Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Good news for Mt. Elliot Corridor

I don't know how far $600,000 will go but, good news overall.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...utm_medium=RSS

Geez, could they fit any more ads into that web page? Anyway, the $600K seems to be just to make a plan; basically pay people to do studies and assessments on what needs to be done before anything is actually done. I would think it would cost a whole lot more to improve that area.

that's basically Mt Elliot from the Poletown plant to 8 mile, $600K wouldn't do much "infrastructure" work, but that road wouldn't stand up to much heavy truck traffic. Lots of fairly decent small industrial buildings, though

Nice to see the Washington Times scooping the local papers. [[sarcasm) Actually, it's an Associated Press story. Did the News or Freep cover this?

Pretty embarrassing to be scooped by the moonies

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Nice to see the Washington Times scooping the local papers. [[sarcasm) Actually, it's an Associated Press story. Did the News or Freep cover this?
    I heard this yesterday on both WJR and WWJ.

I used to work just south of Mt. Elliot Tool & Die on Sherwood for about a year. Hopefully they use some of that $600K to knock down abandoned industrial buildings along the way, maybe get some of the red lights working. The roads are complete shit because of the heavy truck traffic, so I doubt $600K is going to go far on that. I'm curious to see what improvements they are planning on for the area.

I said goodbye to that area after the 4th car in 6 months was stolen out of our gated razorwire lot. They just bulldozed the fence each time. Unreal....

... just what all type of small scale manufacturing is taking place there?

I worked for 16 years at 17272 Mt. Elliott, just north of 6 mile, at Schwartz Boring Company, Inc. Best years of my working life. The shop is now closed but the building remains. It's a Muslim academy of some sort, at least that's what it was going to be in 2003, when we sold the building. Not much industry left in that area anymore. Not sure what's there to rebuild or resurrect. There was Schwartz Boring, Hope Tool, Superior Heat Treat, Durako Paint, Wa-Kay Industries, Kopecki Mattress Co., Fitzsimmons Corp., Gem Plating and many more. They're all gone now. Just scrap metal yards, maybe Greening Ind. & Gallagher Kaiser are still there. Maybe Perch Machine & Detroit Flame Hardening as well.

Still, if you're in the area, be sure get a Marcus Burger at 6 mile & Mt. Elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    I worked for 16 years at 17272 Mt. Elliott, just north of 6 mile, at Schwartz Boring Company, Inc. Best years of my working life. The shop is now closed but the building remains. It's a Muslim academy of some sort, at least that's what it was going to be in 2003, when we sold the building. Not much industry left in that area anymore. Not sure what's there to rebuild or resurrect. There was Schwartz Boring, Hope Tool, Superior Heat Treat, Durako Paint, Wa-Kay Industries, Kopecki Mattress Co., Fitzsimmons Corp., Gem Plating and many more. They're all gone now. Just scrap metal yards, maybe Greening Ind. & Gallagher Kaiser are still there. Maybe Perch Machine & Detroit Flame Hardening as well.

Still, if you're in the area, be sure get a Marcus Burger at 6 mile & Mt. Elliott.
    The most unique burger in town.

what's the big deal about the hamburgers from that place?

Lite-Industrial Size?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what's the big deal about the hamburgers from that place?
    The burgers themselves are no big deal, and they certainly aren't "fusion food". Marcus bakes one huge flat burger on a cookie sheet, then cuts them to size as ordered, and serves them in a hot dog bun. Besides the famous "Marcus Burger", there are daily "specials" you can order. The restaurant, clientele, and atmosphere, are key. It ain't Midtown's Bernstein Bars or BWW's. It is a blast from the past. You should check it out before they go under, get scrapped, and have GASM painted on the side.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-04-14 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The burgers themselves are no big deal, and they certainly aren't "fusion food". Marcus bakes one huge flat burger on a cookie sheet, then cuts them to size as ordered, and serves them in a hot dog bun. Besides the famous "Marcus Burger", there are daily "specials" you can order. The restaurant, clientele, and atmosphere, are key. It ain't Midtown's Bernstein Bars or BWW's.
    So are they good?

Yeah, they're good. Marcus does add "secret ingredients" to the burger mix. And one of the waitresses does have the fully required amount of Marcus Burger "bling" on her vest. You seem adventurous, check it out. It's an old school diner in a now defunct industrial section.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I used to work just south of Mt. Elliot Tool & Die on Sherwood for about a year. Hopefully they use some of that $600K to knock down abandoned industrial buildings along the way, maybe get some of the red lights working. The roads are complete shit because of the heavy truck traffic, so I doubt $600K is going to go far on that. I'm curious to see what improvements they are planning on for the area.

I said goodbye to that area after the 4th car in 6 months was stolen out of our gated razorwire lot. They just bulldozed the fence each time. Unreal....
    Typically the feds require a 20 percent match. That makes it $750k. You're right though, it is not much money.