Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dossin Mansion Lists for $1.2 Million with Laughable pictures

Granted, they should have tidied up a bit for the photo shoot, but look past the undies and cat, @ the detail on that house, and on the water? I don't think the price is too far out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Granted, they should have tidied up a bit for the photo shoot, but look past the undies and cat, @ the detail on that house, and on the water? I don't think the price is too far out of line.

The price might not be out of line considering, anything near water commands a premium. But the house could use some touching up. Anyone know what year it was built?

Agreed. Move it a few blocks east and it is a steal. It a lovely place with a great location. It is simply unfathomable how a realtor would show such dreadful pictures. The basement shot here even shows ponding and leakage around the tiles and moldy bar stools.

Amazing house. It would be my mini-Garwood Mansion.

I was lucky enough to check this place out a few years ago and it's very cool and has many incredible details but anyone that pays anywhere near the asking price is either delusional, high, stupid or a dangerous combo of all 3.

So a family member won at auction a "Great Gatsby" who dunnit party at this house. We arrived by boat and were able to enjoy libations in the historical once known speakeasy located in the basement of this home. The indoor boatwell was convenient for offloading rumrunners' booze in secret, and although it is not in the picture, there is an existing crane inside that well for exactly that purpose. It's a nice home. The exterior concrete has not been maintained the best, but it's in a nice gated community and would be an exceptional place to live. This house has historical significance to the prohibition period.

thoro Guest

Well, it is on water and in a gated community. Hard to believe any realtor would be so unprofessional as to take such crummy photos.....especially on a $1.2 mil listing.
    P

What a GEM.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Pretty sure this is on Grayhaven Island, not Harbor Island.

Hard to believe that any competent agent would post such listing photos. Spells trouble for any hope for a smooth closing.

The listing photos also serve as a billboard for this announcement by the sellers: "We Would Like To Sell Our Very Large Mansion. However, Please Be Advised That We Have Neglected All Of The Usual Large Maintenance Projects Required Of A House Of This Size, Age And Complexity. We Have Left That Stuff For You."

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post

Hard to believe that any competent agent would post such listing photos. Spells trouble for any hope for a smooth closing.

The listing photos also serve as a billboard for this announcement by the sellers: "We Would Like To Sell Our Very Large Mansion. However, Please Be Advised That We Have Neglected All Of The Usual Large Maintenance Projects Required Of A House Of This Size, Age And Complexity. We Have Left That Stuff For You."

Pretty much says it all doesn't it?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-01-14 at 12:08 PM.

In my experience, Realtors are, for whatever reason, disproportionately stupid.

However I think this is one of the finest homes in Detroit.

Sure there are some great Tudors and colonials and a handful of Mediterranean style homes in Palmer Woods and Indian Village, but this is truly unique with its water frontage and privacy.

I also kind of like its relatively modest size.

Honestly, for me the worst detractor would be the sea of McMansions it is swimming in. That neighborhood really is ridiculous looking. They all look like a cross between oversized apartment buildings and warehouses. The George W. era was a strange time for America.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    In my experience, Realtors are, for whatever reason, disproportionately stupid.

However I think this is one of the finest homes in Detroit.

Sure there are some great Tudors and colonials and a handful of Mediterranean style homes in Palmer Woods and Indian Village, but this is truly unique with its water frontage and privacy.

I also kind of like its relatively modest size.

Honestly, for me the worst detractor would be the sea of McMansions it is swimming in. That neighborhood really is ridiculous looking. They all look like a cross between oversized apartment buildings and warehouses. The George W. era was a strange time for America.
    Isn't there a similar home right across the street? Anyone know the architect? Seems like there is a lot of empty space around the home..wonder if there were other homes on the island [[other than the Gar Wood mansion).

IDK. Looks ok to me. Looks like a lived in home. You arent buying their ability to fold and put away clothes. I have a similar pile on my bed. Fresh out the dryer. It will wait until Im ready to turn in.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    IDK. Looks ok to me. Looks like a lived in home. You arent buying their ability to fold and put away clothes. I have a similar pile on my bed. Fresh out the dryer. It will wait until Im ready to turn in.
    Then on the chair it goes....

I guess the part you don't get is that these pictures are a total turn-off to most folks looking at buying a house. It's bad enough when you do have to rip out crap and fix a house, you don't need to subsidize a realtor whose only craft is to bring buyers to market and can't pay a pro to take shots.

For more lived-in charm, see this;

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    You are so correct. [Wiping the egg off my face.] I overlooked the address and mistook it for this white stucco beauty on Harbor Island, on your right after you cross the bridge onto the island. http://binged.it/1s4R5sz Never assume, it makes an...

With cute kitty as an added amenity!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I guess the part you don't get is that these pictures are a total turn-off to most folks looking at buying a house. It's bad enough when you do have to rip out crap and fix a house, you don't need to subsidize a realtor whose only craft is to bring buyers to market and can't pay a pro to take shots.

For more lived-in charm, see this;

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/
    Do you think the "pro" is going to put away people's gotchies and shoo the cat? I think we live in a TV influenced society where we've gotten acustomed to, even expect, to be B/S ed. I looked @ the lineup of CD photos, and saw a great old house, on the water, in a peaceful, serene, environment. I'd still rather sink my moola into that instead of a cookie cutter McMansion from an episode of Edward Scissorhand. But, to each his own.

This image was taken August 30, 2014. The house is not as bad as the poor images show.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Isn't there a similar home right across the street? Anyone know the architect? Seems like there is a lot of empty space around the home..wonder if there were other homes on the island [[other than the Gar Wood mansion).
    Patrick this is the similar house across Keelson from 450. I do not know the background of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Patrick this is the third house from the original development.

Designed by Albert Kahn. 475 Keelson Drive built in 1926 Grayhaven Island Detroit, MI.

Do you think the "pro" is going to put away people's gotchies and shoo the cat? I think we live in a TV influenced society where we've gotten acustomed to, even expect, to be B/S ed. I looked @ the lineup of CD photos, and saw a great old house, on the water, in a peaceful, serene, environment. I'd still rather sink my moola into that instead of a cookie cutter McMansion from an episode of Edward Scissorhand. But, to each his own.

Well, there is a difference btwn a realtor's effort at bringing a house to market and the sham aesthetics of TeeVeeland HT.

I like old houses, I moved into an oldie in January dated 1875. Like you, I have no stomach for McMansions or McNuggets, but I do expect an agent to know a thing or two about presentation and marketing, especially as relates to a million dollar house...

thoro Guest

Well, when you go to sell your hoopty and it's too much trouble to clean out the ashtray, wash it and when you hit the brakes beer bottles roll out from under the seats. Then, don't be too surprised when people offer 1/3 or less on your asking price. $1.2 mil properties, especially in Detroit, need some attention. Let's see, 6% of $1.2 mil is $72000 and the broker was too lazy to post some decent pics.....how unprofessional. $72,000! For shots of dirty clothes and drapes all over the place! This character had better stick to listing trailers houses.

Could be a lazy/stupid/busy realtor. Or a brilliant one.

It seems to me that the easiest way to get your listing highlighted on curbed is to make it fairly ridiculous. If the pictures were generic good pictures, I doubt I would have looked at the listing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast