Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: RIP: Jack Bruce

Default RIP: Jack Bruce

Vocalist, bassist and main songwriter for Cream
    Last edited by rb336; October-25-14 at 11:34 AM.

That is close to home. We children of the 60's are likely all cast back there, no doubt, by hearing this music. Couldn't you smell the pot smoke during that video?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    That is close to home. We children of the 60's are likely all cast back there, no doubt, by hearing this music. Couldn't you smell the pot smoke during that video?
    yeah, but it was coming from my neighbors

Not me, we were sitting on the second floor porch roof at 4470, taking in the night air, playing Cream and Iggy on the phonograph inside. Those were the days, my friend.

Indeed that was a classic Cream song. Awesome drum work and vocals ala Clapton.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Indeed that was a classic Cream song. Awesome drum work and vocals ala Clapton.
    Clapton's vocals were secondary - as they were on most Cream songs

In your opinion. I think differently with regards to that 'particular' song. Dig?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    In your opinion. I think differently with regards to that 'particular' song. Dig?
    I think he meant that Jack Bruce sang lead more often than Clapton.

Yep, I had an affinity to prefer Clapton parts even where small, even then. Everyone knows Bruce was the lead in that song. Yet it's like when you find yourself getting into the background vocals of a song, beyond the lead.

And some of the background singers become leads later......
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-27-14 at 05:44 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZL32LAtVVA

The Jack Bruce penned tune "Theme For An Imaginary Western" is a favorite of mine.
    Couldn't find that one though.
    Last edited by Downriviera; October-27-14 at 06:46 AM.

I liked that one too... what a trip down memory lane. Indeed RIP JB....

Still remember seeing him play at the Grande Ballroom with Cream. My friend and neighbor, a damned good bass player, was amazed. He kept pointing out things that Jack was doing with his instrument that "nobody else does". I just liked what I heard. We both stood there, right in front of him, nodding and smiling through the whole show.
    It was good.

There is a clip out there with Jack and Ginger arguing about time [[in the musical sense) Baker later said that "Bruce had no understanding of time," which he later tamed down to "we have a different understanding of time"

ps - I am deeply envious that you got to see that show. My "time machine trips" would include seeing one of those shows - and seeing the original King Crimson line-up

You forgot to add "mixed in with the scent of incense". My friend and I saw "Beware of Mr. Baker" last Spring @ the DFT. Saw Cream @ the Grande. I own a couple of his Jazz CDs. Excellent drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You forgot to add "mixed in with the scent of incense". My friend and I saw "Beware of Mr. Baker" last Spring @ the DFT. Saw Cream @ the Grande. I own a couple of his Jazz CDs. Excellent drummer.
    Brilliant. Top 5 all-time. Major jackass. Top 5 all-time.

It's amazing to me that Bruce couldn't continue with a more successful solo career.

I guess I'm in a minority here but I never really got into Cream. Jack Bruce seemed like a nice guy though. I've seen some interviews with him. Here's part of one from last year:

http://youtu.be/zFJt42dzcgE
    Last edited by Pam; October-30-14 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Brilliant. Top 5 all-time. Major jackass. Top 5 all-time.

It's amazing to me that Bruce couldn't continue with a more successful solo career.
    Are you addressing me?

He was good enough to play with Tony Williams and John McLaughlin too. With that said, Ginger Baker can't say shit about Jack Bruce's playing. Ginger wishes he could have played like Elvin and Art.

Not me, we were sitting on the second floor porch roof at 4470, taking in the night air, playing Cream and Iggy on the phonograph inside. Those were the days, my friend.
    I think we were at 4625, nearly across the street from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    He was good enough to play with Tony Williams and John McLaughlin too. With that said, Ginger Baker can't say shit about Jack Bruce's playing. Ginger wishes he could have played like Elvin and Art.
    There was a drum duel between GB an Art Blakey - he did them against TONS of people - mostly jazz players [[including buddy rich and AB) - and [[mostly) held his own.
    Last edited by rb336; January-04-15 at 10:52 AM.