Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit in the forties

Does anyone remember Detroit in the mid forties? I have questions about things i vaguely remember.

I am in my Forties, I remember Detroit.

I was born later in the 40s, I remember some things before 1950. My Mom was around in the mid-40s, she would tell me lots of stories, too.

I don't think too many people still do forties in Detroit anymore. I think that whole chapter kind of fizzled out.

My 89 year old dad certainly remembers it. He talks about it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    My 89 year old dad certainly remembers it. He talks about it all the time.
    Does he tell you about the time he got into the fistfight with Hitler during the War and punched him in the nose like my Grandpa used to tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Does he tell you about the time he got into the fistfight with Hitler during the War and punched him in the nose like my Grandpa used to tell me?
    No, not quite. He does tell me though about taking a harrowing streetcar ride through the heart of the 1943 riot on his way to work at Burroughs. And his shock at finding out years later that he may have helped build a portion of the Hiroshima atomic bomb while working at Chrysler Lynch Rd.