Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fashion icon John Varvados opening up store in Detroit.

He's a world known designer with 17 stores across world. I got this info off of a news reporter's twitter.
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...medium=twitter

Last edited by getmoore; October-22-14 at 07:16 AM.

i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etc

I would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...5kdF_c.twitter

1500 woodward. it will be a 4,000 sf space. Right under Wright & Co. Opens Spring '15

Sounds great! How much for a pair of argyle socks?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Sounds great! How much for a pair of argyle socks?
    $50 per sock, minimum 3 pairs bought.

Now that's a pretty big deal.

Well. I would not be happy to be a member of the Forbes company today. This is a major blow to somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    $50 per sock, minimum 3 pairs bought.
    Try the sockman instead. He's on the overpass connecting Eastern Mark-Up to Gratiot. 12 pairs, $7.

Forbes was sitting right next to Gilbert when he made the announcement and he seemed fine with it. Keep in mind that Somerset and Forbes have a partnership in terms of Gilbert's downtown retail. Besides, I don't think there is enough available space for it at Somerset as of now.

If downtown Detroit wants to spur retail again, it will need to attract [[critical mass for one*) retailers not currently present in the Detroit market and entrepreneurs [[it sounds hipster-y, I know but mix is key). John Varvatos is a great addition to the downtown, native son and no store here, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. If we ever get an anchor, Bloomingdale's or Barneys. Perhaps Macy's should close Northland and Eastland and move downtown wishful thinking I know...

*Of course this is very much which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do we need crowds first or do the crowds follow the retail/entertainment/work, etc...anyways...

Good luck, John Varvatos!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; October-22-14 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try the sockman instead. He's on the overpass connecting Eastern Mark-Up to Gratiot. 12 pairs, $7.

That is cheaper than second hand [[or foot) at a thrift store. Worth it...

This summer I was shopping at a dept store in Montreal's downtown called Simons, and checked out this pair of shorts all crumpled and with added paint stains that were selling for 105$ on sale for 99$. They looked exactly like the ones I had just broken in and bought 5$ at a thrift store for work.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That is cheaper than second hand [[or foot) at a thrift store. Worth it...

This summer I was shopping at a dept store in Montreal's downtown called Simons, and checked out this pair of shorts all crumpled and with added paint stains that were selling for 105$ on sale for 99$. They looked exactly like the ones I had just broken in and bought 5$ at a thrift store for work.
    Fashion icon canuck opening up store in Detroit.

Maybe time to change professions?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etc

I would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!
    Correction: first real new clothing retail downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Fashion icon canuck opening up store in Detroit.

Maybe time to change professions?

I am thinking about it. I'll probably get hit by a bus before I do the change.
    Give me your spotless bluejeans and I will drill holes at the knees for 50$ a pant leg. Not a bad gig.

Great news, despite me never having heard of this "icon" before.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...l#incart_river

mlive has some shots of the store.. it's already being built out

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    He's a world known designer with 17 stores across world. I got this info off of a news reporter's twitter.
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...medium=twitter

This is awesome news! Hoping one day Detroit will get an All Saints' store!

It's nice to see this sharp looking building be used for high end retail at street level. If the store does well, we can expect some competition from retailers looking for other architectural gems to showcase their wares.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Well. I would not be happy to be a member of the Forbes company today. This is a major blow to somerset.
    I'm sure the Forbes company shares your deep concern for their financial health...

Detroit [[the city) has fallen so far down the retail totem pole, it isn't even an item for discussion. There's essentially nothing. Detroit needs to have 10% of the retail of Jos. Campeau or East Dearborn before it can compete with viable retail areas.

"Detroit needs to have 10% of the retail of Jos. Campeau..."

When was the last time you spent any time in Hamtramck or Detroit? This statement, as usual, makes very little sense.

THIS IS HUGE ! NEWS ! I shopped at his store in LA/West Hollywood , and I always wanted people like him to open a store here, but the time wasn't right .
    With the Aloft opening right down the street this is a VERY smart move .
    People who stay at high end hotels need to shop when visiting other cities .
    Now if I can talk my friend Mike Dawkins to open a store I'll be really happy .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post

So What! Varvatos wants open a store in Gilberttown Detroit, so be it. People will be jam packing in his clothier just like folks jam packing in Apple Stores. Somerset Mall got all the Nieman-Marcus-like fancy clothiers in every floor. Detroit is where the action is.
    Last edited by Danny; October-22-14 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm sure the Forbes company shares your deep concern for their financial health...

Detroit [[the city) has fallen so far down the retail totem pole, it isn't even an item for discussion. There's essentially nothing. Detroit needs to have 10% of the retail of Jos. Campeau or East Dearborn before it can compete with viable retail areas.
    And yet, here we are discussing it.

Is Detroit finally coming into it's own ? His stores and with the Aloft ,Shinola, and Roasting Planet ect , Is Detroit finally being taken seriously as a city on the move and a city to start paying attention to ?

It would seem to me that this is a pretty big business gamble for the designer. Can a store that sells high end fashion really make it in downtown Detroit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast