Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Revisiting hamburgers of Detroit

My very favorite all time burger was at Verne's on Forest at WSU. Yum! The restaurant was a dark beamed Teutonic wonder with a huge natural fireplace in the center. Heavy dark tables and chairs added to the atmosphere. They brought your cooked to order burger in its hefty sesame bun to the table on a sheet of waxed paper, and gave you a tray of condiments, onions and pickles to lavish over the meat as you pleased. I sure miss Verne's.

Today I met a friend at the Circa 90 on Cass. I haven't been there in years. I was happily surprised by the wonderful 1/3 pound hamburger. Everything was just right. The onions, pickles and tomato were on the plate to be added as desired, and the condiments were on the table, regular mustard and catsup. Not quite a Verne-burger, but a great burger all the same. It is my new Detroit favorite burger.

Mott's or Tower. Homes of genuine sliders. There used to be a place out near the 4th Precinct.

the bronx bar sure makes a mean burger...something about the bread...

Best burgers in Detroit reside in Corktown, at Casey's and Nemo's.

I still stand by the Detroiter Special at the Detroiter Bar. Big juicy burger topped with american and swiss cheese, ham, lettuce, onions, mayo, and mustard [[and I think bacon) all on a big bun. And it comes with a beer. This month long getting in shape and eating healthy kick I have been on has got me hardcore jonesing for a Detroiter Burger!!

The burger at the Normandie Cafe by the GM building with swiss cheese and Diamond Jim Brady's in northwest Detroit, maybe on Seven Mile. Sadly both are now closed in there original locations.

I remember Verne's quite well. It was about 1983 when I'd go there with co-workers.
    That place was so dark on the inside that it would take your eyes quite a while to get adjusted.

It was really dark in Verne's, part of the mystique, I think. When the door opened, we'd see this bright light from outside and feel like bats blinking in the light.

Now I have a whole list of burgers to try. Let the competition begin! For my part, I don't like a humongous burger, 1/3 pound is about right, not too thick, cooked medium, with a nice fresh sesame bun. I tend to stick with mustard, pickles and onions to dress my burgers.

Just on the border of Detroit is a bar called Irish Coffee in GP, on Mack. Best burger and atmosphere I have been to in the area. And not many people know about the place, unless you live in the surrounding area. It has the dark wood panelling and relaxed vibe.
    Last edited by Patrick; August-01-09 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Verne's was a great burger and beer joint...but I have never found a burger to equal the Normandie Bar...Thick, crusty char on the outside, cooked to order by Ronnie on the night shift [[who one year slowly morphed into Renee!) served by old school waitresses with nicknames, like Tinsel, and BTMary behing the bar...great memories. Seeing "stars" from the Fisher Theatre wander in and the madcap guys from Campbell Ewald and GM exec's letting their hair and other things down after work. Best Bleu cheese dressing...only Sinbad's dressing comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The burger at the Normandie Cafe by the GM building with swiss cheese and Diamond Jim Brady's in northwest Detroit, maybe on Seven Mile. Sadly both are now closed in there original locations.
    Diamond Jim Brady's was fantastic, none of their suburban locations was nearly as good for some reason.

Vernes was a great bar, populated by Wayne St. students and New Center employees. Hamburger was first-rate. Diamond Jim Brady's was as close to TV's Cheers as any bar I've ever frequented. Matt and Pat really did know your name. Brady's had great chili, too, cooked daily by Annie. I miss both establishments.

Where was Verne's? Is the building still there?

Verne's: Forest just west of Woodward. Building is gone. Some great bluegrass on the week-ends.

Yes, it went the same time as the Vernor's plant. Now WDET's broadcast tower is there.

I agree that Irish Coffee has a very good 'burger.
    Looking forward to trying the Bronx very soon. Loved that place many years ago.
    Will be going next weekend, with what remains of my third pay check!
    I hope that Charlene is still behind the bar, dispensing warm and fuzzy vibes.

eg: Hey, Charlene, how's your day?
    "Miserable, why should today be any different?"

I concur with Raptor, the Detroiter is one fantastic burger. The last few years during Autorama weekend myself and several members of my car club frequent the Detroiter 2-3 of the four days we're in town. I've taken numerous people there while visiting Detroit, and everyone has loved it.

that was me-okeefenokee bluegrass band-played there about a year-then moved onto the circa

bartock Guest

If we go outside city limits I'm loyal to the Redcoat, but inside put another vote in for the Detroiter.

Irish Coffee. Hands down.

Also - Wimpy's has/had a good burger........ but it's been years since that time. Not sure if it's still there.

I'll second Casey's for a good burger. When sis comes to town she always has to go to Miller's though I never thought they were much to write home about.

Default hamburger joint

There used to be a hamburger place on the corner of Vernor and Dragoon next to Boyer Playfield. Seems to me like it was a white place, kinda like White Castle. Does any remember the name of it?

9mile&seneca Guest

Anybody remember Nelson's at Coolidge and 9Mile?

Checkers Bar and Grill downtown has excellent burgers

It's a new addition to Detroit's vast bar & burger landscape, but the burgers & sliders at AFB on Park at Henry are MAD good... and they aren't afraid to say it like it is there, so be prepared for an experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast