Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default I-75 & University Interchange

With the talk of the widening of I-75 and a new diverging diamond interchange in University, it made me wonder what the original design of this part of the freeway was, particularly the Chrysler interchange to exit/enter I-75. When you are exiting northbound onto University, there are large swaths of cement that look like they were used at some point for merging traffic. This is particularly noticable as you're exiting the freeway and you can see the MDOT electronic traffic sign. Another area where it appears as if the designs have changed is the overpass for Featherstone. There is more than enough room for an additional 2 lanes of traffic going under the bridge northbound, with more pavement extending out toward the M-59 entrance onto I-75 northbound.Name:  b.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  26.0 KBName:  c.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  30.3 KB

Anyone know anything about this? Any info on what this was supposed to look like or did look like? Aerial maps don't show anything back from the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

Anyone know anything about this? Any info on what this was supposed to look like or did look like? Aerial maps don't show anything back from the 60's.
    You photo is dated. Take a look at what actually exists today: http://goo.gl/maps/Dp8V9

They completed the ramp from Chrysler Drive to NB-75.

Looking at dated satellite photos from Google Earth the ramp was completed sometime AFTER 3/27/1999 but BEFORE 4/29/2002

EDIT: The ramp doesn't go directly to NB-75, it goes, but it takes you directly to the University to NB-75 ramp, with an option to turn left or right at University as well.
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-22-14 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    You photo is dated. Take a look at what actually exists today: http://goo.gl/maps/Dp8V9

Looking at dated satellite photos from Google Earth the ramp was completed sometime AFTER 3/27/1999 but BEFORE 4/29/2002
    Not quite. The Chrysler Dr. ramp goes from Chrysler Dr and merges with NB 75 traffic getting off onto University. So for those wishing to go 75N, they have to "exit" then proceed straight back onto the ramp from University.

I figured the original plan for Chrysler Dr. vis a vis NB 75 was just a simple on merge ramp but due to University exit, that would have caused a suicide merge. One side merging right, one left. It would have been a disaster. I assume engineers realized that fast [[or perhaps not) to just stop it. Just my theory...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

EDIT: The ramp doesn't go directly to NB-75, it goes, but it takes you directly to the University to NB-75 ramp, with an option to turn left or right at University as well.
    Yes, I know. The photo is off the WSU DTE aerial photo site from 1997. I know the ramp has been completed, but as dtowncitylover stated, you have no direct access to 75 until you go over university and enter the freeway. If you look at how it is today, there are large amounts of cement that were poured there, but I'm wondering why there is no direct access to 75.

Before the Chrysler Building was even thought of, the University Exit was there. I really can't make heads nor tails out of the pix you posted, which road is which and what direction. There may be a vestige of the original University ramp from northbound I-75 circled in the one picture. I went to classes at Oakland in the 80s and find myself from habit passing the new exit ramp completely by, it seems it is a mile early.

The MDOT wanted to put in a collector distributor system [[CD) at one point in the area. A CD would operate very similar ro the express/local lanes of I-96; though this segment would have been considerably shorter.

That plan was dropped at least a dozen years ago.

The University Drive bridge needs replacement badly. It is currently one of MDOT's worst bridges. The DDI [[Diverging Diamond Interchange) project will allow for the safe pedestrian crossing at this interchange as well as improve the operation of vehicles through what is sort of best described as a double single point urban interchange.

The project will require both drivers and pedestrians to get used to new patterns not seen in this part of the country. Pedestrians will actually use the center sidewalk which will be protected by a barrier.

How about just rebuilding the interchange as it is now?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The MDOT wanted to put in a collector distributor system [[CD) at one point in the area. A CD would operate very similar ro the express/local lanes of I-96; though this segment would have been considerably shorter.

That plan was dropped at least a dozen years ago.
    Thank you Planner. Seems like that would explain it.
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  43.5 KBName:  d.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  27.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    How about just rebuilding the interchange as it is now?
    The bridge is falling apart and needs to be rebuilt. So if we're going to rebuild it and there's a better design, why not use it?

Just like roundabouts, some people will complain because of CHANGE and something NEW and mysterious! However, we'll probably find that it has a lot of advantages [[such as no more left turns) when configured as a DDI.

I'm all for seeing how this will work in Michigan. If it works well, we can use the design when replacing other interchanges as well.

Willi Guest

Pontiac along Opdyke Road is basically dead to the world. I used to live up by Walton Blvd.
    Did some time at GM Pontiac East, North American Operations , a little at Validation Center.
    Any business that relied on that crowd of people took a serious hit in yearly income.
    In fact nearby Pontiac has a massive hole where the General Motors Company pulled out of.
    Maybe Chrysler and their Pentagram can save the day up in that area.
    Last edited by Willi; October-22-14 at 05:05 PM.

When they widen Featherstone Rd and built the new bridge over I-75, plus added the Chrysler Drive interchange they had long-term plans for a express/local lane system between M-59 and M-24. Basically for all of the exits through the Auburn Hills area that was rapidly expanding during this time.

Due to ever shifting funding priorities they scrapped that idea long ago and reconstructing I-75 through this area has been a much longer priority.

Originally they did not build a NB ramp from Chrysler Drive to I-75 because of some wetlands issues and that it was too close to the University drive ramps. They did reconstruct the University Drive ramps on the east side of I-75, by moving the NB ramp farther east and making it a through intersection as a part of the way to build a ramp from Chrysler Drive to NB I-75. This was several years after they opened the Chrysler Drive interchange which was around 1992 or so when it opened.

They have talked about rebuilding the University Drive bridge and interchange for about 20 years and now they really have no other choice. The bridge is literally falling down, and they had to abuptly close it earlier this year to put in some emergency supports. Auburn Hills and MDOT were able to secure some emergency funding to accelerate the reconstruction of the interchange since it is such a vital link the Auburn Hills area and Oakland University.

I-75 and University Drive is a textbook example of government mismanagement. They've bickered for decades and since there are so many entities involved, nothing gets done and no one can agree how to pay for it. Its the same stupid bridge and interchange that has been there since 1964 when the area was farm fields, OU was a handful of buildings, and it was Auburn Township. Nevermind they build a bridge on I-94 over Telegraph with football shapes in the steel....

DTWFlyer, thanks for the fascinating information!