Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Senator Joe Hune works to keep Teslas out of Michigan garages

"Senator Joe Hune added new language to HB5606 in an attempt to lock Tesla out of the State. Unsurprisingly, Senator Hune counts the Michigan Automobile Dealers Association as one of his top financial contributors, and his wife’s firm lobbies for the dealers." What are the big three in Detroit afraid of?

According to Tesla, "
    This amendment goes even further. It also seeks to prevent Tesla from operating a gallery in Michigan that simply provides information without conducting sales. We could even be barred from telling people about our car."

The bill is on the Governor's desk.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/raw-deal-michigan

Teslas are very impressive cars.

And it's a bummer that this anti-consumer & anti-choice thing is happening. Then again I can understand the political forces behind it [[the dealers are backed up by the traditional auto manufacturers who are headquartered and/or do a lot of business here). As far as I know, there's absolutely no Tesla investment [[manufacturing or part sourcing) within Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    "Senator Joe Hune added new language to HB5606 in an attempt to lock Tesla out of the State. Unsurprisingly, Senator Hune counts the Michigan Automobile Dealers Association as one of his top financial contributors, and his wife’s firm lobbies for the dealers." What are the big three in Detroit afraid of?

According to Tesla, "
    This amendment goes even further. It also seeks to prevent Tesla from operating a gallery in Michigan that simply provides information without conducting sales. We could even be barred from telling people about our car."

The bill is on the Governor's desk.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/raw-deal-michigan
    So much for freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So much for freedom of speech and freedom of choice.
    Christie signed similar legislation in NJ keeping them out there too. So much for Republican's undying support of free markets.

He can be had pretty cheaply. The MADA is only his 6th largest contributor.
    http://www.followthemoney.org/entity...ls?eid=1393809

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    Teslas are very impressive cars.

And it's a bummer that this anti-consumer & anti-choice thing is happening. Then again I can understand the political forces behind it [[the dealers are backed up by the traditional auto manufacturers who are headquartered and/or do a lot of business here). As far as I know, there's absolutely no Tesla investment [[manufacturing or part sourcing) within Michigan.
    Don't assume too quickly that the Big3 are in sync with the dealers here. Remember a few years ago when GM and Ford wanted to reduce the number of dealers. Same screaming.

Right now, in most states it is illegal for the Big 3 sell cars. That right is held by the dealers and the oligopoly enforced by the States.

If anything, the Big Auto is being neutral. Let Tesla do the heavy lifting. The consumers want direct purchase. Don't blame the Big Auto. We still love our dealers [[public message). We want a GM corporate store in Sommerset right next to the Apple corporate store where we control the message, salespeople, prices, service, advertising.

I cannot imagine Big Auto supporting this campaign. This is likely 100% dealers. They are not the same.

thoro Guest

Thanks Joe, glad to see we still have the best government money can buy.

Why do Republicans want to stifle free enterprise with needless government regulations and interference?

The dealers are behind this. Tesla has faced fights where ever they want to place stores.

I love the car, I have even been to one of the 'stores' in an upscale California Mall. The hood was up and there was no engine, so I went to the trunk, nope no engine there either! Turns out the rear axle contains the engine. First time I ever saw anything remotely like that. Very innovative and a lot smaller than I was expecting. Up until then the most electric of cars I have checked out have been the Volt and the C-Max energi. Way different engines.

I still won't buy one however, I won't buy a car that is made outside of the Great Lakes basin. I want to support as many local jobs as possible. Tesla is made in Fremont CA; too far for Detroit shops to ship parts to in great numbers. I'd suspect a lot of the work is done in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Why do Republicans want to stifle free enterprise with needless government regulations and interference?
    Same reason Democratics condemn urban children to sub-standard schools -- money from their base put ahead of principle.

The anti-Tesla language is the lesser part of HB 5606. The bill is mainly intended to strengthen the dealers' hand against manufacturers who would order their dealers not to add up to $200 in "document preparation" fees onto each loan-financed deal. Of course these "fees" are pure profit.

This bill is absolute proof that at least 144 Michigan legislators are on the take from the auto dealers.

The manufacturers hate these dealership laws and are hoping Tesla wins. The other manufacturers would love to open their own stores. They have their own stores in other countries.

Most of these laws are over 100 years old. They date back to a time when the OEMs weren't the political powerhouses they are now.

Willi Guest

The Big 3 have worked to KILL the evolution of Detroit for the last century and will
    continue to screw the citizens of Michigan , all in the name of profit and greed $$$$$.

Dealerships need Sledgehammers to their heads before they do anything for the consumer

I would think the price would keep them out of most Michigan garages.

Willi Guest

Oakland County alone has 1.2 million people and is STILL one of the wealthiest in the country.
    Oakland County's 2013 median household income rose from $64,336 to $67,202.
    A full 16% of those 1 million residents makes over $100,00 a year .
    Another 8% manage to pull in $200,000 each year.
    They are not a poor county. Figure in the Dual Income no kids scenario , easy Tesla scenario.

http://www.bestplaces.net/economy/co...chigan/oakland
    Last edited by Willi; October-17-14 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The manufacturers hate these dealership laws and are hoping Tesla wins. The other manufacturers would love to open their own stores. They have their own stores in other countries.

Most of these laws are over 100 years old. They date back to a time when the OEMs weren't the political powerhouses they are now.
    anyone remember what happened last time a dealership tried to go against those laws?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I would think the price would keep them out of most Michigan garages.
    I don't know... see plenty of 7-series, S-class, A8s...etc rolling around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    anyone remember what happened last time a dealership tried to go against those laws?
    Do you mean the last time BIG AUTO tried to go against the dealers? Yes.

But this situation is different. There are no Tesla dealers. So here you have a car company that will be 100% blocked out of the market. Before, people could still buy their Toyota or Ford from the dealer -- with the giant company logo on the building. Now, nobody can buy nothing -- because Mr. Musk's company is still pretty small, and he's got time before he cares whether a Michigander or New Jersian can buy his car locally. What he DOESN'T want is someone between him and his customers.

"Same reason Democratics condemn urban children to sub-standard schools -- money from their base put ahead of principle." That's one of the most asinine comments I've read from you. And considering how much Republican crap you throw around these threads, that says a lot.

I saw one down the street this morning with a Michigan plate so there is a way you can buy them.

BTW - - I doubt it's correct to call the 3 auto companies in Detroit "the Big 3" anymore; seeing that FCA is a low 7th in ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    The Big 3 have worked to KILL the evolution of Detroit for the last century and will
    continue to screw the citizens of Michigan , all in the name of profit and greed $$$$$.

Dealerships need Sledgehammers to their heads before they do anything for the consumer
    It is not the big 3. Remember that this it is the same for Toyota, Mercedes, Kia, Honda, etc....

Willi Guest

Big 3, Little 7 - this that and the other nitwit - its collusion crushing the evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Same reason Democratics condemn urban children to sub-standard schools -- money from their base put ahead of principle." That's one of the most asinine comments I've read from you. And considering how much Republican crap you throw around these threads, that says a lot.
    Seems precisely like two sides of the same coin to me. Both parties protect their constituent base, with selective enforcement of their principles. It was an indictment of both parties.

You're 100% right on this. But I think you'll find a lot of Democrats taking the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Big 3, Little 7 - this that and the other nitwit - its collusion crushing the evolution
    Yeah but its not the car companies, its the dealers. They are afraid that if Tesla starts doing that, then why not GM and Ford bypass them and sell directly to consumers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast