Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Strathmore Apartments in Midtown Moving Forward

can't wait for them to power wash the damn building.. so sick of seeing that graffiti every day

I drove by today and noticed the chute on the side of the building. I wonder where parking is going to be located.

Uggg, I really dislike that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    I drove by today and noticed the chute on the side of the building. I wonder where parking is going to be located.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Uggg, I really dislike that question.
    128 units and you don't think parking is going to be an issue? I think the question is valid.

Knock down the church for parking! It's too historic for my liking!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Knock down the church for parking! It's too historic for my liking!
    hahah this gave me a good chuckle.

maybe build a structure on that lot that's currently next to it/ behind the PNC bank?

I'm curious... both the 13 story Eddystone and Harbor Lights Hotel Buildings appear to be in a similar condition and size to the wider 8 story Strathmore.... therefore would a $32 million figure be a close ballpark figure for each of their restorations?

If the Strathmore restoration can make a go of it standalone in Midtown... one would think that a similar pair of apartment block restorations right in an exciting new arena district would be even more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

maybe build a structure on that lot that's currently next to it/ behind the PNC bank?
    That's what I was thinking

This was in the email that I got from Midtown, Inc. today:

"Environmental remediation work on The Strathmore has begun. Construction on the 129-unit residential building is scheduled to be completed in 18 months."

The words "has begun" are always music to my ears on a project such as this.

The Stathmore Apts. went to from crackhead motel to the 5 star Apts for middle class yuppified hip cool skinny jeaned geek eyeglasses mocha drinking hipsters. Even Phil Drummond and his family can live there with a big penthouse in the sky.

I just did a Google Earth measurement of the Strathmore versus the Eddystone & Park Ave. Hotel... and the Strathmore footprint is about equal to that of the other two combined [[taking into account that the Strathmore has a central light well). Now granted the Strathmore is only 8 stories versus the other two at 13 stories... but it is still a larger project than either of those individually.

It boggles the mind that Ilitch can't make a go of the Eddystone/Park Ave., what with the availability of Historic Tax Credits, and other funding sources! With being in the Arena zone, it makes it even more perplexing that Ilitch Holdings cannot find a use. They might as well admit that since they've never done it before [[adaptive reuse)... they don't know how!!
    Last edited by Gistok; December-12-14 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Stathmore Apts. went to from crackhead motel to the 5 star Apts for middle class yuppified hip cool skinny jeaned geek eyeglasses mocha drinking hipsters. Even Phil Drummond and his family can live there with a big penthouse in the sky.
    What's up with the attitude toward young people and/or "hipsters" on this forum? If the person is a good tenant and pays the rent on time, what's it matter how they dress or what they drink or do in their free time? You sound like one of those guys on Duck Dynasty who thinks people who wear skinny jeans or have glasses are gay and destined for damnation.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    What's up with the attitude toward young people and/or "hipsters" on this forum? If the person is a good tenant and pays the rent on time, what's it matter how they dress or what they drink or do in their free time? You sound like one of those guys on Duck Dynasty who thinks people who wear skinny jeans or have glasses are gay and destined for damnation.
    With gentrification going in fast pace in Midtown, who needs poor people. When I saw the new Hopcat Lounge opening soon. This black Detroiter came up to me and said "Where are the Black people and their businesses?" I answered, " They move to Southfield, MI."

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    With gentrification going in fast pace in Midtown, who needs poor people. When I saw the new Hopcat Lounge opening soon. This black Detroiter came up to me and said "Where are the Black people and their businesses?" I answered, " They move to Southfield, MI."
    Then why don't you and others who think your way continue to move to Southfield so you can
    make it a ghetto and tear that down like you did to Detroit? The Strathmore wasnt originally a crackhead hotel. The area was very nice at one time before it was trashed by those who believe they are oppressed by everyone in system but have no problems having generation after generation of their people supported by it. From your response, it's clear you find having to pay your own rent and support yourself like most civilized people in the world do is beyond your comprehension. There is no shame in being poor. Blacks aren't the only poor people in this world. As lots of former poor people will tell you though the best way to get back on your feet is to get up off your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Then why don't you and others who think your way continue to move to Southfield so you can
    make it a ghetto and tear that down like you did to Detroit? The Strathmore wasnt originally a crackhead hotel. The area was very nice at one time before it was trashed by those who believe they are oppressed by everyone in system but have no problems having generation after generation of their people supported by it. From your response, it's clear you find having to pay your own rent and support yourself like most civilized people in the world do is beyond your comprehension. There is no shame in being poor. Blacks aren't the only poor people in this world. As lots of former poor people will tell you though the best way to get back on your feet is to get up off your ass.
    You show you are new to board when you choose to respond to Danny in the above manner. Give it some time and you will chuckle when you see his posts... He has been a fixture on this board so long that I could identify his posts without seeing his screen-name...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    You show you are new to board when you choose to respond to Danny in the above manner. Give it some time and you will chuckle when you see his posts... He has been a fixture on this board so long that I could identify his posts without seeing his screen-name...
    True story

This will be a major piece of blight that will no longer be stinking up the area

Downtown needs a billy sims bbq if it's gonna be real.

Quote Originally Posted by hewettbr View Post
    True story

This will be a major piece of blight that will no longer be stinking up the area
    Is there any piece of blight in Midtown that is as "major" as the Strathmore is?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Is there any piece of blight in Midtown that is as "major" as the Strathmore is?
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

Definitely not. This has been the biggest blight monster for a while now and i'm sooo damn happy it's getting fixed. Love walking by it everyday seeing them hard at work on it. Really cannot wait for the graffiti to come off and for real windows to get put in.

2a and 2b in terms of blight in midtown are park and eddystone hotels in the arena site... but those are also next in line to get [[hopefully) restored... otherwise they will be taken care of very shortly in a different manner [[wrecking ball)

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Definitely not. This has been the biggest blight monster for a while now and i'm sooo damn happy it's getting fixed. Love walking by it everyday seeing them hard at work on it. Really cannot wait for the graffiti to come off and for real windows to get put in.

2a and 2b in terms of blight in midtown are park and eddystone hotels in the arena site... but those are also next in line to get [[hopefully) restored... otherwise they will be taken care of very shortly in a different manner [[wrecking ball)
    But not without a firestorm.... City Council, the preservation community... and since it's on the National Register... probably the National Trust....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    But not without a firestorm.... City Council, the preservation community... and since it's on the National Register... probably the National Trust....
    A firestorm is not necessary. What is necessary is an outside developer with the finances and wherewithal to get the job done. I think Olympia has pretty much admitted that they don't have the experience to do it and are looking for someone who does. Of course they can be redeveloped, but not if they take as long as it took the Strathmore to get going. If the arena is finished and the Eddystone and Park Ave are still sitting there waiting for financing to even start rehab, that is not going to be acceptable. While the Ilitch companies have plenty of money and don't seem to be overly shy in spending it, there are still cash flow considerations with a project as big as the arena. There will most certainly be cost overruns. I think $650 million is just a starting figure. And now with the NCAA's booked, there is a deadline as well. I think when Chris Ilitch said they were out of scale with the rest of the area, he was referring more to amount of resources that would have to be put into them in relation to the size of their footprint than their visual size. Bottom line: if someone wants to step up, I think they will be more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    A firestorm is not necessary. What is necessary is an outside developer with the finances and wherewithal to get the job done. I think Olympia has pretty much admitted that they don't have the experience to do it and are looking for someone who does. Of course they can be redeveloped, but not if they take as long as it took the Strathmore to get going. If the arena is finished and the Eddystone and Park Ave are still sitting there waiting for financing to even start rehab, that is not going to be acceptable. While the Ilitch companies have plenty of money and don't seem to be overly shy in spending it, there are still cash flow considerations with a project as big as the arena. There will most certainly be cost overruns. I think $650 million is just a starting figure. And now with the NCAA's booked, there is a deadline as well. I think when Chris Ilitch said they were out of scale with the rest of the area, he was referring more to amount of resources that would have to be put into them in relation to the size of their footprint than their visual size. Bottom line: if someone wants to step up, I think they will be more than welcome.

I think you give the Ilitch's waaaay too much credit for doing the right thing...

Back about 10 years ago a Freep article talked about their business savvy and used the term "flawed brilliance"... they are very smart... but not always so. They let the United Artists Building/Theatre go to crap for over 10 years before they finally decided to put a roof over the building and theatre... long after the scrappers literally emptied out the theatre of much of its' ornate plaster medallions and busts. They owned the Fine Arts Building for 15 years before it finally had to come down because of interior collapse... only reason the facade is still there is because the Detroit Historic Commission told them it must be saved... and so it is... without anything behind it.... still nearly 10 years later...

They wanted to tear down the wonderful half timbered Women's Exchange Building on East Grand Central Park... to replace it with "a decorative sidewalk". When the courts refused their Eminent Domain request during the Stadia land purchases... they showed their vengeance by refusing to help any redeveloper get some parking spots to make this viable. It wasn't until Red Wing Chris Chelios stepped to the plate that they finally relented after almost 10 years of silence towards developers.

The Ilitch's will NOT put out a proposal for redeveloping the Eddystone or Park Ave. Hotels, and if they did... we would have heard about it by now.

So yes... they have plenty of money... but they like to control everything in their development zone... and another owner/developer for the Eddystone and Park Ave. buildings generally doesn't sit well with them. Why? Don't know... someone should ask them....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-13-14 at 05:57 PM.

Uh, I hear you relative to paying tenants verses the squalor of abandoned properties we currently have. I've seen a few of the so-called 'hipsters' moving north of West Grand Blvd. along Woodward, etc. recently... I'm like if they are responsible tenants or home buyers, come on north!

Furthermore, who's to say there'll not be black people living in the Strathmore once renovated!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    What's up with the attitude toward young people and/or "hipsters" on this forum? If the person is a good tenant and pays the rent on time, what's it matter how they dress or what they drink or do in their free time?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-14 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast