showers followed by cool rain and possibly one last hurrah from a winter storm watch. By late March temperatures will warm up quickly.

Get your snow blowers and shovels and salt trucks ready, folks. This Winter is not going to look pretty.

I wish they would quit making up bullshit science terms like "polar vortex". Weather patterns in winter are predictable. Here's my forecast:

It's going to get gradually colder, with winds frequently out of the north. It may snow, sometimes heavily. There will be a few periods where it will get really cold.

Happens every year folks. The media needs to quit panicking people.

Waiting for all the local news to jump on the wagon.
    Know I nee to get t.p and aer stoked up!

I want to know the source of the above prognostication by Danny. It's easy enough to make shit up.

I'd like to see a source too... I just saw an article about weather predictions:
    No One Can Tell You How Much Snow We’ll Get This Winter — At Least Not Yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I wish they would quit making up bullshit science terms like "polar vortex". Weather patterns in winter are predictable. Here's my forecast:

It's going to get gradually colder, with winds frequently out of the north. It may snow, sometimes heavily. There will be a few periods where it will get really cold.

Happens every year folks. The media needs to quit panicking people.
    It's not a made up term though... it's what that particular swirling low pressure system is called. Its always there, the term gained popularity last year because it moved so far south and stuck around for so long causing extreme cold that we don't normally see here. It is a "event", an outlier...what you described is "winter". It's not normally colder in Michigan in winter than in the Arctic. Should we stop calling Hurricanes anything but a thunderstorm?
    Last edited by bailey; November-04-14 at 12:12 PM.

I always liked Al Sleet the hippy dippy weatherman [[George Carlin). Always right. "Tonight's forecast...Dark".

Last winter we broke the record for snow fall. Rider's prediction is less snow then last winter. A new snow record two years in a row? I doubt it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought La Nina meant warmer winters, not colder.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I always liked Al Sleet the hippy dippy weatherman [[George Carlin). Always right. "Tonight's forecast...Dark".
    "With scattered patches of light toward morning"

There is NO La Nina... and currently no El Nino... but one may form this winter...

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...annel-20141015

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I want to know the source of the above prognostication by Danny. It's easy enough to make shit up.

From NOAA and El Dorado World temperature Map. I have been observing both atmospheric and oceanic weather patterns for years. So far La Nina hasn't budging from the South Pacific Ocean south of the equator and off the coast of South America. During the Summer, there were more hurricanes off the coast of the Mexico. One struck the Baha. The other 4 struck Hawaii. There were less hurricanes formations from Cape Verde near Tropical Rain Forest Coasts of Africa. a couple was further away from U.S. and gulf of Mexico coasts. One struck Bermuda. The Saline Gulf Stream Currents has been reducing 10 percent. This is due more freshwater icebergs floating out from Greenland's glacier coasts. Man Made Global Warming contribute to the rise of carbon dioxide levels and other industrial pollutants. A rise of Global Warming could lead to rise of Global cooling. It's happening right now. This is just the preview for a coming ice age that will last over a million years.

sorry, all the local stations already said, it wil be a miled winter around here

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There is NO La Nina... and currently no El Nino... but one may form this winter...

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...annel-20141015

You're not looking at the source from the Weather Channel carefully. They reported No El-Nino conditions during last seasons. La-Nina along with years of industrial Global Warming contribute cause the Greenland Block that brought down The Polar Vortex and made the Jet Steam dip further to southern U.S. It's going a repeat performance this winter. Right now the will be earlier snow showers in Great Lakes and northeast Maine and a possible cooler Nor-eastern sweeping across New England. Start digging out the snow folks!

"The January thaw..."

Huh?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It's not a made up term though... it's what that particular swirling low pressure system is called. Its always there, the term gained popularity last year because it moved so far south and stuck around for so long causing extreme cold that we don't normally see here. It is a "event", an outlier...what you described is "winter". It's not normally colder in Michigan in winter than in the Arctic. Should we stop calling Hurricanes anything but a thunderstorm?
    That's funny. I always thought it was a low pressure system.

