Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are there any all night spots in the New Center?

I couldn't sleep the other night and wanted to get out of the house for a bit but couldn't think of anywhere to go. I could have gone downtown but didn't feel like driving. So I started to wonder if there are any all night places[[coffee shops,diners,etc)in the New Center area?I couldn't think of a single one. Are there any?

Henry Ford ER is always hopping that time of night. Right down the block. It must have a coffee machine.

That's an idea, the hospital cafeteria. I don't wander much at night anymore, but I have been in there in the wee hours a few times.

Once we get Light Rail you wont have to worry about driving Downtown!

Bearinabox Guest

Does White Castle count?

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Once we get Light Rail you wont have to worry about driving Downtown!
    I doubt we'll get 24-hour light rail anytime soon. There's always the Dexter bus, though.

South Beach Pizza Bar on Second and Grand Blvd always looks busy whenever I drive by. Another option would be Hamtramck. It's only on the other side of 75, and you open up a world of opportunities.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Henry Ford ER is always hopping that time of night. Right down the block. It must have a coffee machine.
    Ha!Ha! Why aren't you in show biz. With material like that you'd make all of .50 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    South Beach Pizza Bar on Second and Grand Blvd always looks busy whenever I drive by. Another option would be Hamtramck. It's only on the other side of 75, and you open up a world of opportunities.

-Tahleel
    I love shopping in Hamtramck. I think it's a nice city but it's not exactly what consider within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Does White Castle count?

I doubt we'll get 24-hour light rail anytime soon. There's always the Dexter bus, though.
    White Castle?I'm not asking about gas stations

Does anyone:
    A. Remember Biff's and
    B. Remember the Biff's in the New Center area?

I recall them maybe being on second or third block of W. Baltimore. A lot of us used to go there for 2:30 AM breakfasts after the bars and clubs closed.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Ha!Ha! Why aren't you in show biz. With material like that you'd make all of .50 cents.
    He's only worth half a penny?

iearthed I'd feel robbed if I paid 1/2 penny

There was a Biff's in Sterling Heights between 17 and 18 mile on Van Dyke back in the 60's/70's.

trotwood, I can think of a few places, but your walking distance and mine might be quite different. You might want to tell us the closest intersection to your abode and a idea on how far you like to walk.

Nothing against New Center, I absolutely love that area, but the "Downtown" part of New Center isn't a night spot, it's strictly business oriented. Once the workers leave for the day, places tend to wind down in that area. None the less, it's a wonderful spot with some beautiful neighborhoods. On the other hand, if you live in New Center, you don't have to drive to get downtown. Take the bus, it's easy, convenient and New Center has TWO 24 hour bus routes serving it [[Dexter 16 and Woodward 53). Don't be afraid of buses, they are a wonderful tool to utilize.

Ahhh, for the good ol' days of Chris & Carl's. Oh, and those late late nights at Red Barn on W. Grand Blvd.

I remember Biff's well, used to go to the one on E. Jefferson a lot from the time I was a kid. A friend of mine was going out with one of the waitresses at the Biff's up by Rosedale Park for awhile, and we used to regularly score free late night/early morning breakfasts there once the manager left for the night. I once got stuck at the Biff's in downtown Windsor for several hours overnight during a driving snow storm when my car broke down - that's when I learned that drinking more than 12 cups of coffee at a sitting can have some rather disturbing health effects.

There is Northern Lights Lounge on W Baltimore which is quite nice and of course there is always The Eagle on Holden as well

Don't know how out of date this is, but does this help?

http://www.newcenterplace.com/restaurants.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    trotwood, I can think of a few places, but your walking distance and mine might be quite different. You might want to tell us the closest intersection to your abode and a idea on how far you like to walk.
    I'm not far from Woodward&Grand Blvd. As far as how far I'm willing to walk well I'm not really sure though I know I don't want to walk all the way downtown or to Hamtramck from where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    Nothing against New Center, I absolutely love that area, but the "Downtown" part of New Center isn't a night spot, it's strictly business oriented. Once the workers leave for the day, places tend to wind down in that area. None the less, it's a wonderful spot with some beautiful neighborhoods. On the other hand, if you live in New Center, you don't have to drive to get downtown. Take the bus, it's easy, convenient and New Center has TWO 24 hour bus routes serving it [[Dexter 16 and Woodward 53). Don't be afraid of buses, they are a wonderful tool to utilize.
    DC I took the bus for many years when I first got to the city. Matter of fact when gas took that huge spike recently I started taking the bus whenever I could instead of driving. It's not that I'm afraid of the buses but I can't stand the rudeness of the DOT drivers. More times than not they seem to go out of their way to be as rude and dry as they can to passengers.It baffles me to no end when I get on a bus& greet the driver with a "Good morning/evening" and give them a "Thank you very much"as I exit the bus and all I get in return is a blank stare&silence. They seem to either be surprised or just not interested in simple courtesy. That's one of the reasons I prefer Smart over DOT. Thanks for the repsonse DC!
    Thank you too Doug&Norwalk.

I have never really found that on the busses. As mentioned before Northern Lights, The Eagle [[gay leather bar) but has an interesting sunday night call Disco Secret, the Woodward [[gay African American bar at Woodward and Baltimore I think its next to Detroit Hardware) enter from the back parking lot, has really great burgers, A tad on the longer side would be Circa 1890 on Cass across from Wayne State. Those are really all of your options. I used to live in the area until April. Hope it was a help.

northers lights
    Z's Villa might count

There's also Firewater on Milwaukee and Brush. That corner is bouncing whenever I pass it on the way to Northern Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by 6nois View Post
    I have never really found that on the busses.
    I'd just like to point this out as an instance disagreeing politely, without saying how anyone with a different take was insane, lying, or a poseur from Lake Orion, and then getting on with the actual topic of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by 6nois View Post
    I have never really found that on the busses. As mentioned before Northern Lights, The Eagle [[gay leather bar) but has an interesting sunday night call Disco Secret, the Woodward [[gay African American bar at Woodward and Baltimore I think its next to Detroit Hardware) enter from the back parking lot, has really great burgers, A tad on the longer side would be Circa 1890 on Cass across from Wayne State. Those are really all of your options. I used to live in the area until April. Hope it was a help.
    What's Circa 1890?
    Thanks 6nois

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast