Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Willi Guest

Default Should State Lottery have more prizes ?

If the governor really cared about the folks in Detroit wouldn't he have
    the State Lottery let more people win smaller sums of money ?
    One person with a 10 million dollar prize -versus- 10 people for a million ?

It would never happen! The Michigan State Lottery is making money out of sore losers. At least most of the profits will go to public education [[ if your student goes to school on count day.) Decreasing gambling odds for easy money winnings will cause the Michigan State Treasury to lose money. It's better for sore losers to gamble more money out of their Friday's paycheck than creating easy winnings.

When I first saw this thread, I actually misread "Prizes" as "Pizzas".

The larger the prize, the more tickets are sold. That's why you have the mega lotteries. Lower the prizes and before you know it you have bridge cards being spent on other stuff like food.

How about a Penske or Uhaul package that moves a family of five and 10 rooms of furniture to Texas? You could give away thousands of those. Lots of takers too.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The larger the prize, the more tickets are sold. That's why you have the mega lotteries. Lower the prizes and before you know it you have bridge cards being spent on other stuff like food.
    What other than food do you buy with your bridge card...

Willi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    When I first saw this thread, I actually misread "Prizes" as "Pizzas".
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

On topic, the lottery is an excellent tax on poor people and seems to be working perfectly fine as is.

Should this thread be moved off Discuss Detroit? Pertains to a State of MI department.

Willi Guest

Maybe people in the D need more hope, in the form of lottery tickets, and prizes ?

Michigan lottery already has multiple lottery games for every price point and just about every odds levels. The lotto 47 falls into the price/odds/payouts you are looking for. The MegaMillions and Powerball are just more famous because of the astronomical odds and huge payouts.

You may already be a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    You may already be a loser.
    Chances are, 99.9999999% of us are losers at this game. Makes me feel good, kind of.