Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Victory Lutheran Church

Anyone attend Victory Lutheran church on Puritan and Rutherford on the northwest side?

I am a deacon in the Michigan District of the LCMS and you've piqued my interest. I'm on the west side of Michigan but grew up on the east side of Detroit. I've checked several resources but can't find Victory Lutheran anywhere, not even in the Yellow pages.

The only reference to the church online is someone's genealogical record of confirmation at Victory Lutheran in Detroit. Any more information about the congregation? What is the congregation's synodical affiliation?

I went to Victory back in the 1960's I know the church is still there but I don't what denomination it is now. It was a wonderful church back then. I have very fond memories of Victory.

Default If anyone is still reading this two years later

My Dad was the Rev. Harold Billnitzer at Victory Lutheran in the 1960s - early 1970s. Victory was in the ALC synod at that time, under Bishop Bob Weitelman. From the pics I see on Google Maps, the church building looks almost exactly like it did in the 1960s, although I think the playground on the side is new since then. The church also had a roster of eight vicar / interns during those years [[1963-1971). No idea what the church's status is these days.

Hello, I reconize the name! I remember, my older brothers played on the Victory baseball team in the sixties. That old Mel Ott league. I went to vacation Bible school in the summer and I just loved that church. It is great to hear from you. I grew up on St. Marys near outer drive. I have very fond memories of that neighborhood.

I just did a Google streetview, the sign says it is now "Lighthouse Cathedral". It appears to be in good shape. Maybe the new congregation has a web site.

Default Victory Lutheran Church

Quote Originally Posted by dnitzer View Post
    My Dad was the Rev. Harold Billnitzer at Victory Lutheran in the 1960s - early 1970s. Victory was in the ALC synod at that time, under Bishop Bob Weitelman. From the pics I see on Google Maps, the church building looks almost exactly like it did in the 1960s, although I think the playground on the side is new since then. The church also had a roster of eight vicar / interns during those years [[1963-1971). No idea what the church's status is these days.
    I loved seeing Rev.Billnitzers name. I am a child of the 1950's and we lived on Murray Hill and I went to Crary Elementary on Purtian. Me and my 5 siblings were baptized at Victory Lutheran by Pastor Wakie. I have very fond memories of attending sunday school, family picnics and singing in the Christmas program dressed like an angel with two black eyes from falling down the stairs a couple days before the program.

We moved away before I entered my teens but when I was engaged I went back to Victor Lutheran to ask Pastor Wakie. He was replaced by Rev. Billnitzer who married us plus we went through premarital secessions with him beforehand. I still have the marriage handbook he gave us. "thanks for the memories"

I'm responding for me and my wife, Helen. Her mother and dad were among the founding members of Victory. Before the church was built, services were held in Crary School auditorium. Helen's mom played the piano. After the church was built and the organ installed, the organist who took over was to become our brother-in-law. We were married in a double ceremony. The other bride was my wife's sister. We are wondering if there is anyone who remembers those days? l

When was the church built? I went there as a kid in the sixties. My Mom and Dad, Earle and Patricia Stevenson were involved in the church but I am not sure in what capacity. I remember the baseball team. I think it was in the Mel Ott league and my older brothers played and I was a bat boy. I have such fond memories of Victory Church that I have never forgotten it. I live out of state now and I am southern Baptist now. My parents are deceased now and I haven't spoken to my older brothers in years . All I have are the memories.

Hi all! It is amazing what you can find just surfing! My dad, William G. Wacke was the founding pastor of Victory Lutheran Church. The first services were held at the Crary Elementary school, and the first church at Puritan and Rutherford was built in 1946. I have old movies of the progress from ground breaking to the first service held. I also have old movies of banquets, and other functions held at the church. It was part of the ALC [[American Lutheran Church). The first parsonage was at 16511 Biltmore [[where I was born in 1953) and the second parsonage was at 16803 Winthrop where we lived until we moved to Saginaw, Mi. in the early 60's. My name is Gretchen, and my email address is Iceonfire1878@aol.com if anyone would like to write to me.

My Dad was the Rev. Harold Billnitzer at Victory Lutheran in the 1960s - early 1970s.
    Then your dad married my mom and dad and baptized my brother. Sad to hear about the affliction he suffered. Victory may've been a better location than any I suffered.