Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Motown: The Musical

Awesome. Go see it.

For those of you wanting more info: http://www.motownthemusical.com/

It's showing at the Fisher now through November 16th: http://www.broadwayindetroit.com/engine.cfm?i=186

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Awesome. Go see it.
    I assume the final act has them up and leaving the city to move to LA? Or is the final act a clumsy time when everyone gathers back in the city to make a few bucks then move on leaving it, again, in their rear view mirror.

Just saw it yesterday. Seemed like a nice safe thing to take the in-laws to see. I personally thought the show was a bit clunky, and got too caught up in a lot of indifferently written, but somehow too hurried, talky exposition.

But it did really come alive during some of the musical numbers, and many of the performers were clearly extremely talented. I really thought it could have done with some editing, and some longer musical numbers rather than the truncated or medley-ed songs punctuated by "dramatic" scenes that only left me wanting more of the music.

The show is long on Supremes and Tempts numbers, features big splashy bits on the Jackson 5 and Mary Wells, has Smokey and Marvin Gaye as central dramatic characters [[as they should be), but other than a couple of scenes at the beginning and the end is notably short on the Four Tops and Stevie Wonder.

Strangely, for a show that had some significant input [[writer and producer) from Berry Gordy, he does not come off as an unalloyed hero. Although his affair with Diana Ross is made longer and more serious than it apparently actually was, and all but his first marriage are left out of the script entirely.

The move to L.A. is prominently featured, and interestingly is scripted as a big part of the loss of the company's soul that leads to its eventual downfall.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-27-14 at 02:44 PM.

We too saw it opening night and agree 100% with EastSideAl - very nice review. It seemed that some of the musical acts were too condensed and some other parts too long. It also felt a bit "clunky" to me, but overall, it REALLY was good. I am VERY glad I went and would highly recommend it.