Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Return to Hog Island

I finally had the energy and proximity to visit Belle Isle again this Fall-gray morning.

It was peaceful, nearly all of the usual suspects were there...those souls whom I pass nearly every weekday morning.

I had a quiet stroll around the point, past ol' ItsJeff's besplintering memorial...past the battered remnants of another for Dean Osgood. Did some yoga by the new bridge on the way to freak beach. Another wonderful start of a day in strolling prayer and fresh-air meditation.

On the way out...far up the street by the ol' Police Station...four police cars flashed their new LED-obnoxiousness in a form of gauntlet. All but one of the lanes were blocked by these four, along with two others. One stopped in its tracks in the middle of the street.

I approached the only open lane cautiously, and was ready at any time to be approached...but saw a young woman being led to one of the cars. The trunk of her car had been rifled through, apparently requiring at least six uniformed witnesses. One of 'em had to glare at me while I drove through.

Innocent until proven guilty...sure thing. Tit for tat.

Sure would like to know the full story of this parade...it was an ugly way to end the perfect start of a day. I believe the city should license and copyright and trademark the name Belle Isle, but only allow the state to use it when they deserve it.

For the rest of the time, they should be forced to return to calling it Hog Island. Although some reliable old maps just call it Pig.
    Last edited by Gannon; October-20-14 at 11:02 AM.

ZING! Love it.

I visit Belle Isle usually 2-3 afternoons a week. When I do see a police presence at all, it is not over the top. I can't remember the last time I even saw someone pulled over. I severely doubt she was arrested for no reason.

Definitely a lot nicer to visit now that it's patrolled.

Return Wah-nah-be-zee to the Pottawotami.

Willi Guest

Keep your nose clean and the pig won't sniff you out. If it smells dirt, it gets curious.

Truffle-scented donuts make nice diversions.

Mr Gannon, so sorry that police are over the top. You exaggerate not at all. We also visit Couchon D'le. We present no threat and are left alone but see serious harassment. Frankly just plain creepy. But of course people who never visit have plenty to say about something they know nothing about.

Willi Guest

How exactly is it harassment to LOOK, TYPE and RUN a license plate number ?
    If all is in order, they let you move along with zero delay and a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    "Broken windows-style policing" is the kind of policing that, though giving the appearance of treating people equally, harasses the poor. To the point where the poor are intimidated and stay away.

But that was the whole point of the policing on Belle Isle, as far as I know from dozens of overheard conversations between people who have really surprised me with their over classism and unchallenged senses of white privilege.

Willi Guest

Maybe the poor don't re-new their driving licenses, plates, pay tickets, or show up in court ?
    Fix the vehicles, repair the windows, the muffler, the mirrors, etc. from salvage yards.
    Since when should a PUBLIC park be lax on the laws of the state ?

Maybe the poor don't re-new their driving licenses, plates, pay tickets, or show up in court ?
    Fix the vehicles, repair the windows, the muffler, the mirrors, etc. from salvage yards.
    Since when should a PUBLIC park be lax on the laws of the state ?
    Well, there's a great quote from Anatole France on the subject:

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

When people have a hard time deciding on whether they're going to pay the heat bill, the water bill, or the medication for their aunt, on the pittance they get from a slave wage job, because they're too honest to sell junk, I think I can understand not being able to have a car up to code or being able to pay a fine. But not "broken windows policing." Or maybe it does: The whole premise of it is that you keep harassing the poor in hopes they'll just disappear.

Is that your idea... that if they think you LOOk suspicious they can LOOK,TYPE & RUN a PLATE. That is not ok in my world view. My car is insured, plated and has a state tag. Obviously your opinion of Detroiters is Limbo low and you would be so wrong. But I guess I am soooo wrong you must spend your days on the Island making sure it is well policed.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Anyone remember the ole days when people would throw M-80's out the window while driving slowly around the island?

Willi Guest

Police run plates ALL day long - in a thousand different sites - in a hundred different cities -
    and the fact that they do it on Belle Isle is not discrimination, or racial profiling, etc.
    If you don't want the police to have instant identification capabilities, lobby the governor.

On one side of the coin, people want cameras, video, surveillance, a "presence",
    all around the D, just not exactly where the criminals play and hang during the daylight hours.
    I'm fine with running plates on the bridge inbound, every day, just like at the Windsor border.

When thread after thread I see the criticism of the law enforcement on Belle Isle by the MSP [[clearly one of the most professional law enforcement agency's in Michigan, and highly regarded nationally) my heart breaks a little bit more for all the senseless violent death that continues to claim the lives of way to many young people in the city. What the fuck is the problem? Law enforcement is necessary because it keeps women and children safe. Is there something wrong with that? Man up and grow a pair and deal with it.

As long as those on Belle Isle are being treated fairly and the same as those at other State parks I see no problem with the laws being strictly enforced. I frequently go to Proud Lake, Highland Rec and Island Lake State Parks and over the years have been stopped at all three by the DNR on multiple occasions. I've been checked for hunting licenses, had my truck [[And even my dog) checked for proper tags, been questioned why I'm entering or leaving the parks so early or so late, had my firearm and boat inspected, etc, etc, etc. I'm now middle class and middle aged and have to say none of this bothers me in the least and I'm happy that these guys are out there doing their jobs and keeping these parks safe.

That being said, I admit that 20 years ago I felt differently. When I was 17 and driving an old, barely road worthy jalopy, had a 6 pack hidden behind the seat or was busy fogging up the windows in these same parks I was not very happy to run into the DNR.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-23-14 at 07:50 PM.

I have no particular problem with law enforcement. The comment fair enforcement is apropos.

Feel free to attend the 7th precinct community meeting tonight at 6 pm at Sacred Heart. Community and enforcement need dialogue as to what a community expects. and requires. It does change from neighborhood to neighborhood.

One of my dogs is the most ticketed dog on the island, leash laws. I believe in leashes and no I didn't get those tickets. People "borrow" our dogs because they are just plain good fun. No harm, no foul! Personally feel bad the hippie naked beach got shut down. At 60 trust me I am not running around naked. I did find it amusing. Again, no harm, no foul.

Police and community need to keep a dialogue open.

Sorry, middle class and middle aged hasn't restricted me as to tolerance for youth and exuberance.

Oh, never went to see a sunset with a GQ in a brown bag but I will if I want. Restrictive rules are plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I have no particular problem with law enforcement. The comment fair enforcement is apropos.
    Oh, never went to see a sunset with a GQ in a brown bag but I will if I want. Restrictive rules are plain stupid.
    It be a GIQ, Sumas. A GIQ.

http://haveagansett.tumblr.com/post/...ands-for-giant

I first remember the GIQ because of a older lad I once knew. While everyone else was experimenting with mind altering chemicals and weed, this fella would roll around town in his Dodge with the back seat filled with Schiltz Malt Liquor GIQ's and those brown paper bags. The defining moment is when someone opened the back seat door and the empties made such a clatter as they hit the curb and street. The funny part? His name was Sobie.

Hat tip to Pam...

Last edited by Dan Wesson; October-24-14 at 06:48 AM.

I was out on Belle Isle last night, with tripod and camera, on foot. Not one person I passed, or who passed me, didn't @ least say "Hello", some stopped and chatted. Black, white, young, and old. OLD people are out there in the late evening, walking dogs, sitting in chairs. People were running/jogging, people were cycling, people were pushing baby carriages. The island hasn't felt that inviting and friendly in years. The only State Trooper I saw was sitting in his car on the South side of the island, and I swear, had DetroitYES! up on the monitor. The new pavement on the West tip looks great. The island looked clean and kept up, some older structures had fresh coats of paint, and it certainly felt safe. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, and the State still has a long way to go. But kudos to the State for stepping up to the plate and doing what the City should have, years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I was out on Belle Isle last night, with tripod and camera, on foot. Not one person I passed, or who passed me, didn't @ least say "Hello", some stopped and chatted. Black, white, young, and old. OLD people are out there in the late evening, walking dogs, sitting in chairs. People were running/jogging, people were cycling, people were pushing baby carriages. The island hasn't felt that inviting and friendly in years. The only State Trooper I saw was sitting in his car on the South side of the island, and I swear, had DetroitYES! up on the monitor. The new pavement on the West tip looks great. The island looked clean and kept up, some older structures had fresh coats of paint, and it certainly felt safe. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, and the State still has a long way to go. But kudos to the State for stepping up to the plate and doing what the City should have, years ago.
    We visit at least once a week. Last weekend I saw a lady in a beat up car backing up many, many feet and all over the road. Thought the trooper behind me would at least stop her if not more. But he pulled up along side, said a few words, and drove on.

Place ice definitely looks much better these days and I've been there many times over the years.

Thank you Dan Wesson, I try to learn something new each day. A quart is 32 oz, an IQ [[imperial quart) is 38.4, a GIQ [[giant imperial quart) is 40 ounces. According to the urban dictionary only old farts use that term. Welcome to the club old fart. Actually I don't like beer at all.

One day license to drink not hard to obtain, maybe Django can bring a martini couch down this spring, we'll pop for the drinks. Actually don't like martinis either. The thought amuses me though.

I guess I belong to the old fart club. We called em Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I thought that nude beach was closed.....maybe it's not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast