Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bye Bye U of M Athletic Director Brandon

Brandon resignation to be announced

Mark Schlissel presser 1:30

Not knowing U of M stuff very well, I was confused.

For those of you needing more info like me, University of Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon is rumored to resign.

Here's the news article: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...don_to_re.html

Not being a Wolverine I still saw a guy who came into the place and make it look bush league. Raising prices on student tickets? Fireworks over the stadium? Sky writing? Odd promotions with Coca Cola? Releasing press releases at 1:00AM after bungling a student's injury??

He made a mockery of what was once a storied franchise. It's going to take years for UofM to recover from his mismanagement of the football program. He is to the university what Matt Millen was to the Lions- a horrible foppish blemish.

I am a big fan of the enormous digital billboard outside the stadiums. Nothing says class like subjecting your neighbors to that eyesore.

UM fans rejoice and move on to the Fire Brady movement; MSU fans cry out in anguish, as maybe UM will hire someone who knows what they are doing finally.

Is he moving to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Is he moving to Detroit?
    I hear Wayne State, WC3D, and U of DM are in a bidding war to get him!

Brandon seems to have brought 'professionalism' to UofM athletics.

And if you catch my 'snarky' remark...

Show me the money... Show me more money... Show me a lot more money.

Isn't this like a corporation? Lol.

Damn I was a really big fan of him, for obvious reasons ..

MSU has taken over a FIRM grasp over as this state's football team during his tenure, i'm gonna send him a pizza to thank him

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Damn I was a really big fan of him, for obvious reasons ..

MSU has taken over a FIRM grasp over as this state's football team during his tenure, i'm gonna send him a pizza to thank him

Make sure it is not a Dominos!

Good riddance to U of M AD Bradon! It was University of Michigan's big mis STAKE! to hire him. Now get rid of Brady Joke and retool the program back its glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    UM fans rejoice and move on to the Fire Brady movement; MSU fans cry out in anguish, as maybe UM will hire someone who knows what they are doing finally.
    Dantonio is the best coach in the state and, I think, the Big 10. If michigan doesn't want a "lost generation" football-wise, they need to do something brilliant. As in coach-with-whom-an-NFL-team-has-succeeded-but-everyone-hates-anyway brilliant

All I know is carloads of cheering people are driving to AA to attend that huge party going on right now......

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Not being a Wolverine I still saw a guy who came into the place and make it look bush league. Raising prices on student tickets? Fireworks over the stadium? Sky writing? Odd promotions with Coca Cola? Releasing press releases at 1:00AM after bungling a student's injury??

He made a mockery of what was once a storied franchise. It's going to take years for UofM to recover from his mismanagement of the football program. He is to the university what Matt Millen was to the Lions- a horrible foppish blemish.
    It goes beyond the football team. $6 bottles of waters and music shows that seemed to forget the band. I would call his crime fan abuse.

3 million dollar golden parachute. What bullshit.

The payments will be spread over four years, with $700,000 coming by the end of the 2014-15 fiscal year, $950,000 in the 2015-16 fiscal year, $750,000 in 2016-17 and $600,000 in 2017-18.

He will retain a number of perks, including two Regent Emeritus seats at football, basketball and hockey games, two dealer cars for the rest of the calendar year and COBRA benefits until the end of the fiscal year in July.
    http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...igan/18256279/
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-31-14 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    It goes beyond the football team. $6 bottles of waters and music shows that seemed to forget the band. I would call his crime fan abuse.
    Oh I know. I just listed the few things that were at the tip of my tongue. He tried to turn an academic institution into a sheer money making brand as opposed to just maintaining an amazing brand. UofM folk are loyal to a fault. They buy anything with the block M, but they're not dumbasses either. They know when they were given a subpar product on the field and getting shafted with the "amenities".

Bad gimmicks does not make a good program. He needed to go and there was no way he was going to survive the sh!t storm coming his way.

...sigh... why do college athletics have to be an outright for-profit commercial enterprise? How many decades ago did this become the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    3 million dollar golden parachute. What bullshit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...igan/18256279/

I agree. This is total bullshit, he gets to quit his job and still get paid all that money with perks. He doesn't deserve it contract or not. He shouldn't even be paid a fourth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I agree. This is total bullshit, he gets to quit his job and still get paid all that money with perks. He doesn't deserve it contract or not. He shouldn't even be paid a fourth of it.
    Unfortunately, in America today failure is generously rewarded - as long as you are in the uppermost tiers of income.

Brandon may be gone, but the arrogant, delusional, impatient fans remain. The expectation that things can simply turn around quickly because "this is Michigan" is the very mindset that scares away quality coaches. Every year, Michigan fans come up with a new savior. First it was Rich Rod, then it was "Tater Tot" Forcier, Denard "Arm Punt" Robinson, then Hokemania, the Devin Gardner, then Shane Morris, then Nussmeier, and on, and on, and on.

The bottom line is the turnaround isn't going to be quick and it isn't going to be easy. And any coach with the name that Michigan fans want knows that and also knows the fans won't give him enough time to make those changes before they turn on him. That's how you ended up with Hoke in the first place.

The ONLY one who may be genuinely interested in the job is Les Miles and there are too many powerful people associated with the athletic department who won't let that happen because they don't forgive him for being the catalyst of Gary Moeller's drunken tirade that got him fired after Miles allegedly slept with Moeller's wife.

Common sense says cross off anyone named Harbaugh or Gruden from the list. Common sense says give whoever the new coach is time to develop a program ala what Dantonio has achieved at MSU. Common sense isn't very common in the UM fanbase these days.

As a Spartan, I love every second of it.

Is there an article link somewhere that tells me how this is Detroit related?

Actually, I see a lot of correlation between how people view Detroit and UofM football.

-Were once great institutions
    -Have fallen on hard times in recent years
    -Suffers greatly through modernization and reinvention plans that have been stymied by supporters obsessed with the past and bringing the institution back to that past rather than move the institution forward into a sustainable future.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Actually, I see a lot of correlation between how people view Detroit and UofM football.

-Were once great institutions
    -Have fallen on hard times in recent years
    -Suffers greatly through modernization and reinvention plans that have been stymied by supporters obsessed with the past and bringing the institution back to that past rather than move the institution forward into a sustainable future.

And much to the chagrin of Ann Arborites they are still very connected to the International Metropolis. There are lots of people who live in Ann Arbor and work in Detroit and vice-versa. U of M has a very large campus near Fairlane, which is right on the Detroit border, that everyone forgets about. U of M also has a satalite S of WSU. Finally, if you fly into Ann Arbor you fly into DTW and you will not see much rural area on you landside trip to Ann Arbor.

Article in the "Detroit" newspapers......

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...sigh... why do college athletics have to be an outright for-profit commercial enterprise? How many decades ago did this become the standard?
    Please keep in mind that major college sports [[mainly football/basketball with a few exceptions at certain schools) pay for all other non-revenue sports...as well as contribute to scholarship funds, facilities [[academic buildings/dorms), alumni/booster donations, etc. that are used by the entire student body.

Even at schools with sports programs that lose money for the athletic department itself, the student-athletes on the teams actually make money for the college/university overall through higher enrollment numbers.