Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Willi Guest

Default The UN in the D - Hold Hearings on Water Shut-offs

Judgement Day is coming for the deadbeats who don't pay their water bills,

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...ater-shut-offs

peopleswaterboard.blogspot.com

Last edited by Willi; October-19-14 at 02:49 PM.

Willi Guest

Twitter got some action on the UN front this weekend

https://twitter.com/hashtag/unindetr...ltime&src=hash

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Judgement Day is coming for the deadbeats who don't pay their water bills,
    Wow! maybe some people do need help.

But whatever you may think or whatever side you may take on this issue. Just remember having a city of many portions of communities and many people that have no running water reflects negatively nationally and internationally on Detroit and the region. Third world, who would want to move, visit, invest there? Makes Detroit area thus Michigan look terrible no matter what side of the issue you are on.

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post

But whatever you may think or whatever side you may take on this issue. Just remember having a city of many portions of communities and many people that have no running water reflects negatively nationally and internationally on Detroit and the region. Third world, who would want to move, visit, invest there? Makes Detroit area thus Michigan look terrible no matter what side of the issue you are on.
    An organization that can't condemn Palestinian war crimes condemns Detroit? They have marginalized themselves in the minds of any thinking souls. Their comments are thus meaningless and do no harm to our reputation.

Interesting comment/s. Not televised or covered that I am aware of, was a conference in Detroit called New work, New culture. No feed/news blurbs on that. People came from across our country and global visitors. We opened our home to seven folk. I was totally charmed by the representation of ages, races and world culture. Inspiring to see so many nationalities, cultures and races unite to discuss in an intelligent fashion how we should progress as humans in an ever growing smaller challenging world.

Oops, did I say intelligent discuss? That doesn't happen in Detroit ??? according to the pure crap I keep seeing posted.

Grow up folks, Detroit never lost its synergy. I guess we are old farts now, but the Detroit I love is recreating itself in amazing new ways. so get out of the way of new life and new strength and vision.

Water is never a human right! It's our birthright. Why welfare pacifiers summon the United Nations to stop DSWD shut-offs? When Detroiters and suburbanites brought their homestead, they pay out of pocket to have water service. As long as they pay their 3 month bill without going over-due by 6 months they can keep their water on. DSWD is following their policies and guidelines and expect people to pay for their services. They will not let them use their water main and sewage clean up for free. So pay your bill and quit whining.

It also is an incentive for old timers, new Detroiters, and prospective residents, to ignore their water bills because they can get away with not paying. Could anyone on this forum tell me if there is anywhere in the United States where clean water that has been processed in a water treatment facility is free? I lived in Detroit almost 50 years. When I owned my home, there was no question about paying all my bills. We did without before I would let a bill go unpaid.

Willi Guest

Thread titles get changed on a whim................ODD

It WAS covered heavily on Social Media - regardless of which newspaper reporters slept thru it.

Willi Guest

So how was the TV coverage about the United Nations and the humanity of it all ?

CBS News telecast tonight did a fairly balanced story. A city rep explained that the city is deep in debt and has done a poor job collecting in the past but now it's only fair that everyone pay their bills. CBS reported that Duggan is allowing up to 2 yrs. to pay past debts and that 85% of people made a partial payment after their water was shut off. The UN person just said everybody's water should be turned back on immediately. Of course nobody from CBS asks how the city is supposed to supply everybody free water who doesn't want to pay and why the UN isn't calling out every other municipality in the country and the world for that matter.

Willi Guest

In the end run the United Nations can only suggest things.
    Detroit is really truly actually NOT that bad for sewer/water rates
    when compared to many other cities in the United States.

The U.N. for the most part is a farce. They enjoy the high class hookers and fine dining in NYC while running up millions in traffic and parking fines. Most of them resent or outright hate America. But they gladly accept our foreign aid. A good idea in the beginning, but it didn't last. I always have a laugh when some 3rd world dictator spouts off at the U.N. about how bad America is while murdering their own citizens by the thousands and looting his own country

Willi Guest

Today Kevin Orr said in no uncertain terms - """somebody has to pay for that """

Orr on Tuesday sought to illustrate the scale of the responsibility Detroit faces.
    "The Detroit water and sewerage system pumps 610 million gallons of fresh water
    a day and treats 710 million gallons of sewage and effluvium a day,"
    "Somebody's got to pay for that. We need to have a system

and what Mayor [[Mike) Duggan negotiated with the counties has now passed...

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...detroit_w.html

Orr is right. DWSD has to run like a business. You can't go to Meijer or Kroger and fill your cart with food and just leave with it saying I need it but I'm not paying for it. Some of the comments want to blame this mess on just one party. Both share blame.

Willi Guest

There is always room for continuous improvement, gaining efficiencies, reducing scrap, etc.
    BUT people cannot just ignore the bills for months at a time.
    Slowly they realize just how important it is to pay that Water Bill FIRST before the others.
    You can function without electricity, they have clothes for the cold, but water is necessary.
    Wonder how many folks have Rain Barrels to capture water for flushing a toilet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    There is always room for continuous improvement, gaining efficiencies, reducing scrap, etc.
    BUT people cannot just ignore the bills for months at a time.
    Slowly they realize just how important it is to pay that Water Bill FIRST before the others.
    You can function without electricity, they have clothes for the cold, but water is necessary.
    Wonder how many folks have Rain Barrels to capture water for flushing a toilet ?
    Little need here. We have cheap and plentiful water. We're not in the Southwest or Atlanta.

Willi Guest

It's the operation of cleansing, purifying, distributing the water that needs detailed analysis.
    If you think the water is beautiful and pure, you would be mistaken.

Willi Guest

People think the water bills should be paid, imagine that

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/10...sion-to/201266