I'm sick of TV "weather" personalities sending everyone down to the basement every time there is a tornado sighted by a "spotter" in the sticks 75 miles away. And all the supermarket panic every time there is another "vortex". People have become soft.

NOAA says they don't know
    What does winter El Nino 2014 have in store for us? The experts at NOAA weigh in.It’s been a confusing couple of weeks trying to figure out whether or not El Nińo 2014 is going to come to a fluffy white head this winter. Early in the summer the forecast looked extra promising, with an 80 percent chance of an El Nińo for the US this winter. As summer progressed though, weather authority NOAA announced a dwindling chance of an El Nińo, as well as the possibility of having a weaker El Nińo, which could mean less snow for some areas than expected.
    On September 4, NOAA dropped it’s freshest update on how El Nińo is shaping up for the US. It says there’s still a 60–65 percent chance of an El Nińo happening this winter, which would normally mean more storms for the southern half of the US, especially the Southern Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada. But the way things are shaping up, forecasters are now calling for the peak of the event to be weaker than average, meaning there won’t necessarily be more snow. In the past the relationship between above-average precipitation and El Nińo has been less predictable during a weaker event, with “approximately one-third of the [[weak) events featuring above-average precipitation, one-third near-average precipitation, and one-third below-average precipitation,” according to NOAA.
    So what does this mean? Right now, the chances of El Nińo bringing more snow to our coldest regions, and more precipitation to California, are still totally up in the air. Any El Nińo event brings the potential for much needed precipitation across large parts of the US, but the weaker the event gets the more unpredictable it becomes, leaving us anxiously awaiting the next NOAA forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    The source is Danny, that's all I need to see.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    sorry, all the local stations already said, it wil be a miled winter around here

No, La Nina has been hanging around in the South Pacific for a while. It's not budging therefore a colder winter is ahead for the Northeast and Great Lakes part of the U.S. While record warmth temps will happen in the SW part of the United States. The Pacific Northwest will see more gloomy wet days ahead. It's already happening in Seattle, WA.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...cold/18506959/

Looks like a normal winter for us. Not sure where the colder temp predictions are coming from.

If you've lived here for more than a decade, I'd say you should be used to whatever winter throws at us, whether it be 100 inches of snow or 30. It amazes me that every year, people completely forget how to drive when the first snow hits and they bitch about it being 24 degrees out in February. It's Michigan. By living here you're basically signing up for the most unpredictable weather around. Deal with it.

Hello Please Stop Talking About This Stupid Crap. I am super duper tired of everyone whining about winter, the winter will be fine, we will survive. It'll be worse than last year but better than last year. It will also La Nina the El Nino into the Polar Vortex while something something something.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...cold/18506959/

Looks like a normal winter for us. Not sure where the colder temp predictions are coming from.

If you've lived here for more than a decade, I'd say you should be used to whatever winter throws at us, whether it be 100 inches of snow or 30. It amazes me that every year, people completely forget how to drive when the first snow hits and they bitch about it being 24 degrees out in February. It's Michigan. By living here you're basically signing up for the most unpredictable weather around. Deal with it.

La Nina is still hanging at the
    South Pacific Ocean. Therefore its not going to be a normal winter. Wait til the colder than normal temperatures come after the brief cool warm up in December. Than the snow showers and digging begins.

I acquired 3 additional snow blowers in the spring from folks defecting for Florida. I just have to get some salt, & I'll be all set regardless of how much snow we get.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I acquired 3 additional snow blowers in the spring from folks defecting for Florida. I just have to get some salt, & I'll be all set regardless of how much snow we get.
    Be ready for sicker shock, salt is up 200 percent over last year's prices. Yet another blow to maintaining roads.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Be ready for sicker shock, salt is up 200 percent over last year's prices. Yet another blow to maintaining roads.
    so are people encouraged to start saving those tiny packets of salt that are given away with typical coney island carry-outs, that almost no one really uses?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast