Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Historic Detroit News Items go to State Archives

As The Detroit News packs up for the move to our new Fort Street location ...... the good news is that much of our archival material will be available for the first time for the public to see and use as research, because the bulk of it is going to the state Archives of Michigan, and is being digitized and preserved for our access, and the future.

One of the most interesting tools for genealogists and historians will be 2 million typed index cards that Pulitzer Prize winner David Ashenfelter said are "worth their weight in gold."
    Read the entire article at
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/lif...igan/17638401/

Thanks for sharing Mike. I actually had the privilege of touring the library this past year and got to meet Ms. Kaltz. They are doing some very important preservation with these card indexes. I actually got to do some research on Detroit traffic control history from these very card files.
    The reason why I got to go there in the first place was because I donated all the issues of the Detroit News I had from the Detroit riots. They did not have all the content from these issues and I gladly turned them over for scanning and digitization. They were returned to me in dust jackets and handled very carefully. Hopefully they’ll be available for public consumption someday!!

I hope that they will one day be viewable for free by the general public on the internet.

I found out last year that the Bacon Library and the Downriver Genealogical Society were going to digitize every issue of the News-Herald. It's been nearly two years since that announcement and so far only the issues up until 1945 are currently available online for free.

In addition, the Canton Library has many issues of the Canton Observer from it's 1974 creation right up to this past June on their site, plus, the Google News newspaper archive has also digitized many issues of the Windsor Star, the Michigan Daily in Ann Arbor and though they may be a bit out of our market, the Toledo Blade and Owosso's newspaper as well.

Hope this happens while we're still alive.
    Micro film is such a pain to deal with.