Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gordie Howe suffers serious stroke

Hopefully, Gordie can pull through this crisis but based on what his son Murray is saying the situation doesn't look good.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...roke/18089603/

It might very well be the time God calls upon Gordie to come to the big skating rink in the sky soon. It's not for us to keep Gordie here forever. That would be selfish of us. Colleen probably wouldn't mind her husband at her side too.

We've been seriously blessed in this town to have such a monumental man play hockey here and be a huge part of this community.

I lived next to his home in Traverse City in the nineties. His wife Colleen was so gracious when my kids visited us and played with their grandkids. He would really lite up the restaurant when the stopped by! We wish him well.

My thoughts and prayers are with Gordie and his family.

Just a couple of years ago Gordie was signing books in the concourse of the Joe. I had my puck-bunny daughter with me. For the price of the book and autograph [[$75), we both got to meet Gordie and shake his hand. He cracked a small joke and posed for a picture with my daughter.

It was an honor and a treat. He was just beginning to look a little frail, but what a gentleman.

I remember, going to sleep at night, listening to the Red Wings game on my little blue radio. Seems like yesterday. He was our Detroit hero back then and one we can still be very proud of.

Good luck and hoping for full recovery to the Mr. Nice Guy of Detroit sports.