Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Radio Daze - Detroit Dial

I've always been a car radio button pusher. AM, FM doesn't matter. I fully realize that advertising revenue keeps a stations transmitter humming, but it's all too much. I want to stay loyal to local radio but its oppressive. I'm talking news and sports, here. Don't ad guys know that people are running up and down the dial to flee the ads on any station?

The commercial breaks on a ratings leader like "The Ticket" are usually [[always?) 5 minutes long. If there is a good segment developing it is cut off by Belle Tire or, or, or, thank God, I can't remember any other advertisers!! Take that, media ad sales types!

On the other hand, Matt Shepard on the AM side of local sports talk radio, and a show I listen to daily, can't be making a lot of revenue with as many public service announcements as he airs....can he ? I kind of feel sorry for his show, in that regard, though I button push through those spots as well. But I only have to wait, maybe, 2 minutes before Matt comes back from a break. [[Oh, right, forgot, Matt pushes Buicks' twice an hour, also. Jingle, Jingle.)

Are you a car radio button pusher too ?

Sometimes. I pretty much listen to the same stuff, but sometimes the commercial breaks are too long. I’ll listen to WWJ in the morning, 580AM for oldies [[good station), the Ticket for any relevant sports during drive time and finally Drew and Mark on 105.1 after I get sick of Valenti and Foster rehashing the same thing over and over. I would say 580AM has the least commercials and is a better alternative to 104.3, which has changed format drastically over the last few years.

Can't forget to listen to Gerald McBride Saturday nights on 92.3 !!

Stop pushing buttons. I know I am stepping into the zone of apostasy here but I recommend listening to government supported radio. And I do not mean the miserly supported NPR and APR available in this market with their ever increasing begathons.

Set your radio dial to FM 89.9 and 103.9. The former is Radio Canada 2 English the latter is ICI Musique Radio Canada Francaise. I have never been disappointed in the programming. The news is on the hour. No commercials ever. Great programming websites.

The nice thing about ICI Musique is when I hear the news, I never get upset because I do not understand a word they are saying.

Save your ears and blisters on your fingers, take my advise.